How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
pixelblip

Re: How do you save a screen

Postby pixelblip » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I did try that Tricky. I think we just gotta accept the processor is rubbish ( which we always knew ).
I'll see if I can nab a windows tablet from somewhere......they are cheap now anyway............and a jot pro

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 am

Oh I have spent the last waking hours trying to draw an Imperial Stormtrooper's eyes ](*,)
Getting that face right is like playing the solo to a Whiter Shade of Pale. Everyone knows it and they can tell straight away if it's wrong!
May the force be with me on this one. I think it's going to be hard! :lol:
That logo was the best imagery of all.......it's so 70s and distinctive
Attachments
SW.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 am

Looks pretty good so far, looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Use the force Luke :)

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Coming on a bit now.........wish my tablet was fast enough! Painting with the mouse is like doing crochet............it makes me think about the good old days with an AMX mouse and how in reality it wasn't so good! :lol:
Poor old CP30 is looking a bit rubbish at the moment. Pictures are a labour of love.
I am going to take a break and come back to it after practising a few verses of Lola on the guitar :lol:

Update.........well spent some more time on it today (top image ) - it's getting much better now. Will come back to it next week and finish it....but for now pleased :D
Attachments
swcol2.jpg
swnew1.jpg
Last edited by pixelblip on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:30 pm

PS Fourthstone that Undo feature has proved a godsend ( before every brush stroke ). =D>

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I had trouble on my actual BBC master with datacentre.

I expected to be able to use the mouse, but I had to use the joystick to move the pointer. Not a real problem, but the mouse doesn't do much, so I was hoping to be able to use it for something other than GEM.

The main trouble though is when I bought up the menu, it corrupted the screen behind. When the menu closed, it appeared to be random noise that replaced it, flashing colours. Similarly if I bring up the help screen, it is also corrupted. I think I can see messages from some ROMs in the noise. Then when I close the help screen, the whole screen is filled with noise. Is it using the memory where I put the datacentre rom as the screen save area?

Any ideas?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi pau1ie, thanks for doing some testing on real hardware :D

The mouse routine is based on the analogue mouse stick in beebEm, I haven't looked at using a real mouse as yet but happy to adjust as required if I can. Might need some further details or help from people around how the mouse works but it should be possible. Are you using an AMX mouse? Thinking I need some detection logic to determine which type of mouse is attached and configure accordingly.

The menu, help screen and undo function use bank 4 and 5 of sideways RAM to store screen data. There is also about 2k of asm code stored in bank 5 which gets called to draw the colour patterns of the menu. This could be where the issue is if there aren't banks of RAM available in these slots?

There is another 2 pages of asm code loaded at &0E00 and PAGE is configured for &1000, according to the datacentre info this shouldn't be an issue.

Making me really want to take a Master out of storage so i can do some proper testing =;

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Just tested Beeb Em and Art on a Toshiba Encore tablet. Works a treat. Really silky smooth.
So I will get a jotpro pen to use on a capacitive screen. What a pleasure to be able to draw.
The only thing that isn't working is a double tap to bring up the menu. I wonder why. Need to investigate that one.

Can't get over how cheap tech is nowadays. To think you can get a windows tablet for 50 quid that works so fast ( and it's a modern day Atom). Kids don't know how good they got it..........my beeb was £399 back in 1985......I sound like a right old codger :lol:

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Nice one finding a tablet that works nicer, we'll have to come up with a supported hardware list when we go production :wink:

Double tap is probably a timing issue with the double click detection, can you paste the following program into beebEm and give double tap and single tap a few tries, let me know what the results are or take a screen print. If double tapping is working you should see a ms time displayed when a double click is detected, if if keeps saying single click we've got some other issue with the way the beebEm detects the stylus input. The timeout is set for 100ms, you could try adjusting this code if you like to play around with the timing... actually I think it's tenths of a second but it's all relative according to Einstein :lol:

Another thing might be to have a look at the control panel if there is any special settings for the stylus for detecting input?

Code: Select all

10MODE7
   20D%=0:E%=0
   30REPEATUNTIL(ADVAL(0)AND1)
   40T%=TIME
   50REPEAT
   60B%=(ADVAL(0)AND1)
   70IFB%=0THENE%=1ELSED%=E%
   80UNTILD%=1ORTIME>T%+100
   90IFD%=1PRINT"Double Click Time (ms):";STR$(TIME-T%)
  100IFD%=0PRINT"Single Click!"
  110REPEATUNTIL(ADVAL(0)AND1)=0
  120 GOTO20

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:54 am

Ahh I can see the first problem.
You can paste the code but you can't run it! When the tablet on screen keyboard pops up and you type nothing happens.
That's because Beeb em doesn't work in the background.........it seems to lose window focus. Nothing I've tried works.
Really what the emulator needs is a built in on screen keyboard ( I don't think I've seen this issue on Android in the past).
This tablet uses Windows 8.1 (urrrgh).

I don't think the double tap issue is because of this but will investigate further tonight after work.
Now time to rush around in the dark and cold like a headless chicken before another day of gruelling work. Bye!

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:28 am

Might have to hook up a usb keyboard if possible?

Let me know how you go, I've got to head outside with a glass of wine and have a soak in the spa... hard life eh :lol:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 am

FourthStone wrote:The menu, help screen and undo function use bank 4 and 5 of sideways RAM to store screen data.

That is the problem then. The datacentre manual suggests putting the ROM in socket 4-5 so you can use HDINIT. So I took the MMC out of socket 8, and moved the datacentre ROM into that, and it is all good.

FourthStone wrote: Are you using an AMX mouse?

I think so - it plugs into the user port, and works with GEM, but nothing else. I would also note that even when the joystick is still the pointer wobbles a bit, I expect this is the ADC not giving the same value each time. I also can't get right to the corners of the screen.

More problematic, and not something you can help with, I can't draw! Having said that I wasted loads of paper printing out pictures I drew in Timpaint when I was at uni. I had found a screen dump to printer utility on the internet, so every page had the tools on the left side.

Amazing program - thanks!
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:24 am

More problematic, and not something you can help with, I can't draw!

You are in good company then :D I always leaned towards creating utilities to help me create games because my art skills were somewhat lacking...

That is the problem then. The datacentre manual suggests putting the ROM in socket 4-5 so you can use HDINIT. So I took the MMC out of socket 8, and moved the datacentre ROM into that, and it is all good.

Some logic to detect available ram would go someway to avoid this type of issue, any tips would be well received, I will do some research to see what I can nut out also.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:12 pm

I posted up what I use to find SidewaysRAM here http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=912&p=7291#p7270, but I'm sure there is a more polite way on a Master.
To help with MMC compatibility at the cost of loosing SolidiskSidewaysRAM support, delete lines with &FE60 and &FE62 in them. If you leave them in on some of the (MMC) ROMs, the next operation may fail, but will then succeed on subsequent attempts; I put an ON ERROR in to retry on error, which can be seen in the BASIC loader for AstroBlaster.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Hey everyone. Forgive my lack of pictures lately! Life gets in the way sometimes.............hope to be bringing some more to you soon ok.
Thinking of doing some kind of spring riverbank picture with a wood...........

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Great to hear pixelblip, looking forward to some more funky beeb art.

Did you ever get a chance to check out the double tap thing on the tablet? Was interested to see if we can get that working for you. I haven't given up on ART just yet, I've got some idea's percolating away to make it more useful with an even bigger palette and some handy tools :-k

Happy drawing :D

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Fourthstone.
Thanks for keeping up the momentum. I'll test the double tap thing again. It would be good if you could add a hotspot to a corner that would bring up a menu (or a square you click on in a corner it could bring up a palette). Only in passing if you have a mo.
Thanks again .......I will get cracking soon.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Updated ART, minor changes at this stage to add the following:

* Hot spot in top left corner to open menu, requires mouse to move to corner but not while clicking or drawing
* Hot spot is 2 pixels wide by 2 pixels high, let me know if this is ok, seems to work good with the mouse
* Menu is now 20% bigger! Realised I had some spare room in sideways ram so made it slightly larger... nothing new in menu as yet but planning some extra patterns (more colours!) and tools selection.
* Autoboot is now implemented, shift-break to auto boot (can still type CHAIN"ART" if required)

Let me know how you get on :D

ART.zip
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am

That is super. Thanks so much! Very useful additions.
One day I am going to have to get my head stuck into the code and take this over from you............in the meantime...........maybe another painting ( and need to finish old ones!).

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Fourthstone.
I had a go this morning.
With my tablet I found it quite difficult to get into the hotspot in the corner with Beebem.....I think I need a few more pixels space might be needed ( or a square you click on) .
Also just to report the double tap still doesn't work on my windows tablet just to let you know. I wonder why.

So I was thinking............maybe it would be a good idea to have a thick border around the screen (and a frame inside it ) so you can go to a hotspot anywhere on the outer screen ( say 10 pixels wide )......that reduces screen estate I know .....but it would mean not having to be so accurate trying to get to the hotspot. If you framed the picture I would know where the boundary lies. Just an idea unless you can think of a better one ! :)

I am looking at your code at the moment to see how you achieved the hotspot but had no luck so far.....

It's really useful to see you having autobooted the program - rather than having to type chain "Art" on a tablet..............thanks a lot.
Hope you are going to have a relaxing weekend. I might well solve it first looking at the code but it might take me all day to find it ! :lol:

Also what do you use to edit the program - do you cut n paste the listing into a windows editor of some sort to make life easier?

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey pixel,

Will have a think about another way to get into the menu, hoping we don't have to lose too much drawing area but also have to make it easy for you to use... I wonder how gestures would go :wink:

The code to detect the mouse in the top left corner is the following line:

1280 IF E%=0 AND my%>1012 AND mx%<16 N%=1

To make the area bigger to say 10 pixels change it as follows:

1280 IF E%=0 AND my%>979 AND mx%<80 N%=1

I use Notepad++ to do all my editing, it's perfect for editing multiple files at a time, then I usually compile it all with beebasm-master in a command prompt then test directly in beebem. I can code, assemble and test changes within seconds, it's really quite different to coding BITD.

Let me know how you get on with a bigger menu hot spot.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks for getting back to me over the weekend Fourthstone......

The hotspot pixel width isn't so much of an issue with the mouse but with the pen a lot more difficult.....interesting that....
I've been studying your code all day....I saw that entry and nearly got there.....but I didn't quite! So your reply is appreciated.
Well enjoy Sunday......the weekend goes so quick doesn't it!
Bye for now.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Wow I can't believe the way we've come so far............ :)
I can paint with a pen now....on the tablet...........that's amazing.....it's nice welding old and new technology together.
There is plenty of life yet in the BBC eh.
I ordered a jotpro pen which turned up.....so I am doodling in ART with it. The jotpro isn't as nice as a waacom but this tablet I' am using is fast enough so it's cool for now.........it will be interesting to see what I come up with...........

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 am

ART Update, refactored some asm and Basic code, included all source files in ZIP for anyone interested in playing around with it.

Main changes:
Menu drawing code re-done to a generic plotting routine, still draws fast enough and makes it easy to change pattern sprites.
Added 4 extra patterns per colour and a solid colour selector.
Re-jigged the menu layout with words for the menu items.
Made use of free sideways ram to expand the menu to 12 character rows.
Basic program changes to accommodate menu changes and fix minor bugs.

Things still to add:
Generic tools for shapes, fill, text, sprite tools selectable from menu.
Custom patterns
Loadable sprites
Proper file load and save menu with error checking

Things to note:
Master compatible only at this stage due to RAM and mouse requirements
Double click or moving mouse to top left corner activates menu
Hotkeys still work but most functions are supported through menu and mouse clicks (except tools like fill and line)
If compiling source files, paths in ART_DrawMenu004.asm and ass.cmd will need to be changed to suit your folder configuration.

Enjoy and any questions or bug reports or feature requests are most welcome!

ART.zip
(14.96 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you so much Fourthstone for your continued work on this. I look forward to trying this out.

Apologies it's gone quiet a bit lately on my front. I was lying in bed the other day thinking ' I need to do some more pictures '.....I did start one the other day and it went pretty dismally ...I will get going again.......you have done lots of work....thank you.

The trouble is there are so many distractions ( pleasurable ones ) today......the internet......youtube......learning guitar.....learning about VR........my Ipad ( I love using Garageband lately).........making lots of music.......B-Em and Music 5000 ( that one has been a really good timewaster wallowing in nostalgia !) ...sometimes having to go do work and fit this all in and the chores is too much!

I've been planning on this spring picture for a while now........so keep em peeled as Shaw Taylor used to say!
I'll give you some feedback and try to get it going again on my tablet ok!
Last edited by pixelblip on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Just incase anyone hasn't downloaded this yet - look at this awesome new palette and new shades! Amazing ! =D>

The new shades are very well thought out........well done Fourthstone. To think a 30 year old computer can still look great like this.

This is going to be the definitive art package for the BBC me thinks......it's really shaping up to be really cool.
Attachments
Wow.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Hey Pixel, completely understand regarding distractions, ART has became one of my distractions that has sort of become a mission to see if I can make it useful hehe, so not really sure where it's going other than I kind of like working on and improving it. It's been really good practice for getting back into beeb programming for me as well :D

You might be interested in another project I am working on which is a Windows based drawing / import / sprite utility, it's not quite ready yet but it may be a better way to draw beeb pictures on a tablet being a native app rather than a been app running in an emulator. The drawing part will have all the colour and resolution limitations of the beeb but be written in a modern language so there will better performance and more features available like unlimited undo and better graphics tools like blend etc. Anyway, when it's getting close to ready I'll post it up for you to try.

I'm determined to get distracted onto another project for a while now which is a little game re-write that I've been (not) working on :lol:

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:49 pm

The new shades are very well thought out........well done Fourthstone. To think a 30 year old computer can still look great like this.

Looks great and it's just a few shades! Just a reminder that if you wanted to change any of the shades or lay them out differently I've made it easier in the latest version so please do let me know if you wanted to change the patters in any way :D

All the patterns are made up of a 2x4 grid using 2 colours (although it is possible to use all 8 colours in the grid! That will be possible with a future feature custom patterns)

C1 C2
C3 C4
C5 C6
C7 C8

It's amazing what patterns can emerge from this very simple arrangement :shock:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Super thanks for explaining how the patterns work!

Well off I go to the drawing board so to speak.

I look forward to seeing your Sprite windows BBC thing. That sounds very interesting.

Also your game. Wonder - what will that be???? I am curious now!

Ok go forth and enjoy your distractions!

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Spring
Attachments
Spring.jpg

Return to “programming”