Season 7 Game nominations

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Season 7 Game nominations

Postby KarateEd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Folks,

We're nearing the end of Season 6 High Score challenge. There will be a 2 week segment just for the Champion's Challenge game and then if we do this right, we'll skip right into Season 7.

The rules will be the same.

We'll want a maximum of 3 games from anyone that's interested. Games that were not chosen for play in Season 6 may be re-chosen if you wish. Any games that were played during Season 6 are no longer in play.

Format will be the same. There was very good participation during Season 6 and I hope to see more participation down the gaming trail.

Does this format work for everyone? If you have feedback, kindly put it in this thread.

Once we're on the Friday just before the end of the Champion's Challenge, I'll compile what we have at that point.

So, nominations are open from now until 9:00 PM March 3rd (Friday) so that I can get the games compiled and get Season 7 up and running during that weekend.

Thanks folks,

Ed...... :-)

topcat96

Re: Season 7 Game nominations

Postby topcat96 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Let's go all nostalgic :)

My nominations are:

Meteors (Acornsoft)
Defender (Acornsoft)
Super Invaders (Acornsoft)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 pm

None of mine got picked last round so I'm just going to go with them again....

Hunkydori (Bugbyte)
Duck!
Blast!

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:28 am

Here's mine for what it's worth:

Snapper
Thrust
Rocket Raid

Happy with the format of the comp, let the games begin =D>

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Okey dokey...

- Banana Man (MRM)
- Estra (Firebird)
- Video's Revenge (Budgiesoft)

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

My nominations are:

1 Yie Ar Kung-Fu
2 Galactic Firebird
3 Zalaga

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks Ed for keeping the competitions going... :D =D> I nominate:

Repton (Superior Software)
Hunchback (Superior Software)
Eagle Empire (Alligata)

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 am

I'm going for

Vindaloo (Tynesoft)

Manic Miner (Software Projects)

Galaforce 2 (Superior Software)

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Jeremy Grayson wrote:- Estra (Firebird)

I never have time to take part in this competition, but I really enjoy reading the thread. I'd be fascinated to see how you all get on with Estra as it's one of my favourite games.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 pm

I've very much come to love it, too, having never played it myself first time around and still probably not at all until about 2000-ish.

There's an otherworldly, haunted feel to it. Everything, the player included, seems to move around the screen in a serene, almost dazed state... until you make a mistake and that massive crashing sound effect kicks in.

I think I'm right in saying the game of Estra I challenged Sydney to at ABug Bolton before Christmas was his first experience of the game - not sure whether he's a convert off the back of that, but he certainly ran me close. I'll have my work cut out if this game gets selected :-)

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive

sydney

Postby sydney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 am

KarateEd wrote:Format will be the same. There was very good participation during Season 6 and I hope to see more participation down the gaming trail.

Does this format work for everyone? If you have feedback, kindly put it in this thread.

I've been thinking the following for a while but the current champions choice has made me think it's worth mentioning.
How do people feel about adding a mini review of the game at the end of the round. Just a few sentences about what they liked and/or disliked about he game. Maybe rate the graphics/sound/gameplay out of 10. Electron user rated game on sound, graphics, playability, value for money and overall. Maybe in time these reviews could be added to bbcmicro.co.uk.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm

sydney wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Format will be the same. There was very good participation during Season 6 and I hope to see more participation down the gaming trail.

I've been thinking the following for a while but the current champions choice has made me think it's worth mentioning.
How do people feel about adding a mini review of the game at the end of the round. Just a few sentences about what they liked and/or disliked about he game. Maybe rate the graphics/sound/gameplay out of 10. Electron user rated game on sound, graphics, playability, value for money and overall. Maybe in time these reviews could be added to bbcmicro.co.uk.

I used to do exactly that when I used to write articles for Risc World and later Drag N Drop. I copied exactly the same scoring system from EU/MU
and used it in my articles. Would be happy to write a mini review or something about each game.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:19 pm

KarateEd wrote:How do people feel about adding a mini review of the game at the end of the round. Just a few sentences about what they liked and/or disliked about he game. Maybe rate the graphics/sound/gameplay out of 10. Electron user rated game on sound, graphics, playability, value for money and overall. Maybe in time these reviews could be added to bbcmicro.co.uk.

Count me in.

I've been wanting to ask on the bbcmicro.co.uk thread for a while whether they would be looking for that sort of web 2.0 input from users, but have held off up to now as I appreciate it's not been on the roadmap (or at least wasn't the last I checked it).

As all of the reviews on Crispin Boylan's much older and not currently updated The BBC Games Archive were quite understandably Cris's own rather than mine, adding reviews to a BBC games site feels like an itch I've been wanting to scratch since I first started contributing box scans and research and stuff to that site some - oh good God - twenty years ago :-)

(I do also mean to ask Cris whether he'd mind the various programmer/label boss interviews on TBGA being added to bbcmicro.co.uk should they ever express an interest in having them, but I'm going off massively at tangents now).

Anyway.

Graphics/sound/gameplay seem the most appropriate criteria to me for our present-day reviews, as we're probably no longer in the position to pass a fully rounded judgment on the packaging/instructions of games which many of you will be playing on emulators instead of from original tape and disc. For the same reason, unless you can remember or source the RRP, there doesn't seem to be much mileage in adding value for money as a criterion!

Just for the avoidance of doubt - would we be interpreting "gameplay" as meaning the same as "addictiveness", or would this be taken instead to mean things such as game atmosphere, responsiveness to controls, collision checking, etc. etc.? I'm just wondering whether the two things in speechmarks are best regarded as separate entities.

I'd also suggest that virtually all text adventures, plus a number of the Rogue/Dungeons and Dragons inspired titles (something like ASP's Cells and Serpents, for want of a better example) would need a separate set of criteria which included things like the parser. I do acknowledge, though, the prospects of us playing any of these in the high score challenge are pretty slight!

gc

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Ok, nominations are now closed for Season 7, we'll go with what we have.

Thanks everyone for their contribution.

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I may be too late for the nominations, but if not, here are mine:

Corporate Climber
The Mine
Bumble Bee

Return to “software: games - high scores”