Beeb SD card interfaces for sale

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
sirmorris

Beeb SD card interfaces for sale

Postby sirmorris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

New design! Lots in stock! (Nov 2017)

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

Board £4.50
ROM £2

Most people will require a board + ROM. If you can burn your own ROMs then you can save £2.

The ROM can be programmed with your choice of MMFS version, or any of the other freely usable filing system implementations.

I only use MMFS myself so I'm not in a position to be able to advise on other systems - but I'm sure they all have merit. If you're not sure which MMFS is right for you I can advise, just tell me what computer you will use this with. The latest binaries are available here at *. courtesy of our own Hoglet.

I build these to order so please bear with me if there's a slight delay!

Shipping varies depending on the destination and service required. Prices for one board:

UK 1st class £2.50, 1st signed for £3.50
EU standard air £4.50, tracked £9
Rest of world standard air: £5, tracked £10

For multiple boards please ask. Up to 3 sets is usually no more.

Email: charlie_robson at hotmail . com
Last edited by sirmorris on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.

danielj

Re: Beeb SD card interfaces for sale

Postby danielj » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 pm

[Subtle. ;)] - that was when the image was about 2 foot square. Much more reasonable now! :D

d.

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 am

Haha yeah, it was a bit large wasn't it :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

I can confirm that these work beautifully with SD/SDHC cards :)

d.

bobpard

Postby bobpard » Fri May 05, 2017 9:13 pm

email sent :-)

peterb999

Postby peterb999 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 pm

I've just received a board, rom and cable from sirmorris today after contacting him over the weekend.

It works a treat, very happy.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Fri May 12, 2017 2:07 pm

sirmorris wrote:
Board £4
User port cable £2
ROM £2

Most people will require a board + cable + ROM. If you already have a spare user port cable you can use that. If you can burn your own ROMs then you can save £2.

These are very nice, and too cheap! The original design is minimalistic which is cool. And you really don't need more speed so I see not much point in the turbo mmc version. If you need to access megabytes of information quickly, it's a job not for the BBC micro. Thinking back to the 32016, it would have been more fun with a MMC/SD interface (but then with a unix like filing system) I suppose, though in reality the 32016 with Panos is just like any unix OS and as I use FreeBSD on my PC, I would have been bored fairly quickly after I tried my speed tests anyway.

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:And you really don't need more speed so I see not much point in the turbo mmc version. If you need to access megabytes of information quickly, it's a job not for the BBC micro.

Actually, the turbo interface only speeds up writes.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Fri May 12, 2017 2:29 pm

hoglet wrote:
Wouter Scholten wrote:And you really don't need more speed so I see not much point in the turbo mmc version. If you need to access megabytes of information quickly, it's a job not for the BBC micro.

With access I'm thinking not of just reading, but of data modification. But writing data is always less common than reading so generally there's not that much point in having faster writes, but also faster reads are not that important.

So with write/modify speeds, I was thinking about for example something I did in 1984 or 1985, calculating all positions on a rubik's cube that only affected the top layer. It was impossible to solve this because of the speed of the BBC micro (I did do it in ca. 1999 IIRC, on a ppro 200 resulting in several gigabyes of output), but it would have been nice to have been able to store all results that were possible to calculate and then to use them for better algorithms. In such a case, write speed difference is likely noticeable (even on the PC, getting the output to the harddisk with high speed was actually a part of the optimisation I did at the time when running on FreeBSD, as using stdio was slow when doing small bits at a time), but in total time I suppose not that important.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri May 12, 2017 5:43 pm

hoglet wrote:

Are you sure? I have seen significant differences in loading times between TurboMMC and the 99P based MMC solutions.

Not that it really matters much in practice.
Paul

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Are you sure? I have seen significant differences in loading times between TurboMMC and the 99P based MMC solutions.

I'm pretty sure :D

Using which File system ROM?

On which type of BBC Computer?

Dave

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri May 12, 2017 8:32 pm

hoglet wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:Are you sure? I have seen significant differences in loading times between TurboMMC and the 99P based MMC solutions.

I'm pretty sure :D

Using which File system ROM?

On which type of BBC Computer?

Dave

It was two years ago since I last checked, and that was with SmartSPI on a model B. I'll have a look if I can do some speed comparisons between MMFS and TurboMMC this weekend and report back.
Paul

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 am

^pointless, see MMFS support thread for timings already done & proved :P

now compare to load /save time with a tape :lol:
ImageImageImage

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 am

CMcDougall wrote:^pointless, see MMFS support thread for timings already done & proved :P

now compare to load /save time with a tape :lol:

I stand corrected; there is no noticeable difference in (read) performance. :D
Paul

sweh

Postby sweh » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:It was two years ago since I last checked, and that was with SmartSPI on a model B. I'll have a look if I can do some speed comparisons between MMFS and TurboMMC this weekend and report back.

MMFS has most of the read speed advantages of TurboMMC (within a few percent) because it didn't require additional hardware, just programming :-)

TurboMMC allows for faster writes and it's easier for people to put together (ROM, cables, mounting hardware, SD card, CD of useful software), but if you're happy building things yourself then the 99p solution is a good choice. This board from Sirmorris makes the 99p solution even easier :-)
Rgds
Stephen

matt_nottm

Postby matt_nottm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi, I've checked with Charlie first, and he is okay with re-sale at cost. I've a couple of these interfaces surplus to requirements which I'm happy to sell at cost to star dot folk:

Interface, cable, MMFS 1.36 ROM (let me know if you want BBC B or Master), and Kingston branded SD card pre-setup and fully tested.

Truly plug and play. £12 posted per interface setup.

Vectrex

Postby Vectrex » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:40 pm

matt_nottm wrote:Hi, I've checked with Charlie first, and he is okay with re-sale at cost. I've a couple of these interfaces surplus to requirements which I'm happy to sell at cost to star dot folk:

Interface, cable, MMFS 1.36 ROM (let me know if you want BBC B or Master), and Kingston branded SD card pre-setup and fully tested.

Truly plug and play. £12 posted per interface setup.

Hi, yeah I'll take one thanks. I just missed out, was about to buy one :) I've got a BBC B. Not exactly sure how to PM as I'm new on this site and can't see any PM on your profile page? Mighty nice of you to offer them!

matt_nottm

Postby matt_nottm » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Interfaces sold to Vectrex and co., no more left...

matt_nottm

Postby matt_nottm » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 am

- SOLD -
Last edited by matt_nottm on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hinotori

Postby Hinotori » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:08 pm

I have 3 of these and can say that they are really great! Thanks for making them!

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am

These are really nice, now the main system I use (though the Challenger is better for keeping page at E00 for a standard BBC B), but if you're going to make changes in a future version, perhaps a micro-SD holder instead of SD, or even both? Will add cost and effort, but just up the price more than the cost , the boards are too cheap as it is!

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Although it would lower the overall quality, you can get 10 micro SD to SD card adaptors for 99p delivered via China from ebay.

Robofruit

Postby Robofruit » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 am

Registering interest, already contacted via email to say I would like to buy one of the new batch.

Robofruit

Postby Robofruit » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Payment sent to Sirmorris.

Robofruit

Postby Robofruit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

Freshly installed, my Beeb SD card solution. Thanks to @SirMorris, a very helpful fellow and went the extra mile in adding a longer cable to enable me to mount internally.

The other mod you can see is my volume control and mono out to enable sound to be switched to the monitor.

YuT666

Postby YuT666 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Sorry, my fault. Put my question in the right forum.
Libera Te Ex Inferis ...

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

YuT666 wrote:so i obtained the right ROM for the Master.

Can you be more explicit about which ROM you are using?

i.e. either upload it, or provide a link.

Dave

YuT666

Postby YuT666 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Please come over here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&p=178965#p178965

My fault ... don't want to destroy this thread.
Libera Te Ex Inferis ...

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

The EPROM drought is over woohoo!!

So has anyone discovered ghost wol in the new boards?

Whopper

Postby Whopper » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:07 pm

SirMorris,

I have received and fitted my mmc interface. and now I am looking for some pointers as to instructions / manuals / oracles / sacrificed goats etc as to learn how on Earth to use this thing.

Among the huge amount of things I have to learn are -
Is there a size limit on the SD cards?
How is the SD card formatted?
What do I do when I hear the computer muttering "Bloody amateur" behind my back?

If any one can assist in my progress along these lines I would be most grateful.

Whopper
You woke me for THAT!!!

Return to “for sale / freebies”