Book: Assembly Language Programming for the BBC Micro

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
dv8

Book: Assembly Language Programming for the BBC Micro

Postby dv8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 am

Here is a scanned, OCRed and fully re-typeset copy of Assembly Language Programming for the BBC Microcomputer (2nd ed.) by Ian Birnbaum.

Also included are SSD images containing all the listings in the book, answers to the exercises, and bonus utility programs that were originally supplied on an accompanying cassette.

Assembly_Language_Programming.zip
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 61 times

sirmorris

Re: Book: Assembly Language Programming for the BBC Micro

Postby sirmorris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 am

Ooooh thanks!

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Wow, this is really quality work! Well done and thanks for sharing! =D>
Paul

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Just wondering what you use to get these results? I have a load of Timex Sinclair 1500 Technical Literacy Series manuals to scan and currently can only produce a jpg or similar!

Many thanks for any info

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

dv8

Postby dv8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:Just wondering what you use to get these results?

It's a variety of (mostly commercial) software, plus a fair amount of effort :-)
Effectively, the book has been recreated in a DTP application.

Regarding your scanning project, to turn the images into text you will need some form of OCR software. Was any provided with your scanner? Many of them do come bundled these days. If not, maybe other folks could offer some software suggestions. The one I have is probably overkill just for a single project.

Anyway, this is the process I used to put the book together... (you may regret asking after seeing all this!)

For scanning I use IrfanView with it's handy 'batch acquire' feature.
Colour photos are captured at 300dpi, 24-bit.
Black+white photos are at 300dpi, 8-bit greyscale.
Text and line-art are at 600dpi, 1-bit monochrome.
I always save the scans in PNG format to preserve the image quality during editing.

Photo editing and clean-up is done in PaintShopPro, with a final conversion to JPEG if appropriate.

For OCR I use Nuance OmniPage. It wasn't cheap, but it's had loads of use over the years so the investment was worth it.
I especially like its proofreading features.

The results of the OCR are saved as plain, unformatted text which is then imported into Serif PagePlus for layout and styling.

I usually redraw diagrams and illustrations as vector art within PagePlus. It's often quicker to do this than to clean up the original bitmap scans. The end result looks better too. Only the photos are kept as bitmaps.

Finally, after adding any active components like bookmarks and hyperlinks, the PDF is created from PagePlus.

So there you have it, more work than any sensible person would normally attempt for the purposes of preserving a retro book!

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 am

Wow! I kind of suspected a lot of work had gone into this having looked at the PDF and compared it to my original book.
Well worth the effort I would say - it's a good book. =D>
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

tautology

Postby tautology » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Nice, I have the original too; this means I can archive it away from that evil sunlight!

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Nice job with some old school tools (I use psp for all my image editing, have done since its release!)

RobC

Postby RobC » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 am

Excellent job - I've had this book since I was a kid and it's a great introduction to 6502 coding on the Beeb.

It seems to have been very popular too as I've picked up numerous copies with other Beeb stuff over the years.

dv8

Postby dv8 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks all for the kind words. It's good to know the effort is appreciated :-)

tricky wrote:Nice job with some old school tools (I use psp for all my image editing, have done since its release!)

PSP has been my go to image editor for ages too. Sometimes these older lightweight tools can be more productive than their modern bloated counterparts.

RobC wrote:It seems to have been very popular too as I've picked up numerous copies with other Beeb stuff over the years.

It does turn up a lot on ebay, but most of the time it tends to be the first edition (with the green cover). This later version seems to be much less common for some reason.

andy rea

Postby andy rea » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Sweet i did a fair bit of 6502 way back on the vic and pet but hardly ever touched it on the beeb, this is fantastic and just what i need to refresh my memory and with my target system as well...

Many thanks

Andy

Return to “community projects”