New version of Centipede for the BBC Micro (in progress)

new games to be launched and discussed here
tricky

New version of Centipede for the BBC Micro (in progress)

Postby tricky » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

Hi, sorry I've been so slow getting this first demo out, it hasn't been much work, but I've managed to spend nearly no time coding.
You can move (inc through mushrooms), shoot, hit mushrooms and the centipede segments, collide with the centipede and progress to next level if you hit all the segments. The centipede will split if it collides with itself, or if you shoot it.
There is no sound and I think you can shoot a segment while it is exploding!
You can move: [Z], [X], [/] ,[:] (probably ' on emulator) and [RETURN] to fire.
Pressing fire on the joystick will activate joystick + keyboard mode, careful not to click if you have mouse emulating joystick in an emulator.
Things to add:
* fix extra heads spawning, so they don't collide immediately with the centipede.
* player movement blocking by mushrooms.
- working, but could be improved - Dave, can you feel the acceleration ;)
* the flea, drops down the screen spawning mushrooms (does it only drop when there are less than 5 mushrooms in the player's area?)
- flea still needs to be shootable and collide with the player
* the spider, bounces around being a nuisance.
* the scorpion, poisons mushrooms, which cause the centipede to dive until it reaches the player's area when it hits them.
* sound.
* improve control.
+ high-score table and name entry (maybe)
Is there anything else I have missed?
In the arcade ROM, there are graphics for some kind of grass-hopper, does anyone know what it was supposed to do?
I don't think I have ever played millipede, I have heard that it isn't as good as centipede, does anyone think differently?
Attachments
CentipedeDemo1.zip
(4.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
demo1_shot.png
(1.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tricky on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranhj

Re: New version of Centipede for the BBC Micro (in progress)

Postby kieranhj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Good work Tricky, as always! The question everyone's asking though - when is there going to be a 16 colour NULA version? :D

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Well, with the beeb sprite ripper (or whatever it is called) and 3 pixels per byte attribute mode, as soon as someone makes it :lol:
Small update, added the flea for when there are 5 or less mushrooms in the player's area (bottom quarter of the screen) - need to fix player-flea collision and make it shootable.
There is a bug that occasionally leaves a double width shot on the screen, I can't remember if it is when you die, or when you complete a level.
Attachments
CentipedeDemo2.zip
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Sorry, i've been very slack with this, but I haven't forgotten; lost a day to sound as usual.
Here is a small update with some sound, should support keyboard and joystick (fire to activate, then you can use both).
I've still got nearly 5K free and can't think what to do with it all :lol:
Attachments
CentipedeDemo3.zip
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Return to “software: new games”