Beebem on Github

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
chrisn

Re: Beebem on Github

Postby chrisn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Sorry it's taken a while to finish this... I just transferred ownership of my beebem-windows repository to stardot: https://github.com/stardot/beebem-windows. Could one of the admins make me an owner/admin of this repository again, please?

I've had no reply from Mike yet, is anyone here in contact with him? Aside from that, I think it's ready to go for future development.

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:11 am

chrisn wrote:Sorry it's taken a while to finish this... I just transferred ownership of my beebem-windows repository to stardot: https://github.com/stardot/beebem-windows. Could one of the admins make me an owner/admin of this repository again, please?

You're now the admin in the Collaborators section of that repository. Let me know if that's not quite what you wanted/expected.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:02 am

davidb wrote:You're now the admin in the Collaborators section of that repository. Let me know if that's not quite what you wanted/expected.

That's perfect, thank you! I think that I may have lost write access in transferring ownership. I'll happily add others who want write access.

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for doing this, this is now a really useful resource.

I note from the change log that the speech and x86 components that were removed in version 4.10 due to licensing concerns originated from MAME. The license for MAME at that time was:
https://github.com/stardot/beebem-windo ... HT.txt#L35

I can understand why this was deemed incompatible with GPL.

As of version 0.172 (released 30th Match 2016) MAME overall is now GPL:
http://mamedev.org/?p=422

The majority of individual files are available under a 3-clause BSD license, which is compatible with GPL:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-li ... odifiedBSD

Do people feel this now allows the removed code to be put back?

Dave

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:09 am

chrisn wrote:
davidb wrote:You're now the admin in the Collaborators section of that repository. Let me know if that's not quite what you wanted/expected.

That's perfect, thank you! I think that I may have lost write access in transferring ownership. I'll happily add others who want write access.

I think it's better to have as little write access as possible and use fork/pull requests for contributions like in the b-em repository.

hoglet wrote:Do people feel this now allows the removed code to be put back?

Dave

Ah, so it was the MAME bit that caused the problems?
Would the "offensive" code, which was apparently taken from a non GPL version, now be considered GPL as well?

Meanwhile, I''ll fork from this repository now, apply the Sprow patch and submit a pull request.
I do see that the vs project files are not in there. That will make it rather difficult to set up from scratch. Shouldn't they be included?

Perhaps it's a good idea to setup the repository like the b-em one with all the runtime stuff in place and the source tree in src?

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:14 am

pstnotpd wrote:I think it's better to have as little write access as possible and use fork/pull requests for contributions like in the b-em repository.

Sure. I'm happy to review and merge pull requests, but I only really have time at weekends and some evenings, so having another person who can merge pull requests might be helpful.

pstnotpd wrote:Meanwhile, I''ll fork from this repository now, apply the Sprow patch and submit a pull request.
I do see that the vs project files are not in there. That will make it rather difficult to set up from scratch. Shouldn't they be included?

Perhaps it's a good idea to setup the repository like the b-em one with all the runtime stuff in place and the source tree in src?

The repository should already include everything needed to build from scratch. That was one of my main goals for setting up this repository, as well as preserving the historical releases (reasonably) accurately. The project files are BeebEm.sln and BeebEm.vcproj in the Src directory, but these are for Visual Studio 2008, as per the 4.14 release.

We should migrate to Visual Studio Community - the 2017 version has just been released, so I'll see if I can get it working in that.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 pm

pstnotpd wrote:Ah, so it was the MAME bit that caused the problems?
Would the "offensive" code, which was apparently taken from a non GPL version, now be considered GPL as well?

No, you have to take it from a version that has been relicensed and contains the license headers, preferably the latest. Further clarification should be sought at the official forums http://forum.mamedev.org/ .

chrisn wrote:We should migrate to Visual Studio Community - the 2017 version has just been released, so I'll see if I can get it working in that.

I know that MAME doesn't compile with VS2017, causes internal compiler errors which we suspect is a bug in the compiler.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Pernod wrote:I know that MAME doesn't compile with VS2017, causes internal compiler errors which we suspect is a bug in the compiler.

OK, I'll stick with VS2015. The code generates a few warnings - related to an "Invalid memory map format" error on starting BeebEm, and another in the z80 emulator - so some changes are needed to get things working properly.

@pstnotpd Did you fix these in your build? If not, I'll work on this and submit a PR, and then we can merge your Sprow co-pro changes as a separate PR.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:36 pm

chrisn wrote:
Pernod wrote:I know that MAME doesn't compile with VS2017, causes internal compiler errors which we suspect is a bug in the compiler.

OK, I'll stick with VS2015. The code generates a few warnings - related to an "Invalid memory map format" error on starting BeebEm, and another in the z80 emulator - so some changes are needed to get things working properly.

@pstnotpd Did you fix these in your build? If not, I'll work on this and submit a PR, and then we can merge your Sprow co-pro changes as a separate PR.

I did fix the "invalid memory map format" error in mine. It's a weird error with reading the debugger memory map file which returns a 2 on sscanf where you'd expect 3. As I think that's a bit weird I'm hesitating to put this back in the pull request though.
If you search for "invalid memory map" in debug.ccp you'll see the check.

Code: Select all

memset(entry->desc, 0, _countof(entry->desc));
if(sscanf(buf, " %x %x %99c", &entry->start, &entry->end, &entry->desc) != 3)
{
   sprintf(errstr, "Invalid memory map format!");
   MessageBox(GETHWND,errstr,WindowTitle,MB_OK|MB_ICONERROR);
   free(map->entries);
   map->entries = NULL;
   map->count = 0;
   fclose(infile);
   return false;
}

I haven't noticed the z80 bug in mine. How can I reproduce?

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 am

pstnotpd wrote:
chrisn wrote:The code generates a few warnings - related to an "Invalid memory map format" error on starting BeebEm, and another in the z80 emulator - so some changes are needed to get things working properly.

I did fix the "invalid memory map format" error in mine. It's a weird error with reading the debugger memory map file which returns a 2 on sscanf where you'd expect 3. As I think that's a bit weird I'm hesitating to put this back in the pull request though.
If you search for "invalid memory map" in debug.ccp you'll see the check.

memset(entry->desc, 0, _countof(entry->desc));
if(sscanf(buf, " %x %x %99c", &entry->start, &entry->end, &entry->desc) != 3)
{
   sprintf(errstr, "Invalid memory map format!");
   MessageBox(GETHWND,errstr,WindowTitle,MB_OK|MB_ICONERROR);
   free(map->entries);
   map->entries = NULL;
   map->count = 0;
   fclose(infile);
   return false;
}

I haven't noticed the z80 bug in mine. How can I reproduce?

I investigated sscanf, and found that it returns 3 if the length of the string that's read matches the format specifier - so if the description is 99 characters, sscanf returns 3, and any less it returns 2. On Linux with gcc and glibc sscanf always returns 3. I'll change the code to work around this.

The Z80 issue might not be a bug - there's a compiler warning (and with SDL checks enabled it becomes an error).

\src\z80.cpp(2006): error C4146: unary minus operator applied to unsigned type, result still unsigned

The code is:

case 0x44:         /* NEG */
         temp = hreg(AF);
         AF = (-(AF & 0xff00) & 0xff00);
         AF |= ((AF >> 8) & 0xa8) | (((AF & 0xff00) == 0) << 6) |
            (((temp & 0x0f) != 0) << 4) | ((temp == 0x80) << 2) |
            2 | (temp != 0);
         break;

I could just turn the SDL checks off, but I'd prefer not to...

There are some more warnings about sprint and sscanf format strings, and I have fixed most of these. I'll prepare a pull request with the VS2015 update and these changes.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm

chrisn wrote:I've had no reply from Mike yet, is anyone here in contact with him? Aside from that, I think it's ready to go for future development.

Just thought I'd mention that I recently emailed Mike re the 8271 emulation bug in BeebEm, and got a reply:

lurkio, in an email to Mike Wyatt, wrote:Are you still developing BeebEm? If not, do you know anyone who is? (I know there are some GitHub repos now, with links on Stardot, but I'm not sure if anyone's actually working on the code.)

I ask because there seems to be a fairly big bug in BeebEm's 8271 emulation. Details here:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12646

Mike Wyatt, in reply, wrote:I do occasionally find some time to work on BeebEm but that 8271 emulation issue is not something I've looked at. I do recall seeing some strange behaviour though, as described in the forum, but have never really dug into it.

Looks like there is an effort to pull together a git repo for BeebEm, with some people keen to work on it:

http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12583

Perhaps the issue can be logged against this repo and someone will pick it up?

If I ever find the time I may even take a look myself...

Thanks,
Mike

:idea:

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 pm

I received a very nice reply from Mike the other day. He's said he's happy for us to develop BeebEm on GitHub, and has offered to host binaries of new releases on his website. He also mentioned some interesting new features he may want to contribute.

I have merged a few changes from a GitHub contributor, which fixes a few issues with screen capture and the debugger, and simplifies the file selection dialogs code.

My plan is to migrate the code to VS2015 so that we can then merge pstnotpd's Sprow co-pro changes. Anyone is free to submit issues or pull requests, and I'll be happy to merge changes.

ctr

Postby ctr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

chrisn wrote:I have merged a few changes from a GitHub contributor

I'm sometimes here too. I've got a daft username there (mungre) because my name was long since taken. Though I've just realised that was me six years ago :-)

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

chrisn wrote:My plan is to migrate the code to VS2015 so that we can then merge pstnotpd's Sprow co-pro changes. Anyone is free to submit issues or pull requests, and I'll be happy to merge changes.

I definitely will not claim the Sprow co-pro changes. That's all Kieran Mockford's work. I only merged with the 4.14 source and made it build on VS2015.

Credit where credit is due.

P.S. as the actual board seems to have been out of stock for a while, maybe we can ask Sprow if we can distribute the rom image?
P.S.P.S. while we are at it, maybe @jgharston might consider an updated version of his module handler patches then....... =D> =D> =D>

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 am

Sorry for not doing this through Git, but I still haven't got around to learning it.
I've been meaning to fix the sound in beebem, where some games pop and squeak and just had a look.
I turns out that it wasn't latching the register properly and wasn't updating the frequence when it should.
Here is my quick replacement for Sound_RegWrite in ...\Src\beebsound.cpp

/****************************************************************************/
/* Called in sysvia.cc when a write is made to the 76489 sound chip         */
void Sound_RegWrite(int value)
{
   unsigned reg, tone, channel; // may not be tone, why not index volume and tone with the same index?

if (!SoundEnabled) return;

if (value & 0x80)
   {
      reg = (value >> 4) & 7;
      BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet = (2 - (reg >> 1)) & 3; // use 3 for noise (0,1->2, 2,3->1, 4,5->0, 6,7->3)
      tone = (BeebState76489.ToneFreq[BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet] & ~15) | (value & 15);
   }
   else
   {
      reg = ((2 - BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet) & 3) << 1; // (0->4, 1->2, 2->0, 3->6)
      tone = (BeebState76489.ToneFreq[BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet] & 15) | ((value & 0x3F) << 4);
   }
   channel = (1 + BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet) & 3; // (0->1, 1->2, 2->3, 3->0)

switch (reg)
   {
      case 0: /* Tone 3 freq */
      case 2: /* Tone 2 freq */
      case 4: /* Tone 1 freq */
      {
         BeebState76489.ToneFreq[BeebState76489.LastToneFreqSet] = tone;
         SetFreq(channel, tone);
      }
      break;
      case 6: /* Noise control */
      {
         BeebState76489.Noise.Freq = value & 3;
         BeebState76489.Noise.FB = (value >> 2) & 1;
      }
      break;
      case 1: /* Tone 3 vol */
      case 3: /* Tone 2 vol */
      case 5: /* Tone 1 vol */
      case 7: /* Tone 0 vol */
      {
         RealVolumes[channel] = value & 15;
         if ((BeebState76489.ToneVolume[channel] == 0) && ((value & 15) != 15)) ActiveChannel[channel] = TRUE;
         if ((BeebState76489.ToneVolume[channel] != 0) && ((value & 15) == 15)) ActiveChannel[channel] = FALSE;
         BeebState76489.ToneVolume[channel] = GetVol(15 - (value & 15));
      }
      break;
   };
   SoundTrigger_Real();
}; /* Sound_RegWrite */
I've only tried it on a few games that were badly affected, most notably for me, my Carnival game:
http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=877&hilit=carnival&start=120#p7671
I think I used b-em for the video, but just shoot things like mad and it doesn't take long to hear the problem.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:50 am

Is there any progress on this? I.e. is anyone expecting some action from me regarding the sprow additions?

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 pm

pstnotpd wrote:Is there any progress on this? I.e. is anyone expecting some action from me regarding the sprow additions?

My time has been a bit limited this week, sorry... Once I've pushed the changes to migrate the code from VS2008 to VS2015, would you be able to send a pull request with the sprow additions? After that I'll add and test tricky's sound changes. I should be able to do it late tonight or tomorrow.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm

tricky wrote:Sorry for not doing this through Git, but I still haven't got around to learning it.

I recommend SourceTree https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ for all your git needs.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 pm

chrisn wrote:My time has been a bit limited this week, sorry... Once I've pushed the changes to migrate the code from VS2008 to VS2015, would you be able to send a pull request with the sprow additions? After that I'll add and test tricky's sound changes. I should be able to do it late tonight or tomorrow.

Will do.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

pstnotpd wrote:
chrisn wrote:My time has been a bit limited this week, sorry... Once I've pushed the changes to migrate the code from VS2008 to VS2015, would you be able to send a pull request with the sprow additions? After that I'll add and test tricky's sound changes. I should be able to do it late tonight or tomorrow.

Will do.

Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at the pull request to update the code for VS2015? If this works OK, I'll merge, then it's ready for your changes.

https://github.com/stardot/beebem-windows/pull/5

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am

chrisn wrote:Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at the pull request to update the code for VS2015? If this works OK, I'll merge, then it's ready for your changes.

I'll probably not have time to check today, perhaps tomorrow. But if it builds correctly on your side I'll adjust my stuff accordingly in the fork.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm

pstnotpd wrote:
chrisn wrote:Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at the pull request to update the code for VS2015? If this works OK, I'll merge, then it's ready for your changes.

I'll probably not have time to check today, perhaps tomorrow. But if it builds correctly on your side I'll adjust my stuff accordingly in the fork.

It builds fine, the only thing I changed is where the BeebEm.exe file is generated, in the Debug or Release directory instead of the top-level directory, to avoid debug and release build files overwriting each other. This means to run BeebEm under the debugger you'll need to copy some files into the Debug directory: zlib1.dll, Teletext.fnt, and all the .snd files.

ctr

Postby ctr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 pm

It builds for me. I haven't tested it exhaustively but Firetrack ran. And I just realised I didn't have to configure the DirectX directory, which is nice.

chrisn wrote:This means to run BeebEm under the debugger you'll need to copy some files into the Debug directory: zlib1.dll, Teletext.fnt, and all the .snd files.

I manually altered my project file to copy these files. Copy the code between the asterix comments into the BeebEm.vcxproj file just after the BeebEm.rc group. This is very near the end of the file. Or I can submit a pull request once you've merged your changes.

<ItemGroup>
    <ResourceCompile Include="BeebEm.rc" />
  </ItemGroup>
  <!-- Start ******************************************************** -->
  <ItemGroup>
    <Content Include="..\DriveMotor.snd">
      <CopyToOutputDirectory>PreserveNewest</CopyToOutputDirectory>
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\HeadLoad.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\HeadSeek.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\HeadStep.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\HeadUnload.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\RelayOff.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\RelayOn.snd">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\Teletext.fnt">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\zlib1.dll">
    </Content>
  </ItemGroup>
  <!-- End ******************************************************** -->
  <Import Project="$(VCTargetsPath)\Microsoft.Cpp.targets" />

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:47 pm

ctr wrote:It builds for me. I haven't tested it exhaustively but Firetrack ran. And I just realised I didn't have to configure the DirectX directory, which is nice.

chrisn wrote:This means to run BeebEm under the debugger you'll need to copy some files into the Debug directory: zlib1.dll, Teletext.fnt, and all the .snd files.

I manually altered my project file to copy these files. Copy the code between the asterix comments into the BeebEm.vcxproj file just after the BeebEm.rc group. This is very near the end of the file. Or I can submit a pull request once you've merged your changes.

Perfect! Your change works nicely, thank you! I added this to the open pull request. I think this is ready, so I'll merge it now.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Great. I'll fork and add the Sprow changes a.s.a.p.

Is this going to be release 4.15 then?

ctr

Postby ctr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 pm

chrisn wrote:I added this to the open pull request.

Thank you! Video capture doesn't work on Windows 10, and possibly Windows 8. I've done a fix that I'll submit as soon as pstnotpd's changes are merged in. If you're about to do a release, please hold fire for a moment.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 pm

pstnotpd wrote:Great. I'll fork and add the Sprow changes a.s.a.p.

Is this going to be release 4.15 then?

Thanks! Yes, unless anyone has other changes they want to add, the plan for 4.15 is:

* Fixed 320x256 screen capture (ctr)
* DirectX current screen resolution (ctr)
* Consistent file selection dialogs (ctr)
* Debugger Alt-Tab support (ctr)
* Sprow copro (Kieran Mockford and pstnotpd)
* Sound register latch bug fix (tricky)
* Migrated to VS2015 (chrisn)
* Fixed crash if sound sample files are missing (chrisn)

I'll also take a look at jghartson's changes here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 4&p=157366

When it's ready I'll contact Mike about hosting the download on his BeebEm webpage.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Right, I think I've merged all changes and created a pull request for the Sprow changes for a cleanly building fork.

I've mailed Robert Sprowson to see if he'd agree on adding the rom image for the ARM7TDMI as it is his IP obviously.

@chrisn: I think you'll have to re-check the VS project file as I had to add some stuff. (preprocessor directives). I could only get it working by using my own and adding (hopefully all) of your settings.

Also I now noticed that the speed settings are a bit awry. When choosing "Real time" the FPS goes to around 25 when enabling the Sprow copro, but when choosing fixed FPS 50 the copro seems to run at 2x speed. Does anyone have a clue where to look for this.

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

pstnotpd wrote:Right, I think I've merged all changes and created a pull request for the Sprow changes for a cleanly building fork.

I've mailed Robert Sprowson to see if he'd agree on adding the rom image for the ARM7TDMI as it is his IP obviously.

@chrisn: I think you'll have to re-check the VS project file as I had to add some stuff. (preprocessor directives). I could only get it working by using my own and adding (hopefully all) of your settings.

Also I now noticed that the speed settings are a bit awry. When choosing "Real time" the FPS goes to around 25 when enabling the Sprow copro, but when choosing fixed FPS 50 the copro seems to run at 2x speed. Does anyone have a clue where to look for this.

Thanks, but really I need the pull request to be on a topic branch rather than master. I'd like to keep the commit history as linear as possible - much the same as the approach taken with B-Em (see the guidance here: https://github.com/stardot/b-em/blob/ma ... PATCHES.md).

In updating to VS2015 I created new project files rather than upgrading the existing ones, to reduce the amount of cruft introduced. Both the Debug and Release configurations work for me (x86 only, I haven't tested x64). But if there's an issue with these, I'd prefer to fix it in a separate pull request.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:32 pm

chrisn wrote:unless anyone has other changes they want to add, the plan for 4.15 is ...
When it's ready I'll contact Mike about hosting the download on his BeebEm webpage.

Sadly I don't have the skills to contribute to BeebEm development, so obviously you can tell me to go boil my head, but I wonder whether it might also be worth someone looking into the 8271 emulation bug, a long-standing and apparently quite significant bug, which Dave/hoglet has already found a fix for in B-em, as the same bug seems to be present in BeebEm too..?

:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “projects”