jsbeeb update?

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

jsbeeb update?

Postby pau1ie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:00 pm

In the emulators sectionMatt said:
Matt Godbolt wrote:Some recent updates to jsbeeb:

• Discs are read/write by default now. If a game failed because it wanted to write to disc, it should now work. Though any modified data is lost - currently without any warning (sorry!)
  • Some bugs in the 1770 emulation and DSD support have been fixed, which was causing some odd problems related to games crashing (due to corrupt data being loaded).

Thanks Matt!

This is good news, and should reduce the number of games we can't play. Should we wait for the latest version to bed in, or shall I just whack it in and hope for the best? (Probably next week by the time I get round to it anyway).
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Re: jsbeeb update?

Postby lurkio » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 am

pau1ie wrote:This is good news, and should reduce the number of games we can't play. Should we wait for the latest version to bed in, or shall I just whack it in and hope for the best?

The latest version of JSBeeb enables write-access to disc, which is great -- but the disadvantage is that it includes disc-drive noises, which can't be turned off, and which make game-loading feel painfully slow, especially when there are multiple files that have to be loaded in sequence. For example:

As a workaround, until Matt makes the drive-noises optional, is there any way to keep the version of JSBeeb that's currently on bbcmicro.co.uk (which has no write-access but loads games "instantly" and silently), but to add an alternative version of JSBeeb alongside it -- the updated version, for games that need to write to disc?

:?:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 pm

lurkio wrote:is there any way to keep the version of JSBeeb that's currently on bbcmicro.co.uk (which has no write-access but loads games "instantly" and silently), but to add an alternative version of JSBeeb alongside it

Should be doable. I will look into it.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 pm

I have loaded the newer version in the jsb2 directory (So change jsbeeb to jsb2 in a link and it will play in the new version).

Seems to work OK. I've not tried running any previously problematic games yet though.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks. I've updated the entry for Zen, and it works -- but because the disc-drive noises make the latest version of JSBeeb painfully slow to load* games, I'm minded to wait and see if Matt finds time to implement a "noises-off" switch in the near future before I start changing other entries on bbcmicro.co.uk.

:idea:

* In the case of Zen, gameplay is slow too, because the game frequently needs to access the disc -- e.g. to display messages/notifications!