erratum (year of publication)

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
joachim

erratum (year of publication)

Postby joachim » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 am

No way is Breakthrough (Audiogenic) from 1981, as claimed at http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=740. It seems weird to say "its graphics and gameplay are too sophisticated for 1981" — but more importantly, there essentially weren't any BBC games published in 1981. Certainly it would have had a much bigger impact if it had been around in the 1982 boom.

Other Internet sources suggest it's from 1987 or 1988, which seems about right.

lazarusr

Re: erratum (year of publication)

Postby lazarusr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:36 am

If you just leave it running through the demo screens it will get to a (C) 1988 message.

PitfallJones

Postby PitfallJones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:06 am

Games in 1981:

I had thought 4 program power games were from 1981:

chess
gomoku
munchyman
spacemaze
although I can't remember why I thought that now....
( program power sold a number of atom games before the bbc arrived including chess if that's any clue)

The welcome disk has this inside of it "Version1 oct 1981" so that gives to date to when the bbc first shipped

and there's also Humphrey:

humphrey.jpg

PJ

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 am

I also doubt the dates on the digital fantasia adventures.
I think they used the dates from the original TRS80 releases.

Lee.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:17 am

Is the year of publication actually defined? So date when first advertised? Date released for review? Date released in the shops / mail order? Copyright date? Etc...

As a copyright year can be earlier than the date of publication. Something may have been written, but held back, or delayed before publication.

And as noticed here, some software would have been converted from other systems, so may well retain dates from those versions.

I'm not sure if this happened in the BBC Micro or Electron software scene, but elsewhere, some software may have a forward copyright date.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 am

1024MAK wrote:Is the year of publication actually defined?
It's the year Dave/Lee say, that's what! :wink:

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 am

8-[
It's the same problem I have with my music collection.
Year the song was written (c), released (UK or US), (album release date and single release dates are different) made the charts, got to number 1.
Pretty difficult!
Back to the beebs... ideally it needs to be the release date, however most of this information is gleaned from the date on the intro screen. This is more likely a "completion" date.

Lee.

PitfallJones

Postby PitfallJones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 am

Back in the 80s I literally drove to the duplicators with floppy in hand and pickup a box of disks the next day!
I would imagine with tapes it would be even more immeadiate - some I picked up at micro shows look like they were hand made - probably that morning.
To date a game I search for text inside the disk files and refer to magazine adverts (Your Computer started in 1981 for instance - Thanks Dave E!).

Here's a fancinating article about a Billboard song nobody could find a physical copy of:

http://www.avclub.com/article/mystery-ready-n-steady-phantom-billboard-hit-final-239905

PJ

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”