Chris' Acorn RISC OS pages

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
Zarchos

Chris' Acorn RISC OS pages

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I'd like to know if sbdy from here is in contact with the maintainer of the Chris's Acorns pages web site, and if this person would be ok to add some infos to this great site.
I've noticed not only I own some expansion boards not listed on the site (and rare, like some expansion boards by Millipede), but some other *. members too own some rarities, and it would be a nice community project to keep on filling Chris' database, wouldn't it ?

danielj

Re: Chris' Acorn RISC OS pages

Postby danielj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Chris's acorns is now "archived", so should be considered static. He moved it to the Centre for Computing History and it's unfortunately no longer updated :(
d.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:50 pm

danielj wrote:Chris's acorns is now "archived", so should be considered static. He moved it to the Centre for Computing History and it's unfortunately no longer updated :(
d.

Nobody at the CCH is interested by enriching the database ?
Weird. And a pity.

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm

It's preserved as it was when Chris decided to finish it. It's an account of items in his collection which he donated, lock-stock, to the centre for computing history along with the website. Alas, it's an artefact which is a useful resource rather than something that's still alive.

d.

poink

Postby poink » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:21 am

danielj wrote:It's preserved as it was when Chris decided to finish it. It's an account of items in his collection which he donated, lock-stock, to the centre for computing history along with the website. Alas, it's an artefact which is a useful resource rather than something that's still alive.

Perhaps we could go the other way and make one that's still updated; if permission was forthcoming?

(One thing I'd love is to update the photos to be significantly higher resolution - I've often wanted to be able to read chip numbers etc.,)

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 am

poink wrote:
danielj wrote:It's preserved as it was when Chris decided to finish it. It's an account of items in his collection which he donated, lock-stock, to the centre for computing history along with the website. Alas, it's an artefact which is a useful resource rather than something that's still alive.

Perhaps we could go the other way and make one that's still updated; if permission was forthcoming?

(One thing I'd love is to update the photos to be significantly higher resolution - I've often wanted to be able to read chip numbers etc.,)

It's a good idea.
Who could ask (not me with my Frenglish [-X ) ?

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I know my site is based on my collection ATM but it'd be easy to extend it to other Acorn hardware kind of like the BBOAH. It's fully content managed so adding a page per piece of hardware is easy as Pi(e). :lol:

Certainly, I've got photo's of hardware I don't own but has passed through my hands at some time or another that I've not added to the site and there are a few bits of hardware that I've documented because there's nothing elsewhere so adding this resource wouldn't be too difficult.

Paul

JonC

Postby JonC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:49 am

How about wiki-fying (not a real word! :) ) it?

So people can login and make changes without having a single content manager? :idea:
Jon

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:51 am

JonC wrote:How about wiki-fying (not a real word! :) ) it?

So people can login and make changes without having a single content manager? :idea:

Very good idea.
It would be a good idea to also add infos to the Archimedes page, and maybe create independent entries for each chip part of the chipset.
Some additional infos about the capabilities of the chipset revealed by Steve3000 with his RasterMan and VIDCBlaster are needed.

sixxdog_uk

Postby sixxdog_uk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:58 pm

I love the idea of wikifying it , Chris's page is great.

It would be a shame if it remained asleep.

Return to “community projects”