Books that need rebinding

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
pau1ie

Books that need rebinding

Postby pau1ie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:42 am

I am on a book binding course. I have almost finished my first book. Thinking about what to do next I was wondering if I could join my hobbies by binding some BBC micro books that are worse for wear?

Does anyone have any books that are falling apart that they would be willing to let me loose on? I will pay postage and a small amount for the book, but be aware that there is a risk I will ruin it so I don't want to be trusted with lolrare books.

Failing that, if anyone has any pretty knackered old worthless books they'd be willing to let me have to practice on that aren't micro related. I'd be grateful.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Lardo Boffin

Re: Books that need rebinding

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:39 am

Are we talking ‘perfect bound’ books? If so I suspect I will soon have one in need of attention!

I got this book:-

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13887

Which I have sent to lurkio to be scanned and I strongly suspect it will fall apart during scanning. I’m happy to ask lurkio to send it you afterwards to have a go at. It would be nice for it to be back in one piece afterwards as it is pretty rare. I’m happy to cover all p&p and take a risk on it.

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:11 pm

First off, thanks for going to so much effort and expense to get the book scanned. I am looking forward to reading it.

I don't know what perfect bound means.

I was hoping for a little more experience before attempting a book that is worth something but you need to scan it so I can use that time. Can you get me a picture of the spine? Is it the type where the sheets are folded round and sewn together or is it the type where all the pages are individual and glued? I'd like to try a similar book first.

I suspect you have expectations about what you want the finished book to look like, which I may not be able to meet, which I suppose is a reason why I wanted to buy them, so its my risk.

Having said that, if you are really happy to take the risk, I am willing to give it a go. PM me when you have finished breaking it!
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Truth be told I’m not sure about perfect bound either - just read it somewhere...

I suspect it may be individually glued but it is in transit at the moment so can’t be sure. I zoomed in on one of the photos I took and it looks glued:-

2E53EE41-6BE6-432D-B5B7-7D170984121E.png

Regarding its value it won’t be worth anything after being scanned - I strongly suspect it will fall apart. So if you can improve on that all is good. I have no expectations as to the end result but if it still holds together then jobs a good un!
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 pm

A perfect bind is a type of glue binding. I think if you are connected up to one of those industrial printers the size of ERNIE you get an option for "perfect bind" in the print finishing settings.