Clickable details and category errors

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
lurkio

Clickable details and category errors

Postby lurkio » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi, Paul. Thanks for beavering away and steadily improving the website!

=D> =D> =D>

Lee and I were just mulling over a few suggestions:

1. Can the items on the Details page for each game be made clickable? So, e.g., you could go to the Details page for 3D Munchy and then click on "MRM Software" against "Publisher" to find all games published by MRM? And the same would apply for the other headings (Author, Genre, etc.).

2. We were thinking that the Release Type "Magazine/book type-in" should be deleted because (a) it doesn't actually contain any games, and (b) the other two categories "Magazine type-in" and "Book type-in" cover all possibilities.

3. Perhaps change the name of the category "Magazine type-in" to just "Magazine" (because some games were on cover tapes but weren't type-ins), and change "Book type-in" to just "Book"?

:?:

leenew

Re: Clickable details and category errors

Postby leenew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey,
Yes, I agree about getting rid of magazine/book type in. It is totally unused.
At this stage, maybe just delete it from the front page, but leave the code for the "O" category intact for future.
Changing "Magazine type-in" into just "Magazine" and "Book type-in" into "Book" makes it more correct, until I can differentiate between type-ins and cover discs/tapes. (And is zero work :D )...

What do I class Model B computing tapes as? Magazine or Commercial?
The tape was all you got, so I guess that Commercial suits them better, as you had to buy them!
It would be nice to get everything clickable.
The problem is we only have Paul doing any coding, and I have zero understanding of how easy it would be to enlist another coder at this stage to write routines do this kind of thing.
Any thoughts?
Any volunteers to take some weight from Paul? :D

Also, I would love to get some feedback from people who regularly use the site, and get ideas for improvements.

A search that people may not be familiar with:
You can search by genre, e.g. If I want to see all text adventures, just seach "text adventure".
If you want to see all games that resemble the arcade game "scramble" just search "scramble".

Lee.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 pm

leenew wrote:What do I class Model B computing tapes as? Magazine or Commercial?

I'd say magazine since you found it on the shelves at the newsagents with the magazines, and it was only available for that month.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 pm

I have to admit I am finding it difficult to maintain enthusiasm for making changes which don't seem to deliver much benefit to the user. I am trying to focus on things that enables Lee and Lurkio to improve the site. Lee has been able to add a number of games with minimal help from me. I would like to make that no help from me. Also, I think the site is pretty good. My boss was telling me about a game his friend developed. I said I would find it if he could remember anything about it. He could remember his friends name and that was enough to find it. I am really proud of the way search works. Credit where it is due, it is mostly down to Lees perfecting the data, which has been a massive effort over a number of years.

Also I would like to spend more time on the educational archive. There are games on that which aren't online.

I can also think of ways to improve the site. I would like to make it easily downloadable. I would like to make it generate a datacentre menu and bunch of disc images. Maybe the same for the MMC storage solutions. But there is a limit to what I can achieve.

1) Yes, but as mentioned above I don't think the benefit is worth the effort.
2) OK, removed. It used to contain all the games in both book and magazine categories. I would note that "Alternative Versions" and "Cheat versions"also don't contain any games visible from the main screen. "Extra levels" contains only 5 games. Lees idea involves more coding. How do I decide when to display it? Do I check whether it would display any games? This would take care of the two I mentioned above. I do think we need to be careful about the number of categories though. As Tricky pointed out it is already difficult enough if you want to search for one category. Another change I will never get round to.
3) OK, done.

As Lee says, if anyone wants to help with the code, I am very keen to support that.

Cheers
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm

lurkio wrote:1. Can the items on the Details page for each game be made clickable? So, e.g., you could go to the Details page for 3D Munchy and then click on "MRM Software" against "Publisher" to find all games published by MRM? And the same would apply for the other headings (Author, Genre, etc.).
pau1ie wrote:1) Yes, but as mentioned above I don't think the benefit is worth the effort.

I'm not sure what sort of (PHP-based?) front-end templating system you're using, if any, but wouldn't it just be a case of surrounding each value (e.g. "MRM Software") with <a href> tags that link to the value embedded in a search URL string -- e.g. the following?:

Code: Select all

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?search=mrm+software

Caveat: I've got no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to pressure you into doing any of this; I'm just ignorant and arrogant enough to wonder if you might have overlooked a simple (or quick and dirty) solution!?

Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks for all your hard work so far.

=D> =D> =D>

joachim

Postby joachim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 pm

leenew wrote:What do I class Model B computing tapes as? Magazine or Commercial?
The tape was all you got, so I guess that Commercial suits them better, as you had to buy them!

A similar, or perhaps a contrasting case: the Duckworth adventures (Castlemaze, Tunnel, Underground) were published as type-ins in the book Exploring Adventures on the BBC, but you could mail-order the cassette from Duckworth if you didn't want to type them in. I was surprised to see them categorised as Commercial rather than Book.

Oh, and some Beebug games — Munchman and Hedgehog, at least — were also published in the book Games and Other Programs for the Acorn Electron in the Penguin Acorn Computer Library series. In that case it seems reasonable to go with whichever was published first (but I don't know which that is, they're all dated 1983).

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks joachim,
I will look at the Duckworth adventures this evening.
Sometimes it's hard to know what to go for... and sometimes I make mistakes :D
I may start another thread for reporting possible incorrect info on the site :-k

Lee.

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I have altered the 3 Duckworth adventures to BOOK release.
Were the other Duckworth games all commercial releases?
Lee.

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 pm

lurkio wrote:I'm not sure what sort of (PHP-based?) front-end templating system you're using, if any, but wouldn't it just be a case of surrounding each value (e.g. "MRM Software") with <a href> tags that link to the value embedded in a search URL string -- e.g. the following?:

It is written in pure PHP. That would almost do as you suggest. The code is in github, Feel free to make the changes you suggest.

I have really limited time to spend and I am making the changes where I feel they would be most useful. I am really happy to support others in helping out.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

joachim

Postby joachim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 pm

leenew wrote:Were the other Duckworth games all commercial releases?

Looks like at least Castle Dracula and Egyptian Adventure were commercial releases. The clearest evidence I've found is this Duckworth catalogue: http://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/duckworth-catalog.pdf in which those two are full catalogue entries, whereas the cassette of three C/T/U adventures is only mentioned briefly at the end of the entry for the associated book.

(Also, a scan of the full inlay for that three-adventure cassette: http://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/exploringadv.pdf.)

leenew

Postby leenew » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks joachim.
I will look at the Beebug entries soon.

Lee.

joachim

Postby joachim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:35 am

Your post about Micro User reminded me: most of the software published by Alternative was previously published as listings in Electron User. For example Manic Mole, which you have listed as Alternative 1987, was published in the July 1985 Electron User, then it was available in the compilation Ten of the Best Vol. 3 by Database Publications (these were compilations repackaging EU listings), then it was republished by Alternative in Triple Decker 1. Other EU listings had similar trajectories.

everygamegoing.com has good data on this sort of thing, though I think his publication date for Ten of the Best Vol. 3 must be wrong.

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

Yep. That's exactly why I want to go through the old magazines, to see which were previously published.
I can add multiple entries for the publisher for each game, so I could have Electron User, Alternative for Manic Mole.
Cheers,

Lee.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

I know you prefer physical magazines, but you can do a lot of checks quite easily using Google + Internet Archive:

:idea:

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Yep, but most of my best work will be done sat up in bed with a highlighter pen :D

Lee.

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”