New release: Retro Software's WHITE LIGHT by Sarah Walker for the BBC B/B+/Master & Master Compact

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Arcadian

New release: Retro Software's WHITE LIGHT by Sarah Walker for the BBC B/B+/Master & Master Compact

Postby Arcadian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 am

After a development span of over nine years, White Light by Sarah Walker was finally completed at last weekend's ABug user group meetup in Leicestershire. It will be released imminently! :D

White Light is a vertical scrolling shootemup and boasts the following features:

• 14 huge, increasingly-taxing levels which total 90k of data
  • Beautiful graphics and detailed background scenery, designed by professional video game artist John Blythe
  • Uses the SDS engine for fast, smooth vertical scrolling in Mode 2
  • 12 enemy ship formations plus static turrets and reactors
  • Collect power ups and achieve up to 4-way multidirectional fire
  • Listen to 4 pulsating music tracks whilst you play
  • High score table with music and saving of scores
  • Keyboard or Joystick control.
Here are some quotes from the beta testing volunteers, who have all played the game through to completion:

• For me, this is the best shoot-em up game ever released for the Beeb (Chris N)
  • This game's been in development a long time, but it's worth the wait ... it's a really great game - best shoot-em-up on the BBC bar none, I'd say. Very polished. (Jools H)
  • It's just amazing for a beeb and feels very polished. Absolutely fantastic effort ... congratulations!! (Lance D)
White Light is only the fifth Retro Software title to be available to buy as a physically packaged game: Zap and Krystal Connection were the first in 2009, followed by Repton: The Lost Realms in 2010 and most recently Mountain Panic in 2013.

For this release we have managed to source a quantity of new and unused vinyl disc wallets - as used by Acornsoft together with the likes of Micro Power, Superior Software (circa 1985-86) and Ocean/Imagine Software.

100 copies of the BBC Micro 5.25" DFS version will be made available for sale together with 25 copies of the Master Compact 3.5" ADFS version.

These will be sold via eBay at £11.95 each (the old 'standard' price for Superior Software disc releases) plus £3.00 UK postage - however StarDot users & members of the Acorn Facebook group can receive a copy for £12.50 inclusive of UK shipping. To reserve your copy, please PM me to let me know which version you'd like (BBC 5.25" DFS or Master Compact 3.5" ADFS) and I'll supply the payment details (payment by Paypal only please).

I will begin posting the discs out on Monday 4th December.

The BBC Micro version is compatible with the BBC Model B, B+ and BBC Master whilst the Master Compact version is also compatible with a BBC Master with 3.5" drive.

No forms of storage other than floppy drives are supported, though it has been tested on a BBC B/Master running from USB stick with Datacentre and also on a BBC Master with CF-Flash ADFS Hard Drive.

White Light will also be available as a free download! :)
Attachments
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_001_L.JPG
White Light (BBC 5.25" disk) - Wallet & Floppy
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_002_L.JPG
White Light (BBC 5.25" disk) - Wallet: Front
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_003_L.JPG
White Light (BBC 5.25" disk) - Wallet: Rear
WhiteLight_MasterCompact_001_L.JPG
White Light (Master Compact 3.5" disk) - Wallet & Floppy
WhiteLight_MasterCompact_002_L.JPG
White Light (Master Compact 3.5" disk) - Wallet: Front
WhiteLight_MasterCompact_003_L.JPG
White Light (Master Compact 3.5" disk) - Wallet: Rear
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Arcadian

Re: New release: Retro Software's WHITE LIGHT by Sarah Walker for the BBC B/B+/Master & Master Compact

Postby Arcadian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:06 am

Here are some more piccies of the fabulous packaging (thanks to John Blythe for adapting the cover art and producing the inlays).
Attachments
WhiteLight_Preparation_Partway_02_L.JPG
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_Wallets_x8_Front_L.JPG
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_Wallets_x8_Rear_L.JPG
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_x50_Wallet+Floppys_01_L.JPG
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_x50_Floppies_Angled_L.JPG
WhiteLight_BBCMicro_x50_Wallets_Stacked_L.JPG

Dave_E

Re: New release: Retro Software's WHITE LIGHT by Sarah Walker for the BBC B/B+/Master & Master Compact

Postby Dave_E » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 am

I'll take two copies of it.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 am

A new game for the beeb? Where do I get it?
5.25” DFS for me!
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:23 am

Great work Sarah! Congratulations for finally finishing the game - a real labour of love - it is without a doubt the finest shooter ever made for the BBC. =D> =D> =D>

Looking forward to playing more than just level 1 repeatedly for compatibility testing at ABUG. :D
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Garrettimus

Postby Garrettimus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

Awesome! One for me, please (5.25" DFS)!

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 am

Garrettimus wrote:Awesome! One for me, please (5.25" DFS)!
Lardo Boffin wrote:A new game for the beeb? Where do I get it? 5.25” DFS for me!
Dave_E wrote:I'll take two copies of it.

Arcadian wrote:To reserve your copy, please PM me to let me know which version you'd like (BBC 5.25" DFS or Master Compact 3.5" ADFS) and I'll supply the payment details (payment by Paypal only please).

:idea:

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 am

lurkio wrote:
Garrettimus wrote:Awesome! One for me, please (5.25" DFS)!
Lardo Boffin wrote:A new game for the beeb? Where do I get it? 5.25” DFS for me!
Dave_E wrote:I'll take two copies of it.

Arcadian wrote:To reserve your copy, please PM me to let me know which version you'd like (BBC 5.25" DFS or Master Compact 3.5" ADFS) and I'll supply the payment details (payment by Paypal only please).

I think I speak for us all when I say :oops:
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

oss003

Postby oss003 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

Yes, nice job Sarah.
Great game, nice graphics and smooth animations ...... =D>

Greetings
Kees

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Arcadian wrote:White Light will also be available as a free download! :)

Presumably only if one buys a physical copy?
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Nope, free download, you don't have to purchase the physical copy

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Dave,
Will we be getting permission to host any of the other Retro Software titles on bbcmicro.co.uk any time soon? [-o<

Lee.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Lee, offer still stands: if we can get the Retro Software site redesigned to the bbcmicro.co.uk-style mockup I put together, Zap, TKC and Mountain Panic can go on bbcmicro once they've been on the RS site for one month!

Mockup below - do you reckon you and Chet might be able to combine your skills and make this happen? Paul's working on other projects at the mo'...

Anyway, if you think this is possible feel free to create a new thread in the bbcmicro.co.uk section and I'll input when I can.
Attachments
RetroSoftwareIndexPage_mockup_170729.png

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Anyone else after a discounted White Light package before I start listing the rest on ebay later today?

Prime

Postby Prime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Arcadian wrote:Anyone else after a discounted White Light package before I start listing the rest on ebay later today?

I take it our convo on facebook counts as reserving a copy....

Cheers.

Phill.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Prime wrote:
Arcadian wrote:Anyone else after a discounted White Light package before I start listing the rest on ebay later today?

I take it our convo on facebook counts as reserving a copy....

Yup, already got one set aside for you!

marcusjambler

Postby marcusjambler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Please put me down for a copy of the 5.25" version :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 pm

You need to PM Arcadian :) (see first post) - although they're listed on eBay now I think?

d.

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 am

I saw this game in action at the Leicester. It looks, sounds and plays incredibly well. Just wanted to add my +1 to all the praise here and say what an amazing job that Sarah has done in putting a great game together (and finishing it..always a challenge)! Props too for John Blythe and his fab graphics.
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm

danielj wrote:You need to PM Arcadian :) (see first post) - although they're listed on eBay now I think?

The eBay link is here:

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi, I am still able to supply copies at the discounted price directly to folks if they prefer to avoid the ebay route.

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 pm

I’d like to order a DFS copy but haven’t posted enough on the board yet to be allowed to PM :) Can you PM me?

Thanks,
Michael
BBC Master 128, BBC Model B i7, Watford Electronics Solderless Sideways ROM board, PMS B2P-6502 2nd proc., PiTubeDirect (internal in Master, external for Beeb), RetroClinic Multi-OS Selector, Sundby 256k RAM/ROM card, TurboMMC, Cumana disc drives ....

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm

You can PM now :)

d.

Return to “for sale / freebies”