Going great guns on a Prince of Persia port...

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
daveejhitchins

Re: Going great guns on a Prince of Persia port...

Postby daveejhitchins » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 am

Matt Godbolt wrote:I am SO excited for this. Can we support this in some way? A Patreon, or some such thing? The amount of effort you all are putting in is amazing!

Seconded, this Game is going to set-some-standards! . . . With Kieran working on this and Sarah working on her "tube type thingy" and White Light under her belt already . . . Wow =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

oss003

Postby oss003 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 am

Congratulations guys, the gameshots are looking fantastic.
I know it's a big and long proces to check all game assembler and game data but checking 128KB is a huge, huge job........ respect ...... =D> =D>
Keep up the good work by posting some screen shots now and then, makes waiting easier ....

Greetings
Kees

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:21 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Matt Godbolt wrote:I am SO excited for this. Can we support this in some way? A Patreon, or some such thing? The amount of effort you all are putting in is amazing!

Seconded, this Game is going to set-some-standards! . . . With Kieran working on this and Sarah working on her "tube type thingy" and White Light under her belt already . . . Wow =D>

Dave H :D

Thirded. :D

This was my main motivation in getting a Master...
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for the feedback & encouragement, that is all the support I need for the project (plus using jsbeeb to distribute test builds of course. ;))

The usage rights for the POP source code were made quite clear by Jordan when he posted them to GitHub: https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-Persia-Apple-II

Jordan Mechner wrote:As the author and copyright holder of this source code, I personally have no problem with anyone studying it, modifying it, attempting to run it, etc. Please understand that this does NOT constitute a grant of rights of any kind in Prince of Persia, which is an ongoing Ubisoft game franchise. Ubisoft alone has the right to make and distribute Prince of Persia games.

As we've said, this is a labour of love for those involved and we do it because it's a challenge, it's fun and for the love of the BBC! No Patreon required.

That said, whilst three of the team are gainfully employed elsewhere, our musician Inverse Phase does make a living creating chiptune music (a niche gig by any measure) so any time he spends working on POP is time not spent on paid work. I would therefore encourage everyone to visit his Patreon page and consider supporting him so we may continue to have new, awesome BBC tunes in the future https://www.patreon.com/inversephase/overview. (I know you're already a supporter Matt!)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Matt Godbolt

Postby Matt Godbolt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Cool! Thanks Kieran. We'll keep up our side of the agreement by continuing to give our enthusiastic support!

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Wow - that looks amazing. Congrats to all involved =D>

I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait :D

trixster

Postby trixster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm

It looks absolutely amazing! More screenshots please!
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
Master Turbo + DC + BeebSID | Atom | A4000 060 | A3000 060 | A1200 060 | A500
Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:10 am

Matt Godbolt wrote:We'll keep up our side of the agreement by continuing to give our enthusiastic support!
Hear, hear! =D> It's looking great, but don't kill yourselves with delivery deadlines/stress; it will be ready when it's ready! :D

Dave Footitt

Postby Dave Footitt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Aye, top work, looking really lovely!

I've just had my Master Compact refurbed and this will be the perfect excuse to get it going =D>

Dethmunk

Postby Dethmunk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 am

FYI It's close my Acorn loving friends.... :wink:
Note: This is just a bit of extra artwork I put together for Kieran. (Subject to changes). Up to him what he does with it mind you. He seemed to like it. :D I was just doing a test print of it.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 am

No, no, you've got no time for that, get on with the game!

:twisted: :shock:

Just kidding, it looks great. :D

Just read Jordan's journal from that time (when he created Prince of Persia); interesting read (but very very light on any technical detail.)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:31 am

This PDF is a good read of some of the technical bits.

http://www.jordanmechner.com/downloads/popsource.pdf

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:23 am

Almost a year after first looking at the code here we go: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14858.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/