Wanted, uef BBC copy of Video's Revenge by Budgie

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
Michael Brown

Wanted, uef BBC copy of Video's Revenge by Budgie

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 am

Does any one have a uef tape copy of this game as I would like to take a look at the first few files.

Michael Brown

Re: Wanted, uef BBC copy of Video's Revenge by Budgie

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:16 pm

I have not come across a BBC uef tape image yet.

I did find a Electron copy.
Here is what I have been able to piece back together so far using the electron tape scrolling instructions and a hacked BBC copy of the originally highly protected main game and a copy of a hacked Budgie loading screen from another copy.

To get the text scrolling in mode 1 instead of mode 4 (as per the Electron version), I have borrowed some code from Who Dares Wins 2 which is also by Toby Butler.

It's a right mix-match, but this is as close to the original Budgie BBC tape version as I can remember.
It would be great to get a tape image and compare just how close this version is.

Enjoy!

Videos Revenge.zip
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Fraser

Postby Fraser » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:18 pm

I tried to make a UEF file from the BBC tape but it probably had dropouts. One side has slightly different data to the other which is fairly unusual. Using MakeUEF these switches are needed with the labeled side: -z 96 8N1 -z 98 BBC -z 99 8N1. For the unlabeled side substitute 100 for 99.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:18 am

Just been through one of my old disks and found this copy. It was a hacked BBC version from BITD.

Just compared it to my mix-match version and I was amazed at how close I was with it.

VideosRevenge.zip
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

PS I would still love to see an original tape image of this as I am sure the main game was highly protected so there may have been some sort of loader for it.

Mick.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 pm

I've got a copy of it on a "Computer Hits" tape somewhere, so I'll see what I can do (might be a .raw file to start with, and don't know if the protection would have been removed by the time it got to this compilation?) Might be at home, or in the set of tapes (including Boffin) that are (hopefully!) coming over from the UK.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Both tape copies of Video's Revenge and Boffin would be great. If you can't get them uploaded here, then could you at least make a written note of file names, lengths and addresses of each game and post them here until a way is found to include whatever extra files and data they contain. One way may be to copy them tape to tape and post me the copy and I will then load them into my BBC and copy them to disk.

thanks anyway,
Mick.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 am

Got as a big raw file (63Mb - entire side of cassette A, side 2 - side 1 didn't play nicely, so sweated over that), but the files for Videos Revenge are listed below.

What I did to get this list - (a) played the tape into my laptop, recording a .raw file; (b) plugged laptop into real BBC B's cassette port (c) on the BBC - *TAPE and *. (d) on the laptop - play the .raw file ... and (e) wait a LONG time ...

Code: Select all

VIDEO 02 0300
VIDEO1 01 0200
SPLIT 08 0900
TITLE 25 25FF
PART1 1D 1D40
INST 03 0400
PART2 08 0900
PROT 02 0300
(not all the details you asked for, but a start.)

Haven't actually tried loading the game - it took a long time to get this far! But I've got it in a raw file now, so don't have use the tape any more, hopefully (side 1 very fragile, and a couple of Data? errors for another title on side 2.)

I'll try and split out the Video's Revenge part from the big raw file ... and one day UEF ... I'm trying to understand how sound & computers work ... didn't bother about it BITD, but I'm really wanting to know now - how do those warbles and screeches "magically" turn into code? (That's a rhetorical question - I'm finding lots to read ... but *understanding* is taking a bit longer!)

EDIT - loaded the version of the game I have on 5.25" disc (disc labelled 1987 ... check for disc mould, pray, etc.) - on there it is one file ...

Video 1900 4100 2D00
... no idea where I got that from ... I don't think it is one that I worked around myself ...

P.S. on the tape it's listed as by Alligata - your original title says Budgie - what's that about? Was it re-released or something?

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 am

Budgie was a cheap label belonging to Alligata or released on behalf of Alligata. I did have the original tape myself BITD but it is long gone. Seeing the file list for the games jogs the memory. I would imagine that the massive loading screen was compressed into the file called Title and the main game that as saved to disk as one file would probably been split into several small files loading all over the place with the last part highly protected at the end of the tape.

We will have to wait until it can be made into a uef before we know for sure unless you can do a *opt1,2 and *cat of the tape image and then list all addresses here.

regards,
Mick.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Michael Brown wrote:unless you can do a *opt1,2 and *cat of the tape image and then list all addresses here.
That's exactly the bit (*OPT1,2) I couldn't remember - thanks - will do so when/if I get time tonight.

EDIT - found some time to myself today! After this will try loading it (Master first)

VIDEO 02 0300 FFFF1900 FFFF8023
VIDEO1 01 0200 FFFF0400 FFFF0400
SPLIT 08 0900 FFFF2700 FFFF2700
TITLE 25 25FF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
PART1 1D 1D40 FFFF09C0 FFFF09C0
INST 03 0400 FFFF7C00 77777C00
PART2 08 0900 FFFF2700 FFFF09C0
PROT 02 0300 FFFF4000 FFFF4000

I'll also try and chop the raw file into smaller bits so that I only get the Videos Revenge part of it - will speed up things no end!

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:21 am

Didn't get too far on the Master ...

First screenshot is from VIDEO program, then VIDEO1 loads, changes mode and it loads SPLIT (you can see that in the second screenshot.)

SPLIT finishes loading, and then the machine crashes with one long VDU 7 tone - have to control break ... I'll try on a BBC B later (TVs, cables, tables, moves etc. involved, so will definitely have to wait until later!)
Attachments
video2.jpg
Videos Revenge - second screen (loading SPLIT)
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times
video1.jpg
Videos Revenge - first screen
(14.13 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 am

OK, works fine on the BBC B, and here's a few more screenshots from the loading process.

Is this the sort of thing you were interested in, Michael? I know you want to get your hands on the files - but have I got what you were expecting?

SPLIT loads TITLE directly into screen memory (and there's a reference to BUDGIE to answer my previous question), there's a click of the cassette relay as each chunk loads. Then PART1 loads (as it loads there's a scrolling message, I videoed some of that), then INST loads directly into 7C00 (so MODE 7) - so a bit like the title, there's a chunk loaded into screen memory at a time.

After the PART2 is PROT, then you get "Please wait a moment." (guess the protection code at work here?) and then you get the game screen proper.
Attachments
videor_title_loading.jpg
Videos Revenge - after SPLIT, now TITLE loading directly to memory
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
videor_title_loaded_scroller.jpg
Videos Revenge - TITLE loaded directly to screen memory, scroller in action
(15.25 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
videor_inst_loading.jpg
Videos Revenge INST loading directly to MODE 7 memory
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
videor_after_prot_loaded.jpg
Videos Revenge after PROT file loaded
(14.06 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
videor_loaded.jpg
Videos Revenge ready to rock and roll
(20.13 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:18 am

Right, not quite UEF, but hopefully you can use it (or someone can make a UEF version from this.)

This file DEFINITELY works - I have played it back to my BBC B from my laptop and the game loads fully & correctly. This is from the "Computer Hits 2" tape.

Raw format, 8 bit unsigned, 22050 Hz - on OpenBSD I play it back with ...

aucat -h raw -r 22050 -e u8 -i videos_revenge.raw
Attachments
videos_revenge.zip
Video's Revenge - raw file, unsigned 8 bit, 22050 Hz (from Computer Hits 2 tape)
(4.72 MiB) Downloaded 96 times

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 pm

This is great, although I haven't figured out how to make a uef tape image yet (as I have never needed to before). I don't suppose you could load and save all these files to a blank disk using *Opt1,2 *Tape, *Load, *Disk and *Save commands and then post what you can transfer here.
I should be able to fill in the rest with what I have.

One thing I have noticed is that the tape image only contains the keys for the game in the mode 7 screen dump but the disk copy that was pirated and spread around BITD contains full instructions.
It would be interesting to find out where these came from. Were they from the PIAS issue? Or did someone else issue this game with them?

regards,
Mick.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:00 pm

it won't go to UEF or CSW :twisted:
BUT! it will go to .ssd with Jon's bbctapedisc proggy =D>

one file is currupt, being the last file PROT.

anyways, here they are, use *INFO to get order on tape, now disc 8)

CM :wink:

PS i will try last file at home again, as this Win7 laptop does not like my £600 music editor proggy :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

EDIT better file in my post below with PROT file on disc :D
Last edited by CMcDougall on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:01 pm

CMcDougall wrote:one file is currupt, being the last file PROT.

#-o PROT is the file that does the magic to decode PART1 & PART2. Luckily it looks as though each byte from &9C0 to &3000 is just EOR'd by &45. I'm guessing 9C0 is the execution address since it's on both of the parts :)

PitfallJones

Postby PitfallJones » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm

BUT! it will go to .ssd with Jon's bbctapedisc proggy

There's something magical about bbctapedisc - it's often worked for me as well when all else is failed - For some reason CSW can't handle some wav files.

-PJ

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:38 pm

This is excellent news.

I will take a proper look at this tomorrow when I get some time.
I should now be able to reconstruct a working disk copy that mirrors the original tape files.

The only question left is...
Do I include the longer set of instructions with this game (as before) or keep it identical to the tape version. Normally I would opt for including as much stuff as possible (as long as it is original and part of the game), but I am not sure where these longer instructions originated as they are clearly not part of this tape package.
I may opt for doing 2 images, I original tape on disk and the other being a disk edit with the longer instructions.
Any ideas?

Mick.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:00 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:PROT is the file that does the magic to decode PART1 & PART2. Luckily it looks as though each byte from &9C0 to &3000 is just EOR'd by &45. I'm guessing 9C0 is the execution address since it's on both of the parts :)
Gee, that was going to be my next project - what is the protection & how does it work? :cry:

Oh, well, I'll switch to seeing if I can work out why SPLIT crashes on my Master instead (now that Samwise has pointed me in the direction of the Hac-man Micro User articles)!

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:16 am

Well, here it is...

VideosRevengeTAPE.zip
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

This is the best copy of Videos Revenge that I could re-assemble using what has been posted here.

I have added the delay to the loader so you can read the first screen and also re-inserted the routine for pressing Space to continue from the mode 1 loading screen.
I have omitted the basic instructions and gone with the original keys only screen dump.
I have loaded the main game (using the disk version I already had) into 2 parts starting at &19C0 through to &4000 instead of &9C0 through to &3000 and then using a downloader in the file PROT along with a "Please wait a moment." message that I have inserted from the visuals that were posted here. I have used a slight delay to allow you to read these instructions or you can press any key to start.

It would be nice to know and see what code was originally in the PROT file but other than that, I believe this is now the best version of the game and the closest we may get to the original tape version.

I have tried to keep this as close to the original as possible, but I have had to make slight changes in order to work from disk.

Mick.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:30 am

I've just looked (using Beebem) at the version you posted 9th April, and it was pretty close to what was on the tape, wasn't it?

I'll see what I can do about getting the PROT file posted here (but billcarr2005 must have got it to be able to see what it does ... EORing with &45.)

The extra instructions (i.e. the 2 optional pages, not the controls list page) are not at all like the leaflet that came with Computer Hits 2 - so I'll scan that and post as well.

The disc version I have (from BITD) didn't have those instructions, either - it goes straight to controls list and then the game.

(I've sent another prod re. Boffin!)

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:50 am

My original version was very close.

Here is the new version of the disk copy.

VideosRevengeDISK.zip
(13.27 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

I have included the longer instructions in the first file.
Also I have removed the PROT file altogether and the downloader is now stored in the VIDEO1 file to save disk and file space.

You can take your pick as to which one you want.

ref Boffin, would love to see the original files and data for that one!

Mick.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:14 pm

maybe beat me to it, but here's the full tape as a .CSW file (can't get UEF)
and also the whole tape on disc after farting about with my music proggy to turn it from .RAW 22k into a .WAV 44k 8bit mono file :wink:
Attachments
videosRevengeC.zip
videosRevenge CSW tape only
(331.81 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
videosRevengeS.zip
videosRevenge SSDisc with PROD file
(12.22 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
ImageImageImage

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm

excellent stuff Colin!

I've just just taken a look at PROT file.
It still baffles me now just like it did BITD.
Seeing all this again brings it all back to me.
I remember now that I couldn't get this file to decrypt the main game so I transferred the BBC loading screen but used the Electron version of the game which was blue and yellow instead of BBC one which is green. It was only when the BBC version was release on a PIAS disk that I finally got the BBC version and I simply copied it back over the Electron one. I bet that the PIAS disk is where the nice little instructions came from as well.

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm

PROT

From &4000 to &417C, repeated calls to &4291 are made. This takes the RTS address from the stack, and EORs all the values up to &4290 with the byte at the RTS address, immediately after the JSR &4291. RTS then returns to the original RTS address +1 and the process begins again.
By adding an RTS before the altered (+1) values are PHA'd on the stack, you're dumped back to the BASIC prompt where you can

>CALL&4000
>CALL&4004

etc., until the loop is over.

At &41CB there is a further decryption loop that uses the system VIA timers, but this can be thwarted with an RTS at the end of the loop, before any decrypted instructions are executed.
There is then a "dummy" decryption loop (since the code appears to want to decrypt upto &7C00) at &4202 which trashes the memory from &3100 up to the part of the loop when it breaks itself.
Then finally at &4244, the data from PART1 and PART2, &9C0 to &3000 is EOR'd by &45 before JMPing to &9C0
:)

There's just 2 files for Video's Revenge on PIAS17 ... VIDEO1, which sets up the envelopes and displays the single screen of instructions, and Video2 which is the main game...

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:From &4000 to &417C, repeated calls to &4291 are made. This takes the RTS address from the stack .. .&41CB there is a further decryption loop that uses the system VIA timers ... &9C0 to &3000 is EOR'd by &45 before JMPing to &9C0
So nothing much there, then, eh? :shock: :lol:

Thanks for explaining that all ... I might have a go at looking at SPLIT to see why it crashes my Master, but getting fed-up with my current lack of progress getting things BBC<--->PC, so got to switch to looking at that next!

[Boffin getting posted today, but will take 7-10 days to get here, and I'll start another thread for that. Fingers crossed tape still OK, I've been so lucky with my old discs and tapes so far!]

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 pm

SPLIT is redirecting IRQ1V to it's own piece of code at &27E5, then JMPing to the usual BBC Micro IRQ1V (&DC93). On a BBC Master, this is in a different location, so presumably JMPing to &DC93 isn't very helpful!
Once there, it gets stuck in a loop it can never get out of :(

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:00 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:Once there, it gets stuck in a loop it can never get out of :(
Hence the beeeeeeeeep forever ... thank you! I'll have a dekko myself because I'm curious ... but got to sort out my BBC<--->PC issues first (or get an Exmon ROM, I suppose?) otherwise gets a bit too hard.

Thanks.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:49 am

richardtoohey wrote:The extra instructions (i.e. the 2 optional pages, not the controls list page) are not at all like the leaflet that came with Computer Hits 2 - so I'll scan that and post as well.
Here is the scan of the instructions - not that riveting, but (a) worded differently to the instructions that appeared in the zip files and (b) for the archives ...
Attachments
videos_revenge_instructions_from_computer_hits_2_tape.jpg
Video's Revenge instructions from Computer Hits 2 tape
(142.45 KiB) Downloaded 1171 times

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Here's my crack at it BITD, complete with loading screen.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to start the game using BeebEm 4.14?
Attachments
VideosRevenge.zip
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

tobybuk

Postby tobybuk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello all

This discussion really brought a smile to my face. I wrote Video's Revenge when I was 16 and studying for my first year of A-Levels. I loved writing this game and along with my school friends had great fun playing it.
But what I really enjoyed was BBC Micro software protection schemes and particularly cracking them. I was always hot on the trail of any new game which had a new form of protection and in fact the game was often discarded once the protection was cracked. It became an obsession of mine to crack every game.
I then went from poacher to game keeper and sold a software protection system to AcornSoft (Neil Raine of Planatoid fame and David Johnson-Davies) what I believe was the first application of system VIA timers and quick Zero Page 6502 instructions to foil attempts at decryption. Part of this protection code made it into Video's Revenge.

Very pleased people are keeping things alive.

Toby

Return to “archive requests”