High Score Challenge S7- R7 - Video's Revenge

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

High Score Challenge S7- R7 - Video's Revenge

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Stardot high score challenge
Season Seven: Round 7
Video's Revenge chosen by JeremyGrayson

======================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round One starts at 9pm on Monday the 29th of May and ends at 9pm on Monday the 12th of June
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here
======================================================================================
DISK IMAGE
:arrow: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=466
INSTRUCTIONS

SCORING
:arrow: Points will be awarded using the following formula.
:arrow: points = (YS / BS * 50) + ((NOP - YP + 1) * (50 / NOP))
:arrow: YS = Your Score
:arrow: BS = Best Score
:arrow: NOP = Number of Players
:arrow: YP = Your Position
HIGH SCORE TABLE

Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12659

Thanks to Galax for the Mode 7 fonts.

Get your action hat on folks, this looks like a lively one....Ed ...........

KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R7 - Video's Revenge

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm

OK, this is just so a score gets put up early. It's not a Picasso so go ahead and trash this score and give me a target.

Ed...... :-)

VR1.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 30, 2017 1:14 am

ok, a second score, now I'm number 1 and 2.....

VR4.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 am

Ok folks, if you're going to sleep then I'm going to play.....

VR6.png

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 am

KarateEd wrote:Ok folks, if you're going to sleep then I'm going to play.....

My excuse is I'm still at work :lol:

Planning on giving this game a go this evening, excited as I've never seen it before so something new to play :D

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 30, 2017 6:15 am

FourthStone wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Ok folks, if you're going to sleep then I'm going to play.....

My excuse is I'm still at work :lol:

Planning on giving this game a go this evening, excited as I've never seen it before so something new to play :D

I'm not good at it but it's a nice twist on let's say defender or something but vertical so it's different. Nice concept.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 am

Holy fudge! I don't think I'm going to be top scoring on this game, I just don't have the knack for games with too many things happening at once.

Interesting game though and I'll be having a few attempts when possible. I felt like I needed to constantly remind my finger to tap the * key to keep forward momentum going but also constantly tap return to keep firing because things appear (or disappear) very fast so I was trying to lock my fingers together while tapping both, maybe sticky tape will help. 8-[

Anyway my measly score: 16170
Attachments
VideoRevenge.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm

I don't think that's a bad score. I've had several games where I didn't break 3000, got lucky on a couple games but it's not that easy. There is that thing you follow that releases extra guns for your ship if you run it down. I think that helps/hinders your progress.... it helps if you get it without losing a life but it hinders if you get it and do lose a life, then you lose the opportunity to kill at will so to speak.

EDIT: If you look at the picture at the top of the page, that thing shown is what you want to destroy. Once you do, there will be an asterix left. Run over that with your ship to get the extra guns...... then if you're lucky, you'll zoom to the stars

As you play, you'll see.

Last edited by KarateEd on Tue May 30, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add clearer instructions on how to get the extra guns on your flagship

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 pm

The key is to have the ship with the extra guns to get a better score. I got to level 6 without losing a life, lost my extra guns when I got shot and the game was virtually over. It seems we get an extra life every 20k points.

VR8.png

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Tue May 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Not a bad game, not played this before. It's like a cross between Defender and Juno First.

Did quite well here, then lost three lives in the last 30 seconds :(

Attachments
videosrevenge-34160.png

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am

I was a little confused about the flash bomb and inviso unit, I've never had any energy units available to use either.

Turns out the game is confused by my BeebEm keyboard re-mapping is is firing the inviso unit as soon as I press left, right or up which is normally right away as the first level starts :?

Even my wife commented that there is a lot of distracting noise and screen flashing when I started a new game, all because the inviso unit was busy auto firing every time I moved, which is a lot in this game!

I still haven't worked out a suitable combination of keys that doesn't auto fire the inviso unit every time I move so for now I am playing without energy units until I can figure out how to fix this. Any idea's?

Score: 23210
VideoRevenge.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm

I wish I knew. I remapped the ctl and caps lock to z, x but I have exactly the same problem and have been playing it that way from the beginning. I suspect my score would be much higher if the controls worked as advertised.

Ed..... :-)

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 pm

^play on a real beeb is all I can say.... 8) which I will do later...

instructions from Computer Hits Vol2 - Alligata tape (orig Budgie):
Attachments
Computer Hits 2.jpg
ins
ImageImageImage

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

My best so far, after a few games: 26,450.

videos-revenge.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

CMcDougall wrote:^play on a real beeb is all I can say.... 8) which I will do later...

instructions from Computer Hits Vol2 - Alligata tape (orig Budgie):

Thanks for this Mr. McD......

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:32 pm

I never had this BITD, but played a few times when the tape was needing 'archived' a few yrs ago.
I do like the big gun with three blasters, after blowing up the globe thing and collecting the red dot thingy ma bob :)
50,460 8)
Attachments
18836817_10154904317862730_1917612034451408696_o.jpeg
ImageImageImage

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:59 pm

It's pretty much a one-life game, really. Easy while you have the extra ships, but lose them and it all goes wrong very fast. I got to level 10 here, then lost a life, and it was all downhill from there.

Attachments
videosrevenge-75430.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Level 8 score....

VR9.png

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Another attempt:

Score: 41850
VideoRevenge.jpg

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am

I'm liking this game the more I play it. It's a nice variation on Planetoid / Defender, but it gets brutal if you're not fast enough and time runs out.

My new high score: 57,230

videos-revenge-2.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am

A bit higher than my last score....sorry Chrisn....

VR10.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 am

Ok, I feel a bit better Chrisn,

VR11.png

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm

KarateEd wrote:Ok, I feel a bit better Chrisn

Nice going! But ... sorry Ed :D I had a lucky run ... 74,060.

Has anyone else found that the keyboard stops working when it asks you to type your name for the high score table?

videos-revenge-3.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm

chrisn wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Ok, I feel a bit better Chrisn

Nice going! But ... sorry Ed :D I had a lucky run ... 74,060.

Has anyone else found that the keyboard stops working when it asks you to type your name for the high score table?

videos-revenge-3.jpg

Nice work, I know how hard it is to get that kind of score. I just didn't like beating your previous score by only 100, almost looks cheeky.

As far as the keyboard stopping, no, haven't had that problem. Is that on hardware or emulation?

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I've had the keyboard become non responsive at the high score screen on BeebEm, only way to fix it seems to be to reset and reboot.

I was going to post a slightly better score than my previous attempt but I thought I would have a few more tries before quitting in disgust at my bad luck... some runs everything melts in your path while flying through the earlier levels, other times the ship seems to be a missile magnet no matter how twitchy you move around.

Great scores guys!

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 pm

KarateEd wrote:Nice work, I know how hard it is to get that kind of score. I just didn't like beating your previous score by only 100, almost looks cheeky.

As far as the keyboard stopping, no, haven't had that problem. Is that on hardware or emulation?

I generally play using hardware, so it looks like this could be a bug in the game.

No new high score to post... not sure I can do any better than my previous score, but have another go. I like this game a lot but it is too difficult when you lose a life.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Lose a life in almost any level means just start again. I've tried many times to continue and find you never succeed. It seems as if once you're back to single shooters that the game gets very aggressive in letting you know how vulnerable you are.... well at least that's been my experience.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Currently busy most evenings showing prospective buyers round our house (someone put in a bid, for heaven's sake), but I thought I'd better fire up the Beeb for a quick half hour's well-earned distraction considering this game was another of my nominations.

Turns out the old knack is sort of still there. I'm sometimes finding the time passing me by too quickly from level nine onwards, and only now having just turned off the Beeb has it occurred to me why - even when the radar down the right-hand side starts going on the blink, it is still necessary to attack the levels as speedily as when the radar's working fine, rather than slow right down and become overly cautious.

If I get chance to play again before Monday (not a given), I'll remember that and just go more gung-ho on those levels, in the hope my luck holds out.

It's been interesting to read previous comments that once the triple fire has gone, it's pretty much game over. That's mostly the case but needn't be, and even in the course of one of tonight's three games I was able to get triple fire back in level 13 having lost it when losing a life in level 12. (I then ran straight into one of the green voodoo glow skull things like a twit and forfeited my last life, but the point still stands :-) )

Assuming you survive the level in which you lost triple fire, at the start of the next one go absolutely hell for leather with your single ship and see how much you can mow down in one complete circuit of the playing area before then finding the alien balloon and shooting it in comparatively (but not entirely) clear space. It still requires a bit of luck, of course, not least if the evil git time-up UFOs are starting to materialise by then, but when I played this game exhaustively about twenty years ago I'd reckon about one time in five I was able to retrieve the situation even at a level as high as the aforementioned.

As with Wouter's Planetoid masterclass, I'd suggest that the only other weapon enhancement you ever really need is the smart bombs. Inviso units and their flashes are too offputting, especially from level 8 onwards, when the debris caused by shot aliens gets bigger and is already filling the screen with all sort of distractions. Stockpile your energy units, and use them as smart bombs solely when either a ton of stuff materialises onto the screen with you at the start of the level or (if you're not confident taking them out) it gets to just you and the git UFOs left.

A score, then - 99,680.

gc

259.jpg

262.jpg
Last edited by Jeremy Grayson on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 am

Ok, played this on my hardware and the first time I did, it hung at the 'type in your name' screen.

Was ok after a reboot and another play.

Return to “software: games - high scores”