Viewdata Service

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
John_Newcombe

Re: Viewdata Service

Postby John_Newcombe » Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 am

I have updated TELSTAR now. It includes TELESOFTWARE :D .

glasstty:6502

The protocol implemented on TELSTAR works with Commstar for programs up to 25 frames. I have yet to implement 'Zero' routing which isn't much to do and this will allow many more frames.

The test 'Hello World' program hosted at the moment is a tokenised BASIC program and although it is small, it tests the system reasonably well. I will undertake further tests for binary files when I get chance.

The routing engine has been updated to be similar in the way Prestel worked, however there are a couple of very minor bugs which I will sort out. Also I haven't yet implemented the 'Master Page' navigation stuff where IP's had the three digit master pages. At the moment you end up back at the main index.

Currently there is only one service running (it will handle multiple connections), it is named MONTY. It is running out of a data centre in London.

Thanks go to the guys over at the Software thread http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15047&p=202811#p202811 for helping me with protocol issues. For now, I will continue posting updates here until told otherwise.

John_Newcombe

New Content from Reuters and Better Navigation

Postby John_Newcombe » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi All jus a quick update. The service has been updated and now includes a few new facilities including a Teletext page import facility, better routing with a Prestel like routing map and Reuters content.

Content is still quite weak in places, and the style is a tad boring, especially the intermediate frames, however, I am sure it will evolve as time progresses.

Next task is to develop a cross platform page editor in Python.

ImageImage