More updates

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

More updates

Postby pau1ie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:52 pm

Lee sent me a load of updates a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I really ought to get them uploaded.

They are;
  • Catcher
  • Division One '85
  • Minefield
  • Battle Of Britain
  • Beebtrek
  • Castle Blacknight
  • Espionage
  • Fruits!
  • Mexico '86
  • System 15000
  • Tennis (Classic Arcade Games)
  • 5 In A Row
  • Business Games
  • Crack-It Towers
  • Invaders
  • Kingdom Of Hamil
  • Mallory Manor
  • Neptune's Caverns
  • Pelmanism

In addition there are a load of updates to meatdata of other games, and a number of screenshots were corrected.

I still need to get the secondary genres in line with Lee's spreadsheet.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

flaxcottage

Re: More updates

Postby flaxcottage » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:15 am

I noticed that Mallory Manor by Anita Straker has been included. Great! :D

The entry is in error, though. Mallory Manor was released FOC under the MEP banner in 1983. It was included in the Primary Language pack and a number of Local Education Authority's compilations. The Derbyshire Educational Software Centre (DESC) being one of the prominent ones.

If it were released separately under the ESM banner, this would be a much later release, probably around 1988. ESM also released a number of other Anita Straker adventures in 1988 in the compilation Best 4 Adventures. These included Martello Tower, Merlin's Castle, The Lost Frog and Puff.

There are also a number of excellent educational "games" available from other publishers, such as Sherston Software, that could be included too.

Edit
Just checked on Puff and Merlin's Castle. It looks like you already have the Best 4 Adventures uploaded. :D
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

leenew

Postby leenew » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi John,
We have Lost Frog, Mallory Manor, Matrello Tower, Merlin's Castle, Puff, And Zoo by ESM.
Do they all need changing to MEP?
Also, what commercial status did they have?
As a free release, did they still class as "Commercial releases"?

Thanks,

Lee.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Lee,

The ESM package Best 4 Adventures was definitely a commercial release. They also released it for the Archimedes computers. The programs were the same as for the BBC micros but wrapped in a RISCOS application along with the BBC emulator.

Zoo is one I have not encountered before as an ESM package. It is a demonstration data file to go with the Anita Straker adventure writing program, part of which is on the ESM disc. I have this program somewhere on a compilation disc. It will take a while to find as it is "pending cataloguing". Ha Ha!

The MEP program tapes were never a commercial release. They were given free to schools that participated in the "Micros for Schools" project BITD. Maybe the authors were paid a fee for "donating" their software but this was a very grey area back then and records are sketchy.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

leenew

Postby leenew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 am

That clarifies it then :lol:

Lee.

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”