How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
pixelblip

Re: How do you save a screen

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

Ok Fourthstone I will see what comes out..........got a fayre to go to today so Saturday is knocked out!
I had a little go last night and designing icons is a lot harder than I realised.
I think the only way for me to visualise it is to design them in a mode 2 screen! At least I can resize them.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:03 am

Updated ART for portrait mode, not nearly finished but framework in place to get the ball rolling.

Pixel can you try it on your tablet and see how it fits?

Improved the line drawing speed and generally made the code more modular to support moving bits around.

The tool strip is currently 100x500, tool tiles should be 48x48 as I want to keep a border for highlighting current tool selected.

I tried a white background and black background for the tool tiles, happy with anything as long as I can make the border stand out.

While having a test run of everything and drawing I noticed the undo and cls buttons will be more suited to the tool strip, maybe save and load will work better there as well... interesting change actually, feels like it might be a much better way to access all tools and the other menu area can be used for gradient or other tools settings panel :o

The main canvas is 752x920 in case you wanted to experiment with a skin...

EDIT: Noticed a bug with file save/load and undo, fixed in next release probably tomorrow.

Enjoy :D
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(31.99 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks Fourthstone. You are doing a lot on this even at the weekend! I will try it out tomorrow.
I wonder if people stay in more in the winter over there.... and get more programming done then :)

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 pm

That is much better. I really like portrait mode.

The way you designed the circles fills is very elegant .

Its also nice to have the line drawing in.

I prefer a tablet in portrait mode it's much more comfortable to sit down on the bed and rest on your lap.

I really like the window and interface now. It will be fun to design some icons for the program and a skin. I can imagine something gradient like and cosmic!

It would be nice to see others use this software. It's shaping up really nicely. Credit to you for all this work.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Juar noticed undo has a bug. It doesn't seem to work after drawing circles and consequently not at all after you draw a circle

Thanks a lot.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:50 am

Another update, have been refining new menu system, fixed undo and now has multiple undo, haven't enabled redo as my head has stopped working with a cold :lol:

For the multiple undo's I have capped it at 10 with the variable maxUndo%, feel free to nominate a suitable amount of undo's but also keep in mind at this time undo's are saved as files which take just under 1mb each... not really huge.

Will have another look tomorrow, and yes winter I seem to be doing more programming but really I am just enjoying playing around with this project and seeing the results in your artwork :D

Have a play and as always any feedback is much appreciated.

EDIT: Just noticed I've enabled the wrong button for undo, please keep in mind when testing, will fix next release.
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(30.81 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I am glad you are still enjoying this and it is keeping the grey matter ticking.........computers can be fun when not at work can't they! It's great being involved in collaboration like this............as we can't all be good at everything and we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Multiple Undo.....that is very useful........thank you. I think 10 will be fine.

I am still going to do these icons and need to set aside some time.......I have a good idea......

Hope you are on the mend with a cold. I know you don't want to hear it but I am finding it too hot at the moment to do much. Bring on the winter! :lol:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Fourthstone....I dont seem to be able to draw in black. When you choose black it hightlights the Transparency tool.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Ooops, I'll have to put the transparency option somewhere, I left it out when moving things around, will try do it today #-o

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Minor update, transparency added back in, I've jammed it in the tools panel for now but I need to remove this panel completely at a later stage as the new tool strip handles all the same functions... anyway might need a rethink on how options like transparency are displayed... any ideas? Maybe a tool strip icon that changes appearance when clicked/toggled.

Also fixed the undo button to the correct one.

Enjoy :D
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(30.91 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for sorting those odd things out. I have started a new pic.....trying the new version out......trying a space Elite kind of pic......so let's see if I can get it done in the week.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Have been thinking about lots of things last night. Its a shame BBC basic isn't available for
IOS....I can imagine running ART as an app.......I am prepared for trouble here mentioning Apple ! :lol:

The reason why my mind started to wonder about this was that Bamboo have just released a pen for IPads that let you draw accurately onto an iPad. It's a first. They have only just come out. They are an alternative to buying an expensive IPad Pro and even more expensive Apple pen.

https://www.macrumors.com/review/wacom- ... ch-stylus/

These pens are going to be quite pricey.

I'm happy with running art on my windows tablet in BBC Basic of course......it's brill........but I can imagine a future where you could run this software on an IPad .....and get more people doing BBC 7 colour art :D

Whether we like it or not IPads are everywhere now! Of course I am not discounting Surface tablets and how popular those are becoming lately. I don't see them around much myself.....

Anyway sorry I was just having thoughts last night in bed about this. Imagine you had different pens that looked in the style of a Beeb or Speccy that would correspond to you starting the app in that computer graphics mode. Hmmmmm that could be very interesting :lol:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Another thought I'd had is that I might start trying to program the Graphics Extension Rom Chip again and then import these images into ART to paint over. I can forsee some more abstract work coming out of this............
I came across some of my old GXR experiments the other day................and that got me thinking that could be an interesting approach mixing computer generated art with painted art.........so let's see what I come up with!

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 am

The SDL version of BBC Basic is available on Mac, not sure about an iPad version though :-k

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 am

Hmmmm.....I see it exists for Android. That is interesting. Art in your pocket would be ace. Its finding a pen ....all food for thought eh

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Art v2 sort of runs on my LG G3 phone runs on android amazingly.

It fires up in BBC basic and your briefly you see the main screen and then it flashes to black so in theory it could work if the resolution is right :)

It will be very interesting down the line to see if this works I've always got my phone on me all the time. It means anyone could to doodle any place and time. More food for thought! Sorry all these suggestions are probably a bit annoying but I never stop imagining and getting excited about new inventions etc

Also BBC basic being available to the Raspberry pi is also very interesting.

grobda

Postby grobda » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:55 pm

just downloaded art4win - nice work! :)

been mucking about with beeb graphics, drew this in beebspriter and paint;

rtype.png

still a bit rough and off-scale but i got carried away to get something mostly finished - an idea of what rtype in mode 2 might look like (impossible i know) :lol:

art4win is certainly easier to use, my method is rough hand-drawing then zooming and finessing - I guess from my degas elite days on the atari st.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm

That is fantastic. My cup of tea. Nevryon was very good on the Beeb. What a great screen you've done! :D
I will check out Beebspriter ta.
Also remember Degas Elite. That and good old Spectrum 512 on the ST :D

We have Fourthstone largely to thank for Art 4 win. He's been amazing. Will be exciting to see how it develops.

Add: Let us not forget all the folk who have helped on the way. Wouldn't have come so far without you all.
Last edited by pixelblip on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:27 pm

pixelblip wrote:Will be exciting to see how it develops.

grobda wrote:just downloaded art4win - nice work! :)

I like to think of it as a group effort, been a bit busy at work and home of late but I've been percolating an idea for the gradient fills and other tools and optimisations.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the icons / skin might look for the tool bar, any progress so far? [-o<

Also happy to take on requests or ideas for features or changes to how ART works so please feel free to make suggestions. It's all programmed in basic so anyone could review the code and offer enhancements or features.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 am

I'll get on the case about doing some icons.
Sorry same here with work ...let's see if I can do some on Friday eve.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Started doing a few......I've made them 16x16 as it's a lot easier to cope with.
We can scale them up. I want to make them Mode 2 looking!
Attachments
So Far.JPG

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:54 pm

pixelblip wrote:Started doing a few......I've made them 16x16 as it's a lot easier to cope with.
We can scale them up. I want to make them Mode 2 looking!

These look great =D>

Could you possibly save them as BMP format?

The JPG format introduces colour artifacts from compression and it's just not mode 2 enough :lol:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 am

I've done them all now (as we add to it I will do more later). Up all night again on Friday! All original and I've not copied from anyone else! :lol:

They are all 48 x 48. The secret was to do them as 16x16 first to make them look chunky then I resized up.

I have them as PNGs ....in this zip

Next is the skin. That is going to be more difficult!

I might just touch up the Load. There is something not quite right......one sec
Attachments
Art v2 Icons.zip
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
ART V2 ICONS.jpg

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:21 am

That's better :wink:
Attachments
Art V2 Icons New Load.zip
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
ART V2 ICONS New Load.jpg

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:46 am

Oops forgot Fill! :lol:
Attachments
ART V2 ICONS New Load and Fill.jpg
ART V2 Icons New Load and Fill.zip
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:36 am

Arrgh was downstairs making brekky and suddenly remembered I'd forgotten the transparency icon !
Attachments
Art 2 Icons with Transparency Icon added.JPG
Art V2 Icons with Transparency added.zip
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 am

They are looking very good. Actually better than icons of the same period.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks Elminster. It's the first time I've tried designing icons. It's really fun...... :D Having some David Bowie on helped !- gone but not forgotten :( O:)
Here's me playing around with what it might look like now - I will think about a logo next. I think I will put the word Art on as a skin across the background...do it in pixelly yellow
Attachments
Art 2 Mockup Imagine.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am

Oh wow, this is really developing well, thank you so much for letting me help with making something useful for your amazing mode 2 artwork =D>

I've made a few updates, including the new icons, I've used highlight boxes but I really like the way you've shaded the active tool so I might play with that for the next release.

New additions include box drawing, and I've updated the circle fill to work faster. No gradient fill yet, apologies as I am still working up to something interesting hopefully [-o<

Please play around and let me know any feedback... one thing I'm still working on is circle outline, it's not quite right yet but does work semi ok for a smaller brush size, I just need to tune how it plots.

Happy drawing :D
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(9.55 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am

Great thanks for those updates Fourthstone.

Hmm I will see about that plasma rainbow background. I love colour and rainbows but that plasma thing can be so overdone !

Hopefully I'll get some pictures done this weekend in between ironing, hoovering, washing up, cleaning, making supper....you know the 'chores' of the weekend we all dread that seem to take for ever! :lol:

Return to “programming”