Search

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Search

Postby pau1ie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:39 pm

How about another thread because the forum thread is getting too long...

I have added search by release type. The defaults can be changed in the database pretty easily. I am unsure about a number of things:

It is not where arcadian wanted it. This is because I think not pushing the games down makes the site look better. Also it keeps the search together in the html, which feels nicer to me, but probably isn't a very good reason.

The a-z bar isn't connected to search. Should it be? There is a problem at the moment that because it doesn't set release type variables, the search uses the defaults, which means there is no way to view games which don't fall in the defaults. I think I will add it in.

I added new games to the defaults, because most of them are really good. I can take this out if you want.

I'll make the a to z consistent with the search next, then add in genre search.

Comments?

PaulH
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Pernod

Re: Search

Postby Pernod » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:46 am

Really like the release type filter, nice work!

Why is Tomb of Syrinx marked as unreleased? This is an early Matthew Atkinson game that was only released as a budget title after his more well known titles.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

leenew

Postby leenew » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:05 am

Hi Pernod,
The release types were mostly done on the spot at the last Halifax meet up by Arcadian.
There will probably be one or two errors.
Please (anyone) bring any suspect ones to our attention.
Also, as it stands, the magazine/ type ins has quite a few titles that should not be in there...

Lee

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Pernod wrote:Why is Tomb of Syrinx marked as unreleased?

Fixed - thanks.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:56 pm

OK I have made the a-z links respect the choice of release types.

If you click search, the current a-z selection is reset, as is the current page. I think this is OK, as you can't reset the a-z selection otherwise.

Please can I have any comments. The whole search feels a little cobbled together to me, but maybe that is because I am too close to it.

Otherwise I will make a start on the genre search.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:20 am

Hi, yeah I agree that the Search doesn't work as well as it could in its current state.

I didn't really envisage the Release Type categories being part of the search - they were intended as quick-to access, dynamic filters - that complemented browsing rather than searching. i.e. you select or de-select checkbox(es) and the games list updates instantly.

I know you were concerned about using up space at the top of the screen, but there's already quite a gap between the letters and the numbers - and the row of filters could almost slot straight into that gap.

I think your other concern was that if the filters were set with non-commercial etc games turned off by default - a user could 'miss' a result if entering a search term for a non-commercial game. So I was thinking that a way around this could be to add a single checkbox in the Search area entitled "Search All Release Types" which would default to checked state upon the first search (if the box was checked, all filters would be turned on. If the box was unchecked, then the existing selection would be retained).

Let me know what you think! :)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm

OK, I will rework it to make it able to refresh the list without refreshing the page, and move the refresh types to the top.

I think for search, something along the lines of ebay where you have a search box which searches all metadata and displays all games that match, then if required you can limit by title, publisher, year or genre, then you can pick the individual publishers years or genres you want to match.

I might have some time next week to look into it.

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”