ZX Spectrum next... Anybody backing ?

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
AndyMc1280

ZX Spectrum next... Anybody backing ?

Postby AndyMc1280 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ject_share

If not and you would like to.... Just under 3 days left.

Nothing to do with me, just sharing.

New dizzy Game and a few more bits.

All in one Spectrum. :mrgreen:

1024MAK

Re: ZX Spectrum next... Anybody backing ?

Postby 1024MAK » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 am

AndyMc1280 wrote:New dizzy Game and a few more bits.

All in one Spectrum. :mrgreen:

A bit of an understatement :lol:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 am

Quite good FPGA dev kit for £100. I'm tempted.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat May 20, 2017 6:10 am

sirmorris wrote:Quite good FPGA dev kit for £100. I'm tempted.

:lol:

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 am

Keeping my money for TerribleFire ...
I love the Speccy but I worship the Archie ...

vectorlight

Postby vectorlight » Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 am

I'm down for 3 of em :D It's going to be great
3D Printing and Acorn A3010 Owner!

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat May 20, 2017 7:46 am

vectorlight wrote:I'm down for 3 of em :D It's going to be great

I feel guilty now #-o

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sat May 20, 2017 7:48 am

Yes, I'm down for one - pretty good FPGA dev, but I'm going for the cased version because that's a lot tidier. Either way it could be a universal retro emulator - put BeebFPGA on it, and put a Pi Zero in it, and Bob is your uncle. (OK, it lacks function keys, red or otherwise.)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sat May 20, 2017 8:05 am

Half a million quid and I will have a go at making a bbc, I have a soldering iron, how hard can it be :)

jonb

Postby jonb » Sat May 20, 2017 9:02 am

I don't get it,

There are zillions of perfectly good Spectrums floating around eBay. Yeah, loading, video output, joysticks yadda yadda yah, but is this the true experience? Nope. Where's my R: tape loading error? :lol:

We are still on the midst of the RCL debacle. Vega+. Albeit this is a different outfit and I really hope they succeed. They're not having any of my hard earned, though. I always thought crowdfunding was a con, because you're being asked to invest but you don't get a stake, or a guarantee of delivery of the item you are funding. It's the emperor's new clothes, and only the crowdfunding web site is laughing (as in, the only people who make money in a gold rush are the ones selling the shovels).

My £0.02's worth...

:)

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

I think it'll be delivered, but as a 'David against Goliath' minded guy, I'd rather see the already excellent Spectrum clone/compatable/whatever you'll name them enhanced machines be massively produced, advertised and sold.
Once completed I believe this new Speccy won't have half of what makes the V6Z80P a fun machine to program ...
And well the same way I love the Archie because it was brilliantly designed by only a few people with little money, the same way I'm attracted by the V6Z80P and not by this new machine now backed by trillions of pounds ...

Small is beautiful, definitely, and yes I hate people who succeed backed by massive amount of money.
'Success in an armchair' : never been sthing I could admire : with the money at some point failure is just not possible.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat May 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Well, keep in mind that most of the money is being spent on manufacturing and production. New cases and new keyboards are expensive to produce.

In terms of Spectrums, there are rather a lot of choices now, depending on your wishes and skill levels:
Sinclair Spectrum 16k issue 1 rubber key (rare)
Sinclair Spectrum 48k rubber key
Sinclair Spectrum+
Sinclair Spectrum+ 128k (toastrack)
Spanish version of the Sinclair Spectrum+ 128k (toastrack)
Amstrad made Sinclair Spectrum+2 (grey)
Amstrad made Sinclair Spectrum+2A (black) (units with a +2A PCB are rare in the U.K., as most have a +2B PCB)
Amstrad made Sinclair Spectrum+2B (black)
Amstrad made Sinclair Spectrum+3
Timex Computer 2048
Timex Computer 2068
Timex Sinclair 2068
Investronica Inves Spectrum +
Harlequin 48K PCB (can be used in a rubber key or plus case)
Harlequin 128K PCB
ZX-Spectrum Vega
ZX Uno
Just Speccy 128

Vega+ (soon hopefully)
And now the ZX Spectrum Next...

And this list does not include the Spectrum like computers that are often called clones...
(There is a list on WoS forums here ;-) )

Mark

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm

I, for one, am a big fan of the harlequin clones - proper speccies built from off the shelf parts due to the genius of a bit of reverse engineering from the die. The next would look nice on my shelf - and the case is gorgeous, but I can't see it getting more use than my Harlequin 128 or rubberkeyed 48k...

Don't get me started on the vega though. I never got that...

d.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm surprised and impressed that the Harlequin TTL recreation can fit inside the original Spectrum case!

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sat May 20, 2017 5:04 pm

jonb wrote:I always thought crowdfunding was a con, because you're being asked to invest but you don't get a stake, or a guarantee of delivery of the item you are funding.

I think 'a con' is a bit harsh, I think I would say 'a bit risky'. Some good stuff comes from crowdfunding, also some junk and some cons. I guess not everyone wants to go down the raspberry pi 'mortgage everything to the hilt and max out all the plastic' and hope you are right and get your investment back.

Still try to think of my crowdfunding idea that will make join the executive washroom brigade.

jonb

Postby jonb » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am

Just because you are putting in a relatively small amount, it does not mean it isn't a con trick. Normally, when investors are asked to invest, they get some guarantee (even if it is a stake in the business, like in Dragon's Den). With crowdfunding, there are no guarantees, and you may as well give the money away. I think all people who invest in crowdfunding should watch this before handing over their money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXOvNKdvUw

Also, looking at the RCL thing, it seems pretty obvious that most of the people who have lost out thought they were paying for the actual finished article, and are now after their money back. I think they have been misled.

I agree that some interesting stuff comes out of crowdfunding, but I'll wager that those successful projects are in the minority.

(End of rant. I'll go back to sleep now!)

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun May 21, 2017 9:08 am

The "potted history of Acorn Computers" should also serve as a cautionary tale... In fairness to the next, there's actually a physical product that's been prototyped. This one looks relatively low risk in the great scheme of things...

d.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sun May 21, 2017 9:32 am

Although I've probably made this mistake myself, it's best not to think of "investing in" or "buying from" a crowdfunding campaign - much better to think of it as "donating to." While there are of course some scamsters, a more likely failure mode is that the person or team are not good at finishing - so few people are - and another failure is having too much support. Making and shipping 20 or 50 things is something you can do in spare time, but making and shipping thousands is another kind of scale altogether.

I've never felt comfortable with the campaigns which take the money even if only partially funded - if the set-up costs have been estimated, and if there's not enough money to set up, then it's hard to see how production can start.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 am

BigEd wrote:Although I've probably made this mistake myself, it's best not to think of "investing in" or "buying from" a crowdfunding campaign - much better to think of it as "donating to." While there are of course some scamsters, a more likely failure mode is that the person or team are not good at finishing - so few people are - and another failure is having too much support. Making and shipping 20 or 50 things is something you can do in spare time, but making and shipping thousands is another kind of scale altogether.

I've never felt comfortable with the campaigns which take the money even if only partially funded - if the set-up costs have been estimated, and if there's not enough money to set up, then it's hard to see how production can start.

About the 'scale' it reminds me of the 'hive' sthing to get honey, and they collected sthig like 5 millions USD when they wanted 150 000 $ ...
Let me find back the video.
I want one.
Here it is :
https://youtu.be/WbMV9qYIXqM
As I've got a friend who worked in the industry (1st for the military, and then as a subcontractor for lifts manufacturers) he told me the guys could never produce the paid for quantity in less than 3 or 4 years ... and basically that this story was going to be a nightmare for them.

jonb

Postby jonb » Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Like I said, BigEd. May as well donate to a good cause, rather than lining some shyster's crooked pocket.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun May 21, 2017 6:54 pm

jonb wrote:Like I said, BigEd. May as well donate to a good cause, rather than lining some shyster's crooked pocket.

Can't say it is any riskier than buying acorn stuff on eBay in my experience.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun May 21, 2017 7:06 pm

On ebay you do have buyer protection, which I've used to great effect on a number of occasions. Crowdfunding your protection is precisely zipzerozilcheroonie.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Never had any luck with buyer protection on eBay when I used it, always ruled in their favour. And no issues on things I backed. I guess just depends on experience.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm

But yes better protection on crowd funding is needed. But I think it still has its place. Not that I use it much, but I have.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am

About this ZX Spectrum next; the makers claim it can be fitted in an original speccy case. I trust that will be possible but it seems unlikely that you can connect the original keyboard to the PCB? So you can fit it in the case but cannot use the keyboard? :?
Paul

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Mon May 22, 2017 11:43 am

DutchAcorn wrote:About this ZX Spectrum next; the makers claim it can be fitted in an original speccy case. I trust that will be possible but it seems unlikely that you can connect the original keyboard to the PCB? So you can fit it in the case but cannot use the keyboard? :?

The photos of the prototype boards show the correct connectors for a normal Spectrum keyboard membrane. So I presume that you can fit the board in a Spectrum case and use a Spectrum keyboard.

Mark

guesser

Postby guesser » Tue May 23, 2017 12:23 am

You missed the +3B off your list Mark! :wink:

That's the one I like to mention when someone starts bragging about their obscenely large collection with every machine in it. If they manage to get hold one of those too I just send them off looking for an ISSUE 3 +2B motherboard and an SI-1 to plug into it :twisted:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 pm

guesser wrote:You missed the +3B off your list Mark! :wink:

That's the one I like to mention when someone starts bragging about their obscenely large collection with every machine in it. If they manage to get hold one of those too I just send them off looking for an ISSUE 3 +2B motherboard and an SI-1 to plug into it :twisted:

:lol:

Mark

fordp

Postby fordp » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:31 pm

BigEd wrote:Yes, I'm down for one - pretty good FPGA dev, but I'm going for the cased version because that's a lot tidier. Either way it could be a universal retro emulator - put BeebFPGA on it, and put a Pi Zero in it, and Bob is your uncle. (OK, it lacks function keys, red or otherwise.)

I agree with BigEd. It already has a Raspberry Pi connector. I wonder where they got that idea ;)

I was thinking of a add-on with Beeb hardware ports including a real floppy interface and as it is me Midi. The Electron Floppy interface and the MGT Spectrum one are very similar :D
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!

fordp

Postby fordp » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:35 pm

1024MAK wrote: --- Snip ---
Sinclair Spectrum 16k issue 1 rubber key (rare)
--- Snip ---

The first computer I ever owned, £125 from WhSmiths in Hull.
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”