New look forum post crash

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
1024MAK

Re: New look forum post crash

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Now, when it comes to mobile devices (Apple iphone, or ipad mini) and the signal is weak, or slow, it is handy to have a direct Active Topics button. Saves the fun with selection of this link via the menu and saves the alternative option of using the back "button" and then refreshing.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

helpful

Postby helpful » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:20 am

paulv wrote:I think the best thing to do now is to give this layout a good chance and say, lets review the situation in three months

No, please don't leave it for three months! I'm already finding that I visit less frequently because it's a more tedious experience than it used to be :-(

First thing is to get rid of those irritating animated icons. Aside from being distracting, they consume 75% of the cpu power on my phone just having the active topic list displayed! (That is with Dolphin on Andriod. Firefox on Ubuntu takes 15-20% for the same page, while NetSurf on RISC OS it is 2%. Cue rant about inefficient programming these days. Why does it take 2GHz of processing power to display half a dozen animated icons FFS?)

Then there is the other problem on using the forum from Andriod - it always gives the mobile version of the site regardless of what I request. I hate websites that do that. Particularly when the mobile version isn't very good, as in this case. There seems to be no link direct to the most recent post in a thread AFAICS.

Even more annoying, the mobile version is always served up to NetSurf on RISC OS too! I'm guessing some twonk has decided anything with ARM in the agent string must be a mobile phone. *sigh*

Finally, as others have requested, please can we have the Active Topics link back on the main page.

That looks like the stylesheets haven't loaded for some reason (possibly a corrupt stylesheet in your browser cache).
Clearing your cache and reloading the site should fix it most likely. If not, report what's happening after that.

I used to get that occasionally on the old site too, so that's got no better since the "upgrade" :-(

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:53 am

helpful wrote:<snip> animated icons <snip> they consume 75% of the cpu power on my phone <snip>
So, is this "CPU power" rating a bit like the signal level that is displayed on a mobile telephone, like a lot of battery level indications etc. That is no one really knows what it means exactly, because every one and every thing measures it differently... Therefore it is only useful as a relative indicator on the exact same computing device running the exact same software. Also how much "CPU power" does the software function that works out the figure use? Power is suppose to refer to a quantity that is measurable. In electronics, power is normally current multiplied by voltage (and if not DC, the AC phase of the waveforms has to be included in the calculation). Whereas CPU power is rather less well defined if the real characteristic that is trying to be conveyed is the CPU processing through-put.
helpful wrote:Cue rant about inefficient programming these days. Why does it take 2GHz of processing power to display half a dozen animated icons FFS?
That's more the point. Considering mobile telephones and modern PCs can display full motion video, why does it take so much processing to flip through a small number of small image frames? Something that a 1MHz 8 bit CPU can do without too much difficulty.... (Granted at a lower resolution).

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:42 am

helpful wrote:
paulv wrote:I think the best thing to do now is to give this layout a good chance and say, lets review the situation in three months

No, please don't leave it for three months! I'm already finding that I visit less frequently because it's a more tedious experience than it used to be :-(

Then there is the other problem on using the forum from Andriod - it always gives the mobile version of the site regardless of what I request. I hate websites that do that. Particularly when the mobile version isn't very good, as in this case. There seems to be no link direct to the most recent post in a thread AFAICS.

Even more annoying, the mobile version is always served up to NetSurf on RISC OS too! I'm guessing some twonk has decided anything with ARM in the agent string must be a mobile phone. *sigh*

That looks like the stylesheets haven't loaded for some reason (possibly a corrupt stylesheet in your browser cache).
Clearing your cache and reloading the site should fix it most likely. If not, report what's happening after that.

I used to get that occasionally on the old site too, so that's got no better since the "upgrade" :-(

Bryan.

This isn't an android issue. I'm replying to your post with an android device and I see the full site design. There is only one design, not different ones for different user agents. The design is *responsive* based on your browsers viewport width typically. If I rotate my android device into portrait mode, the width of the browser narrows and the relevant part of the stylesheets are used and the site goes mobile friendly. If I rotate the device landscape I get the desktop friendly version.

As for the stylesheets not loading, the reason it happens isn't down to the design or the server on which the site lives, instead it's typically down to poor connectivity of the users device with a network drop out typically causing the corruption of a file.

Paul

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Wookie wrote:In the meantime I've just ad-blocked the animated Gif icons, problem half solved :roll:

Just out of interest I allowed the animated GIFs again and looked at the cpu usage 9-10% of 1 core of 2.4Ghz, with animated GIFs blocked the same page is only 1.3-1.7% :shock:

I'm using Pale Moon web browser which is a fork of Firefox, talk about software bloat, I remember in my day you had 32K ram and a 2Mhz cpu and you were happy with it.
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

Prime

Postby Prime » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:01 am

Something that would also be useful is a shortcut / link to "topics started by me" rather than just to "Your posts" which lists all the threads you have posted to. Would be useful for locating things like the "intrested in new atom boards" threads etc.

Cheers.

Phill.

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Clicking/tapping the middle of the red icons, animated or not, will take you to the latest topic.
Please add a direct link to active topics from the bottom of each thread page, somewhere near the jump to would be good.

Return to “stardot.org.uk”