Abersoft Forth

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
rune

Abersoft Forth

Postby rune » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi, just became a member of the forum.

I'm still finding my way around and have some questions which may already be answered, but I haven't found anything yet.

OK, my first question concerns a Model B with a Turbo MMC.

I have lost the Turbo MMC instructions and programs but have just about worked out how to use it again. Do the instructions exist anywhere?

Next, I want to use the Beeb for programming, particularly using Forth. I have an Eprom burner and copies of the ROMs. I have Abersoft Forth running but can't save or load screens to the MMC card. Is this possible?

If not, can any of the other Forth ROMs use the MMC card?

Dave

DutchAcorn

Re: Abersoft Forth

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 am

I sent you a private message with a link to the TurboMMC support CD (including documentation).
Paul

rune

Postby rune » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks for that, I've just downloaded it and will get the docs printed for when i get home from work.

Dave

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:08 pm

rune wrote:...Next, I want to use the Beeb for programming, particularly using Forth. I have an Eprom burner and copies of the ROMs. I have Abersoft Forth running but can't save or load screens to the MMC card. Is this possible?

Does the MMC card not just work as a filing system with an appropriate ROM? If so, this become "Does Forth enable the execution of either an OS (*) command, in which case you can execute *SAVE with the appropriate addresses, or build a control block to call OSFILE.

rune

Postby rune » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi, the mmc card works OK to a point. I think the problems are caused by the way that the Forth was implemented. Certainly its a lot more awkward to use than other versions I use. There are SAVE and LOAD commands which only work if the files being access already exist.

The Forth files need to be pre-configured by creating the screens using the forth command CREATE-SCREENS. This builds as many files named nSCREEN as the media will hold. Each screen is supposed to be 1K but seems to take 10K on the SSD drive. So you are limited to about 20 screens @ 10K = 200K.

I thought it was possible to save a Forth page by entering something like 11 SAVE. But the file needs to exist ( BSCREEN) - numbers are in HEX. If the file hasn't been created, it doesn't work.

I've saved and loaded a few screens, but it really is a bit off a faff. The BBC/Forth editor is primitive to say the least.