Advanced BASIC ROM User Guide

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards

Advanced BASIC ROM User Guide

Postby dv8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 am

Attached is an OCRed and re-typeset copy of The Advanced BASIC ROM User Guide by Colin Pharo.

The zip file also includes an SSD containing all the listings in the book.
(263.09 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Re: Advanced BASIC ROM User Guide

Postby sweh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 am

I learned so much from this book! I'm pretty sure it almost cost me an "A" in Computer Studies at O Level.

See, there was a section on how floating point numbers were stored. And after the teacher went through the lesson I said "this is wrong; what you've described is _fixed point_ numbers. There's always 3dp in your examples". Next week she came back and said "yes, you're right".

Roll forward... and the o-level exam had a question on floating point numbers. And so, of course, I used exactly how the Beeb stored numbers (based on this book) and not the incorrect lesson.

Final grade was a "B". Huh. So we paid to get the exam re-marked. I got an "A" with the comment "The student provided an alternate but correct answer to the question".

30+ years later and I'm still convinced the official exam was wrong on floating point numbers!

And much kudos for the excellent quality PDF.