How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
FourthStone

Re: How do you save a screen

Postby FourthStone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 pm

One more update, I've added 2 gradient fills for horizontal and vertical rectangles, let me know what you think.

Still thinking about gradient fills, need to come up with some controls to specify start and end pattern, direction etc.
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:01 am

That's fantastic. Thank you.......gradient fils are so useful.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:07 am

The gradient rectangle fill is awesome. Well done to work it out! I bet doing it with irregular shapes is a proper head scratcher :lol:

Down the line it would be nice some control over the graniness of the gradient dither if your head can take that idea :lol:

You were right to go to windows to develop this software.....I'm not sure a BBC or Master would have coped.......
Circles are also cool, having an outline is really good. :D

Down the line some more things I can think of are an airbrush with variable flow , patterns, =P~ copy and paste and even layers...I can think of so much! :wink:

Having the icons in there is really interesting.....its really looking like a professional program! The multiple undo is very useful of course.....developing this and then painting with it has been a lot of fun so far!
Last edited by pixelblip on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 am

Gradient fill in action and new icons for people following the thread
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 am

pixelblip wrote:You were right to go to windows to develop this software.....I'm not sure a BBC or Master would have coped.......

Would be interested to see what a master with pitube co pro and videonula only version could do.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 am

Good to hear feedback!
Elminster wrote:Would be interested to see what a master with pitube co pro and videonula only version could do.

I'm still pretty confident that I could stretch my abilities a little further a produce a similar program for the Master using ASM, but..., I do think that having more screen real estate, extra ram and menu's for tools and the palette do make a nice improvement on what be be possible on a beeb.
pixelblip wrote:The gradient rectangle fill is awesome. Well done to work it out! I bet doing it with irregular shapes is a proper head scratcher :lol:

The irregular fill won't be much different to what is already coded, I could whip that up next release for H and V gradients.

I am trying plan more control over start and end patterns and gradient direction, I'll hunt around and play with a few idea's before coding it up... please feel free to offer any suggestions on how it might work :-k
pixelblip wrote:Down the line some more things I can think of are an airbrush with variable flow , patterns, =P~ copy and paste and even layers...I can think of so much! :wink:

I am still working on the airbrush but I am struggling conceptually on how it will render based on current pattern selected... one idea was that it's just based on the current colour selected and it's a gradual fill using a solid colour... just can't picture how it should flow over the canvas so to speak...
pixelblip wrote:Having the icons in there is really interesting.....its really looking like a professional program! The multiple undo is very useful of course.....developing this and then painting with it has been a lot of fun so far!

I've noticed we're reaching the limit of the free version of BB4W, I've had to cull quite a few commented blocks to ensure enough free RAM is available for stable program operation.

Couple of options here, switch to SDL or buy the full version... I've considered the full version as the graphics performance for this type of application seems to be better suited to BB4W, although as far as I can tell BB4W is no longer being actively developed and the SDL version might be a better long term choice.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 pm

We will have to think about this Fourthstone (sdl). Would that be much work for you......you have spent a lot of time on it now.
I can live without all the other features but so long as your appetite is still strong we can move ahead with more ideas.....

I can only imagine the pictures are going to get better and better over time. Already in 6 months they have developed.

Let's hope some other users can contribute some pics in the future.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 am

Small update, time a bit limited but managed to do a few little changes:

* Added place holder icons for brush styles
* Updated fill routine to have an unlimited stack, used a sneaky fix so complex shapes don't overflow the stack causing incomplete fills
* Changes to tool highlights
* General clean up and optimizations

Happy painting :D
Attachments
ART4WIN_Portrait.zip
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 am

grobda wrote:just downloaded art4win - nice work! :)

been mucking about with beeb graphics, drew this in beebspriter and paint;

rtype.png

Very inspiring, is it really only 160x256?

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 am

tricky wrote:Very inspiring, is it really only 160x256?

I've tried my hardest to keep it true to mode 2 :D

If you find anything that doesn't look right please let me know.

grobda

Postby grobda » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 pm

tricky wrote:
grobda wrote:just downloaded art4win - nice work! :)

been mucking about with beeb graphics, drew this in beebspriter and paint;

rtype.png

Very inspiring, is it really only 160x256?

good point, I double-checked and it isn't. not sure what happened there can only think i got muddled up with resolutions.
so here's a revised image on an actual BBC in mode 2;
rtype mode2.jpg

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Still looks amazing =D>

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Thank you for posting an update Forthstone.........
I've been really struggling this week with the painting.........spent hours on my King Tut - that is the most difficult thing I have drawn yet.......the lips are a nightmare! It's all the reflections in it as well. I must finish it though as I have some unfinished pics still to do that I posted on here a while back. Ho hum!

Return to “programming”