secondary genre / games that are clones or knockoffs

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
joachim

secondary genre / games that are clones or knockoffs

Postby joachim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 am

I had been thinking it would be convenient to have a database of which games (typically magazine or PD games) are direct imitations of specific commercial releases (not just specific genres). For example Ripton is an imitation of Repton. Then I realised this information is pretty much what's in the "Secondary genre" column: Ripton has "Repton" as its secondary genre, and Wild Fruities has "Monsters" as its secondary genre. That's exactly what I wanted.

I think it would be nice to fill out this data in some more cases. For example Professor McBrolly is closely inspired by Boffin, and Ghouls of Azzod is clearly taken from Ghouls — but at the moment their genre is only listed as "Platform game". Also I think Orbital should be separated from the Crystal Castles subgenre to its own subgenre, not least because then it would be easier to mark Crystal Sea and Octavia as being inspired by it.

pau1ie

Re: secondary genre / games that are clones or knockoffs

Postby pau1ie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:37 pm

You can have as many secondary genres as you like, so this is easily done, so a genre of Orbital can be created and added to the games you suggest etc.
From what you say you may have a large number of cases where this could be done. If Lee agrees with the approach, you could be given access to do this in the back end.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

joachim

Postby joachim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Timebomb (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1079) and Danger UXB (and its two alt versions) and Minefield (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1073) should be merged into the secondary genre "Bomber Man". (Two of them are currently incorrectly classified as "Mine Sweeper".)

I don't have an opinion on whether "Bomber Man" is the best name for that subgenre, but that's the name that already has four games under it.

leenew

Postby leenew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi all,
Yes, this happened sort of accidentally.
When I was creating my spreasheet, before bbcmicro.co.uk existed, I maded a note of any game that reminded me of an arcade game, and listed the original arcade title in the genre field.
These were done off the top of my head and clearly there will be some errors.
I am fine with joachim tweaking some of these as he sees fit - he seems to have enthusiasm for the site, and a keen eye :D
In fact, I would LOVE a dedicated team of people who could squeeze out all of the information on these games. It would take the workload off me a bit :lol:
Right... back to trawling magazines 8)

Lee.

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 am

Am I right in thinking Ripton was submitted to A&B but not published? Presumably because of copyright fears...
Lee.

joachim

Postby joachim » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Yes, Kenton talks about that in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2133. He also mentions that he wrote Ghosts, a clone of Ghouls that was published in A&B, different from the Micro User knockoff that I mentioned upthread.

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”