DCI-4 Econet driver

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
gazzaD

DCI-4 Econet driver

Postby gazzaD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:31 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a DCI-4 EconetA driver module? All the references I can find to one online, point to FTP sites that are no longer active. From reading around I get the impression that some were more stable than others, so as many suggestions as possible will be welcome to increase the chances of me finding a working one!

Cheers,

Gareth.
Gareth

richw

Re: DCI-4 Econet driver

Postby richw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Is it not buried in the universal boot sequence? Either Acorn's, or the latest from ROOL.

I remember the DCI4 EconetA. It had some odd bugs (or exposed some in RISC OS!). I seem to recall machine freezes, particularly if CDFS was active.

gazzaD

Postby gazzaD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 pm

It's not in any boot sequences I've seen, probably because of the compatibility issues surrounding its use.
Gareth

philb

Postby philb » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 pm

I have a dim recollection of writing a replacement DCI4 EconetA about twenty years ago, though I might possibly be conflating DCI2 and DCI4. I will have a hunt through my old files and see if I can find the source code for it. But I don't think it was terribly difficult to do at the time, and all the documentation is still available (in fact, the DCI4 docs are considerably more available now than they were then!) so in principle it probably wouldn't be very hard to reinvent that particular wheel.

philb

Postby philb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:56 pm

I found the source code for the one I wrote in 1993 but this turns out to have been for DCI3. However, I also uncovered a binary copy of a DCI4 driver dated 1998 and apparently written by Acorn and DesignIT. I can make either of both of those available if they are any use.

philb

Postby philb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Having exhumed the source to the DCI3 version I thought I might as well put it on github:

https://github.com/philb/econeta

If anybody wants to convert it to DCI4 then of course they're welcome to do so.

Also the source for my Econet packet monitor that I found at the same time:

https://github.com/philb/newmon

gazzaD

Postby gazzaD » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

philb wrote:I also uncovered a binary copy of a DCI4 driver dated 1998 and apparently written by Acorn and DesignIT.

Thanks for finding this. It would be useful if you could make this available, as I've not yet found any other versions of it.

The source code to the Econet programs will also be useful to me at some point with my current project. I'm in the process of writing some code to allow an Arduino to drive an Econet module. I've nailed packet reception, but getting the bytes into the FIFO for transmission at the right speed is challenging. Once I've got a 4 way handshake completing reliably, then I'll be moving on to either building an AUN gateway via Ethernet and / or acting like a Filestore using an onboard SD card.

The more examples I've got of working code the better, as it makes life easier than trying to reverse engineer stuff. The Econet source code on riscosopen.org has been very useful so far in this respect.
Gareth

philb

Postby philb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Oh, that's interesting. I just recently started work on a version 2 of my old Econet/AUN gateway board. Maybe we should pool our resources.

I was about to say that the source code for version 1 was on github, but it turns out that this is not the case: it was on berlios.de but that site is defunct. I'll upload it to github tomorrow.

Return to “hardware”