!Paint for Windows

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
geraldholdsworth

!Paint for Windows

Postby geraldholdsworth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 pm

So I've finally taken the plunge and begun writing my Windows application to load RISC OS Sprite files...it's hard going getting my head around the format - Bitmaps are so much easier (at least I'm halfway there!!). This is following on from my taking the plunge to write an application which takes a screenshot of (so far) PC Repton 1 Editor, and outputs a bitmap of a complete map (of course, eventually, this could be a CSV of the map, or a JPEG/GIF/PNG bitmap). Both these projects are largely just to see if I can do it - i.e. self gratification.

Anyway, the biggest problem I have is what to call it - it's currently called !Paint for Windows, but I suspect that that name would be copyrighted (as would just plain 'Paint'). Any suggestions anyone? How about 'The Stardot Sprite Convertor'?

(incidentally, the first version of my 'Repton Map Decoder' is on the Repton Resource Page website, which comes alongside the Repton Map Display application...I just forgot to include the saving part in the first version!)
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

flibble

Re: !Paint for Windows

Postby flibble » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:19 pm

!Paint isn't trademarked from the Acorn side (no need to worry about copyright with regards to naming an independent application). So I say '!Paint for Windows' :)

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm now actually wondering if '!Paint For Windows' represents the eventual application I'm writing - I'm not intending it to be a Windows version of !Paint, but to load RISC OS Sprite files into Windows.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Here is the first beta release of this application. It doesn't do much - click on the directory button to open a sprite file (and hopefully it won't try and open a non-sprite file), and click on the floppy disc icon to save all images as Windows bitmaps. You can also double click on an image to open it in it's own window, which can be resized. It also has it's own floppy disc to save just that image.

You can ignore the pane on the right hand side - this just shows the internal sprite data as it is loaded...although, feel free to have a look through it.

A few things:
* It doesn't take any notice of the transparency masks - dealing with these, and producing an appropriate bitmap, is looking to prove difficult;
* It ignores the partial palette for 256 colour sprites - it will only use the palette of these if they are a full palette;
* Any sprites with a mode flag of 7 and above can not be opened - mainly because I don't have any examples of these, so if you do, I'd love to hear from you. These sprites are:
CMYK, 24bpp image, JPEG, 16bpp 5:6:5 TBGR, 16bpp 4:4:4:4, 4:2:0 YCbCr, and 4:2:2 YCbCr

I've also tried to document the format, so it is all together in one place, and also how to convert Sprites to Bitmaps - this is in the accompanying PDF.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Attachments
!Paint For Windows.zip
(955.76 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

Return to “programming”