How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
pixelblip

Re: How do you save a screen

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 am

Hey Fourthstone
I see what you mean now, I am getting the yellow fringe.....yes how odd. It reminds me of the joys of Amiga fringing and HAM mode. Let's hope the developer can squish it. I thought it was my low res monitor at first !

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 am

Hey pixel,

I've found the crux of the issue with rectangles and filled boxes so I'm ready to start looking at ART again, will try to find some time over the next few days (... RL pending) and see if I can tidy things up a bit...

If you're interested in what I found, you can read this post which details how things are treated in BB4W... not straight forward but at least repeatable so I can work around it.

http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=173966#p173966

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am

SimonSideburns wrote:I wonder if it is at all possible to change the name of the original post in this thread.

Every time I see it I fail to make the connection between what the post has become to how the original query started out.

Simon

That can be done. I'm open to suggestions as to the most appropriate title...

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 am

FourthStone wrote:I think a thread (or two, or a git) for ART would make sense, and... I really think a whole (new) channel could be devoted to Retro artwork.

It is also possible to split this thread into two (or more) seperate threads if that is something that members would like. Which posts go where is something that needs to be considered.
Or it can be left as is, but with links to new threads.

I welcome feedback from all members, but would especially like comments from Pixelblip, as it Is his thread.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:34 pm

pixelblip wrote:One thing I always wanted was a Cumana touchpad for the BBC. From memory though you couldn't use it with anything other than their software. Are there any other tablets for the beeb?

I don't know much about other tablets but I recently became the owner of the Cumana touchpad. It is connected not only to the Auxiliary power connector (with a passthrough to still provide power to floppy drives) but also to the RS432 socket.

This means the touchpad (even though I haven't got mine working yet) can be set to various modes via vdu commands after you issue some *FX commands to connect and tell it which mode to go into).

One mode enables a constant stream of button and stylus coordinate data to be sent back.

You've just got to interpret the results. In fact, the software that came with it is a simple BASIC program (with various *FX and VDU commands, as well as INPUT command reading coordinates, etc.)

Shouldn't be that difficult to integrate the code from that into ART.

If I get my touchpad working reliably I will have a go at adding the commands into the program.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 am

To be honest I don't mind splitting the the thread up....I do appreciate it has gone off topic but at the same time I quite like the fact it's the way it has evolved i.e. Not organised. I am a messy bugger and this thread reflects my personality rather well :lol:
I think people are used to going to this one thread to see a few pics and the software developing...it's much easier all in one place and less fragmented

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:35 am

Well done Fourthstone for finding that rectangle work around...........
Good luck to you Simon in getting your Cumana tablet to work

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:23 am

Quick update, had a chance to re-factorize the ART source to be more flexible with adding new controls and easier moving (certain) things around.

Haven't had time to put in the main features as yet but place holders and some pseudo code are in place for future development of how it might work.

Please have a play, let me know any feedback, if I'm on the right track, major or minor bugs etc. Hopefully will find time in the next week to flesh out some of the main features, but also wanted to post the current code as a milestone of progress.

This is a fun project and I am really happy with how the code is progressing :D
Attachments
ART4WIN_009.zip
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:16 am

This is great Fourthstone!
Ill test it now. Thanks.
Some more pics over at the other thread.
I figured if I started a new thread I might as well carry it on there......this is a programming section after all.

Ok tested.....new placeholders are a nice idea. I like the brush slider. :)

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:53 pm

pixelblip wrote:Good luck to you Simon in getting your Cumana tablet to work

No luck yet. Even without the PAD software running the device is supposed to register presses of the stylus (which I don't have but I believe anything should work well enough) by lighting a pen down LED on the top of the device. That hasn't happened yet. Also, at one point while I had it plugged in the whole BBC Micro switched off. I moved things around (including unscrewed the top of the touch pad and looking around inside) and whatever was causing a short now isn't and it's back working again.

But, still no joy with anything pressing down on the touch pad being registered. I've checked for shorts in the power connector that attaches to the Aux Power socket and whatever was causing a short isn't now. I don't know what else to try.

I will take another look again in due course.

I've not taken any pictures (but I could) but once I opened up there appear to be a number of patch wires that have been soldered on inside (probably to rectify PCB layout issues). I have no idea if they're supposed to be there. Also, I need to maybe figure out what the circuit is doing and see if there's anything I can do (with a multi-tester) to diagnose any problems.

I'll look out for dry joints, or failing components while I'm at it (as best as I can). I don't suppose there's a service manual anywhere?
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 am

Another update, I've managed to get line draw and polygon (circle for now) working although line draw can be slow for large brushes, something to work on tomorrow :lol:

If you have time please have a play and let me know if ok... the circle drawing is particularly interesting \:D/
Attachments
ART4WIN_009.zip
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Nice one ! That's nice to have line drawing in there now Fourthstone. Well done. Circles as well. Thanks.
It would be nice to have a button 'filled' or non filled later........adding circles is a cool thing as I am so rubbish at doing them.
It's nice also to have a visual representation of the brush size.

What I like is that fact we are still using BBC Mode 2........in all the 8 colour glory

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:50 pm

pixelblip wrote:It would be nice to have a button 'filled' or non filled later....

I thought about ways to do this, how would you be imagining the non-filled to be drawn?

I was thinking one of the following:
* Drawing with current brush size around the perimeter with the center of the brush at the circle radius
* Drawing with current brush size around the perimeter with the radius as the outside edge of the brush size, brush size would be cropped if radius is smaller than the brush width
* Draw a single pixel wide circle in the current brush pattern

Let me know your thoughts :-k

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm not sure which one to pick Fourthstone :)
I guess a circle that is the size of the brush......but then you might have to be able to see the brush (like an XOR) across the image......at the moment you can't see the brush....just thoughts.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Just one more thing As Peter Falk would have famously said.

Sorry this might be a pain but currently Art seems to cut off the menu either at the bottom or right hand side, I've got a few tablets but even at 1366 x 768 it seems to cut off in horizontal or vertical orientations,
It's not a problem as I can get to most tools but it is food for thought if the window could auto fit somehow into the given resolution.
I hope that will not be pain in the bum! If it is please don't concern yourself.

My ......how ART has come on from the heady days of 6 months ago. I wonder where we will be in 6 months!
Down the line I will start to suggest the dreaded gradient fills! Those might be hard to do. One step at a time though eh! :wink:

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 pm

pixelblip wrote:Just one more thing As Peter Falk would have famously said.

Sorry this might be a pain but currently Art seems to cut off the menu either at the bottom or right hand side, I've got a few tablets but even at 1366 x 768 it seems to cut off in horizontal or vertical orientations,
It's not a problem as I can get to most tools but it is food for thought if the window could auto fit somehow into the given resolution.

Autofit might be a stretch but I could make ART a custom resolution to make sure it fits on your tablet, how much is being cut off? Maybe a photo or if you could let me know the screen resolution of your favorite device maybe I could adjust ART to that size.

The interface is mostly dynamic so we have some room to play if we want to squish things or shuffle position etc.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am

Another update, flood fill is now working, not sure if it's 100% but seemed to work in all of my tests so please feel free to give it a work out and let me know you find bugs. Screen prints are good as I can see whats gone wrong :lol:

Gradient fills next... I wonder...
Attachments
ART4WIN_010.zip
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:36 pm

That's great thank you Fourthstone. Well done. I wonder how you got those fills going with the patterns. The mind boggles. I don't know how you did those patterns still.
Gradient Fills would be useful to do skies e.t.c - just saves a bit of work painting......

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 pm

pixelblip wrote:I wonder how you got those fills going with the patterns. The mind boggles. I don't know how you did those patterns still.

The great thing is it's all very straight forward basic code, the fill code is a standard(ish) line scan method and uses a list of X,Y list to store locations to come back to after finishing the current line.

The pattern code ended up being quite simple, it just divides the screen into a 4x4 grid and looks up the current pattern value for each element for any X,Y location on the screen.

That's what I like about programming in basic, it is approachable from simple maths point of view and I struggle when transposing the same ideas to raw assembly :?

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:17 am

Ahh that patterning explanation is a bit easier to understand now. Thanks.

Here's a screenshot of Art / photo of my tablet at 1366x768 in landscape and portrait that I mostly use in portrait mode. It's rather thin and I prop it up on my lap in portrait.
I also use a 4:3 tablet at 1024x768 ......I will take a look at that at the weekend :D

Portrait is top one and you can see its cut off. Sorry for the bad photos as I'm taking them first thing In the morning trying to get up for another gruelling day over a thick black coffee!
Attachments
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 am

Ah I see, well the current mode 22 gives 1024x768 plus borders and title bar so maybe I can reduce vertical size by about 32-40 pixels which will fix it for landscape mode but portrait mode might be more of a challenge, time for a think and thanks for the pics it helps to know how ur using it!

P.S. You're using the old version :lol:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am

Yes Sorry the old version...........I have tried the new one here.....
My tablet that I use ( sitting on my bed) is 1366x768....so slightly wider....it's much easier to hold it in portrait mode as it tends to rest on my lap and I put ART window to the top of the screen.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am

pixelblip wrote:My tablet that I use ( sitting on my bed) is 1366x768....so slightly wider....it's much easier to hold it in portrait mode as it tends to rest on my lap and I put ART window to the top of the screen.

Oh gosh, it's quite interesting to see how other people think about the UI :-k

Would it help if the UI was switched around to make the drawing area at the top so everything is not upside down?

Any preference for left or right side for the drawing window? e.g. Is it easier to draw on one side of the tablet so that your hand has somewhere to rest?

Anything is doable just let me know and I'm happy to customise for the best configuration based on the way you use it :)

Here's a mockup for ideas? Apologies for the icons :lol:

ART_Portrait.jpg

Hoping someone can draw some art icons for me? They can be high/true colour as BB4W can display any bitmap without affecting the rest of the palette [-o<

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 am

I'll have to have a think here. If the palette is below will I risk catching my palm on it as I am drawing.

We might have some talented icon designers on here. I can imagine Mode 2 icons that look quite cute!

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 am

You could rip the icons off of Deluxe Paint 4 from the Amiga :)

Give oyu that semi modern, semi retro feel.

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm

I think I will pay homage to them rather than copy directly ..........they are (sorry pun intended) iconic

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I just noticed that pic Fourthstone. Those are accurate gradients fills in those circles ! :D

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 pm

pixelblip wrote:I just noticed that pic Fourthstone. Those are accurate gradients fills in those circles ! :D

I've practiced shading over the years but never quite refined the art so to speak, I usually mess up the perspective or lighting angle or scale in drawings I've attempted so I throw it away and start again with a fresh look and then make some other fundamental error :lol:

pixelblip

Postby pixelblip » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 am

Gradients aren't the easiest at times.

I might try to design some icons this weekend and have a bit of a break from the painting...........might try designing a skin of some sort which could be fun.........

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:55 am

pixelblip wrote:I might try to design some icons this weekend and have a bit of a break from the painting...........might try designing a skin of some sort which could be fun.........

That would be great pixel, if you do have a go I've worked out some dimensions for the tool icons to make sure everything will fit onto your tablet in portrait mode.

All dimensions are in pixels...

Main application canvas will be approx 768 wide by 900 high, i'm thinking to cut 16 pixels off the width to allow for borders etc. leaving 752 wide actual for the app canvas.

App Canvas: 752x900 (should fit nicely on 1024x768 in portrait mode)
Mode 2 Screen takes up 648x520 (including border)
Tool bar: 104 pixels... makes a nice snug fit for 2 columns of tool icons at 48x48 pixels each with a little on each side for a border or highlight box

I'll create a version of Art at 752x900 and put in some mock up icons to make sure it all fits together but I wanted to give you the dimensions of the tool icons in case you get a chance to start creating some of them.

Return to “programming”