Login - Remember Me

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
Bryce

Login - Remember Me

Postby Bryce » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi,
I've just noticed that if I log in and I forget to click the "Remember Me" box, then the Forum lets me view exactly one page and then logs me out again. Surely the forum can remember me a bit longer than that without being told to do so?

Bryce.

paulb

Re: Login - Remember Me

Postby paulb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Bryce wrote:Hi,
I've just noticed that if I log in and I forget to click the "Remember Me" box, then the Forum lets me view exactly one page and then logs me out again. Surely the forum can remember me a bit longer than that without being told to do so?

Maybe it's a cookie storage issue and/or you have something set up to block cookies from sites you don't trust... not to make unreasonable demands on your time to do retro things. :wink:

Bryce

Postby Bryce » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:43 am

No I've checked that. Firefox is set up to delete cookies every time I close it and I don't have any cookie blocking extension installed.

Bryce.

Bryce

Postby Bryce » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:12 am

After some further testing I've discovered that it's not time dependent. I can stay logged in for quite a while as long as I only stay within the thread listings/directories, but as soon as I click on any thread I am logged out when the thread opens. This only happens if "Remember Me" hasn't been ticked.

Bryce.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Just tick it then, job done 8)
ImageImageImage

Bryce

Postby Bryce » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:49 am

That's what I normally do, but I sometimes forget.

Bryce.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Um, if cookies are allowed, I find that as long as I visit around five times a week (or more), I stay logged in and don't have to worry about this. Well for some weeks (have not bothered to count). Then every so often every forum needs me to log in again. I always tick the keep me logged in button. The logging in is painless for most sites, as the browser has been set to remember the username and password.

The only problem is, because I hardly ever have to enter the password manually, I forget it :oops: That's where a battery powered handheld non-Internet computer comes in handy, as that's used for keeping a note of such details.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Bryce

Postby Bryce » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 am

Ok, the problem just got worse! Now, even if I have chosen "Remember Me" the Forum is logging me out after about 2 minutes. I had to write this post in Notepad and copy paste it, because I couldn't type it in the 2 minutes available. It's happening on multiple computers too and that's after I flush all cookies / cache etc :x

Bryce.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:44 am

It's been a long while since I had to log in, so can't even remember what option I took - but presumably I did choose Remember Me if I'm not having any problems.

My session today - I've not touched the *. tab on FF for a few days, just refreshed the tab today, no need to log-in, and I've been poking in and out of threads, etc., no hassles.

Probably not much help other than it seems to be worse for you, so what is different about how you do things? I'm currently on FF 43.0.4, haven't tweaked any settings in FF to do with cookies.

Bryce

Postby Bryce » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 am

I'm on the latest FireFox set to delete all cookies when closed, running on Windows 7. The problem doesn't seem to happen every time. at the moment it has stayed logged in for more than an hour. I log into several other Forums on this machine too, but only Stardot is giving me these problems, the others work as expected.

Bryce.

Return to “stardot.org.uk”