Electron EBBS

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
aerworuld

Electron EBBS

Postby aerworuld » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Over the years, I have a ragged-bagged bunch of threads with my dribblings about hosting a BBS on my Acorn Electron.

I have amassed the necessary hardware since i began the cry-baby whining on here:

PACE RS423 i/f \:D/
PACE Nightingale Modem
Electron MRB (64k mode)
2xfloppy DFS drives
the ability to run a ROM and the image of the EBBS ROM (written/adapted by - and kindly provided by - Scott Green)

So I still need the BBS hosting software. On the Beeb, the most spoken about of these seems to be OBBS, info here. OBBS (by Rob O'Donnell) was written for Pace to use with the NIghtingale modem, which is the modem that I have. Here is the OBBS manual.

There was a thread on here speaking about OBBS too and it teases us because at the time I had the .dsd images for it!!! I was working on them on a Beeb (which since went to raise funds) I know back then I had all but given up on the Elk BBS and was ready to do things the easy way, but I'm so close! I have lost the laptop (it died) that contained the .dsd images of the OBBS and I am hunting high and low to see if i kept floppies, but it's unlike me not to be organised so I am worried they are lost.

So, objectives:

1. Find the .dsd images of OBBS (which I must have got from a member or on the net somewhere
*****EDIT***** now located from my original pm's with Jon. Original zip now attached.
2. Convert them to work with the EBBS ROM as the EBBS floppies that Scott Green had were converted from Beeb OBBS.

I have lost contact with Scott so I think we may need to have a go at reverse-engineering the ROM to figure out where to go from here. I am well out of my depth with that, is anyone up for that challenge?

Stuart [-o<
Attachments
obbs.zip
(283.11 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
EBBS.ROM.zip
(6.46 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by aerworuld on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Re: Electron EBBS

Postby Elminster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I guess if you had one of the ethernet/wifi solutions a rediscovered board could be updated to run both serial dialup and internet telnet access. Then the people with out rs432 or a modem could still join in the squirrel bbs fun.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:44 pm

IMG_20170618_173733.jpg
EBBS ROM running on Elk

Here's a piccy of the EBBS ROM running on my Elk. Doesn't seem to do much without the accompanying software.

Elminster wrote:I guess if you had one of the ethernet/wifi solutions a rediscovered board could be updated to run both serial dialup and internet telnet access. Then the people with out rs432 or a modem could still join in the squirrel bbs fun.

That would be spectacular! If it could be done...

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Don't see why not. I have a working telnet client on beeb, how hard can it be to do the server bit :D ........

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Are you still looking for EBBS system software? I found some floppies marked EBBS, but they seem to be formatted using a high density format so it would take some effort to actually read them (if you are now sorted I won't bother).
Paul

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Are you still looking for EBBS system software? I found some floppies marked EBBS, but they seem to be formatted using a high density format so it would take some effort to actually read them (if you are now sorted I won't bother).

I am indeed still in need!

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm

I am assuming you will only have the various runnable program once e erything is recovered and not the source?

So probably still a job for someone to disassemble the code, assuming it is not in Basic.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 pm

aerworuld wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:Are you still looking for EBBS system software? I found some floppies marked EBBS, but they seem to be formatted using a high density format so it would take some effort to actually read them (if you are now sorted I won't bother).

I am indeed still in need!

Ok, I installed my Master, copied the files on a normal 400K disc and imaged it as a double sided disk image (dsd, attached). Luckily it all fitted.

It seems to be a system disk of an existing BBS system:
BBS.jpg

I hope it is of use :D
Attachments
EBBS System Disk.zip
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Paul

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 pm

^^^^ excellent work sir! I will run this tomorrow and see what occurs ;-) I will need to dig out my Mode 7 emulator ROM by the look of it... There was another piece of software called EBBS on the Beeb, different to the conversation to the Electron of OBBS that was also named EBBS..... how confunfuddling does it need to be.... so I'm thinking what you have here might be that other Beeb proggy, but we shall see!

Thank you :-)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

By the time you get it all working you probably could have written it from scratch :twisted:

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 am

Elminster wrote:By the time you get it all working you probably could have written it from scratch :twisted:

Hah, yeah, it's easy to go off an idea :roll:

Return to “general”