Microchip PIC microcontroller - copy code

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Elk Towers

Microchip PIC microcontroller - copy code

Post by Elk Towers »

I have a programmed pic that I would like to access so that I can make duplicates, but it has a password so it cannot be read

Is there a program that can "hack" it by brute force? or is there any other way to access it.

the pic in question is 12f609
Nick
lovebug

Re: pics

Post by lovebug »

its been a while since i programmed pics

when you try to read this code protected pic does it give all zero's or some random looking 4 bit data ?

if its option #2 then there is a way but if its all zeros then probably no way as far as i know
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Re: Microchip PIC microcontroller - copy code

Post by lovebug »

any news ?
Image Image Image Image
Elk Towers

Post by Elk Towers »

Not yet

I originally sent the pic to Dave H to see if it could be read, have just pm`d him to see if he can remember what the password was like.

I have a pic programmer on order , probably wont be here till the end of the month so no rush at present.

will update when Dave gets back to me.
Nick
Garth

Post by Garth »

Are you sure it's a password? The CP (code-protection) bit in the configuration word will not allow you to read out the code at all if it's set to protect. It is my understanding that in the earliest versions, it was an actual fuse you blow, like the first PROMs, when you're done programming it, and it cannot be restored. Later ones would let you erase the whole thing and then you could reprogram it; but you could never read out the code once it's set to protect. In the PIC seminar I went to 25+ years ago, they said the only way you might be able to read it out would be to decap it and use expensive equipment to look at the silicon. I've brought a dozen products to market with PIC16's.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Garth wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:48 pm
The CP (code-protection) bit in the configuration word will not allow you to read out the code at all if it's set to protect.
Yes.
Garth wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:48 pm
In the PIC seminar I went to 25+ years ago, they said the only way you might be able to read it out would be to decap it and use expensive equipment to look at the silicon.
The manufacturer (or their representative) would say that. There have been comments in the past that some PICs may be able to be partially hacked. But I was never interested in this enough to investigate further…

Mark
RobC

Post by RobC »

I think I've seen glitch attacks (playing with the supply voltage) against some microcontrollers to allow recovery of the code when the protection bit has been set (not sure if they were Microchip PICs though).
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

this works but is a bit complex

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=40
Image Image Image Image

Return to “off-topic”