.txt attachment

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
roland

.txt attachment

Postby roland » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Dear moderator(s),

Why aren't txt attachments allowed on this forum?

Sometimes it is nice to add a (long) listing as an attachment. However, it is not possible to attach it as a .txt file. I don't think a .txt file can do any harm to the forum. Of course we can zip it and attach it. But that makes it unreadable on an iPAD (without installation of an additional app to unzip it). Also on normal computer it takes extra effort to read it.

Avoiding long listings and making them available as .txt attachment makes it prettier to (re)read long pages. In most cases it is not relevant to show the listing after a few replies are posted.

Kind regards,
Roland
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

1024MAK

Re: .txt attachment

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 pm

It has to be said, Roland does make some good points there :D

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 pm

roland wrote:Avoiding long listings and making them available as .txt attachment makes it prettier to (re)read long pages. In most cases it is not relevant to show the listing after a few replies are posted.
So don't quote it in the reply. It's that simple. You should never be quoting the entirety of the post you're replying to, that just makes for unreadable bloat upon bloat upon bloat. Edit down the post you're replying to to the pertinent bits relevant to your reply.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

roland

Postby roland » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:50 pm

I agree with that, but even when the listing is not quoted, even the original listing sometimes becomes annoying when you often have to scroll over it. Mostly the listing is illustrative or informative so attaching it as a .txt file will do in those cases.
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Yep, a compelling argument - apologies it's late but I've just ticked the box to enable txt listing attachments ...

Sam.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Mark

Prime

Postby Prime » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 pm

jgharston wrote:So don't quote it in the reply. It's that simple. You should never be quoting the entirety of the post you're replying to, that just makes for unreadable bloat upon bloat upon bloat. Edit down the post you're replying to to the pertinent bits relevant to your reply.

I'm with jgharston on this, you should edit it to what you are replying. Then reply under the bits that the reply relates to. Then when you come to refer back to it, things make sense......unlike some of the top-posted messes we sometimes get at work where people have sent an email back and forth top-posting each time and it becomes impossible to follow.

Cheers.

Phill.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Prime wrote:I'm with jgharston on this, you should edit it to what you are replying. Then reply under the bits that the reply relates to. Then when you come to refer back to it, things make sense......unlike some of the top-posted messes we sometimes get at work where people have sent an email back and forth top-posting each time and it becomes impossible to follow.
At my last long-term job I'd get emails that were a complete mess of mixed top- and bottom- replies that were impossible to decypher. When I replied to them I ended up spending quite some time chopping them up and re-arranging them into relevant quote-blocks before I could even start to think about a response.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Definitely agree on good post etiquette. I think quoting is only really necessary when you're trying to reply to a large number of individual points or where you are replying to a post that is much earlier in the topic. Even then, the quotation should be sparing - just enough to provide context.

Replying with an unnecessary complete quotation of the previous post is bad form ...

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Samwise wrote:Definitely agree on good post etiquette (...) Replying with an unnecessary complete quotation of the previous post is bad form ...
There's a computing chap on a couple of newsgroups I frequent who uses a screen reader, and whenever I reply to anything he's posted on I go into overdrive chopping down the quoted text, a bit like this. He's even got an entry in the FAQ. "Only Brian is allowed to top-post" ;)

$ bbcbasic
>_

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Samwise wrote:Replying with an unnecessary complete quotation of the previous post is bad form ...

fully agree =D> :D =D> :D =D>
ImageImageImage

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:39 pm

They wrote:Blah ...
Yep :wink: :lol:

Mark

PS also editing to remove excessive blank lines :wink: :D

Return to “stardot.org.uk”