Disc Image Manager

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
geraldholdsworth

Re: Disc Image Manager

Post by geraldholdsworth »

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 pm
I couldn't find a list of supported file extensions, so I had to make an ADFS hard drive image first to know that it needs to be ".hdf".
Disc Image Manager does not use file extensions to ID an image, except, when all else has failed, to distinguish between DFS single sided and DFS double sided. I'm guessing you are referring to the open file dialogue box...and I've forgotten to add 'All Files (*.*)'.

Funny you should mention supported file extensions, as I recently compiled a list with the intent on asking here about what they should be. So, the complete list is (at the time of writing):
  • ADFS S : ads,adf
  • ADFS M : adm,adf
  • ADFS L : adl,adf
  • ADFS D : adf
  • ADFS E : adf
  • ADFS E+ : adf
  • ADFS F : adf
  • ADFS F+ : adf
  • ADFS HDD : hdf
  • DFS SS : ssd,dsk
  • DFS DS : dsd,dsk
  • Acorn FS : afs
  • Acorn CFS : uef
  • DOS/DOS Plus : img
  • C64 1541 : d64
  • C64 1571 : d71
  • C64 1581 : d81
  • AmigaDOS : adf
  • AmigaDOS HDD : hdf
  • Sinclair +3 : dsk
  • Sinclair HDD : hdf
1. Acorn File Server (FS) and DOS Plus partitions can also appear in an ADFS image, so have an ADFS file extension (usually adl, adf or hdf).
2. Sinclair formats are not yet supported.

EDIT: Just noticed that I did have 'All files (*.*)' as an option, so I've moved it to the top of the list, which seems a more logical place to put it.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Oh yes - I hadn't scrolled down as far as "All files" - however this still doesn't list files with no extension at all, which is what my hard disc image files tend to be.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Thought a picture would illustrate:
Screenshot_2021-09-12_17-37-56.png
geraldholdsworth

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:30 pm
however this still doesn't list files with no extension at all, which is what my hard disc image files tend to be.
They do on macOS :?:

I'll need to fire up my Linux VirtualBox for this bit (and probably the Windows VirtualBox too)... '*' will probably do the job.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Ah yes...
Screenshot_2021-09-12_19-55-53.png
geraldholdsworth

The single asterisk works on macOS too, and Windows.
geraldholdsworth

I've made available Disc Image Manager version 1.38. This addresses the above issue. I've also made writing to DOS Plus and DOS images possible. The only thing you can't do is create a blank one, add a partition or move files. This is to come.

I'm taking a wee break from development of this to concentrate on a webpage for our local camera club, which has been neglected for most of this year :oops:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

The latest 64-bit version of DIM for MacOS (v1.38) fails to open the attached .SSD, complaining that it's not a valid disc-image. However, DFS Imager can successfully open the image.

:!:

JSW 007 owletExport.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
sweh

Post by sweh »

Hmm, the "Size" field on that disk is wrong; it claims it's only 3 sectors long! But other than this the 4 files looks OK.
Rgds
Stephen
geraldholdsworth

sweh wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Hmm, the "Size" field on that disk is wrong; it claims it's only 3 sectors long! But other than this the 4 files looks OK.
Beat me to it...yep, byte 0x106 should be 0x33 and 0x107 should be 0x20.

I added some more checks to make sure that the files (sector and length) did not go over the end of the disc, unless 'accept zero sectors' is ticked...clearly this has fallen over here. Time for a rethink...

EDIT: Just realised that statement is ambiguous - should be if 'accept zero sectors' is ticked and the reported number of sectors is zero.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

lurkio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:47 pm
The latest 64-bit version of DIM for MacOS (v1.38) fails to open the attached .SSD, complaining that it's not a valid disc-image ... JSW 007 owletExport.ssd
geraldholdsworth wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:08 pm
sweh wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Beat me to it...yep, byte 0x106 should be 0x33 and 0x107 should be 0x20.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation! The disc-image in question was exported by the Owlet BBC BASIC editor (bbcmic.ro), so there's probably a bug in Owlet somewhere.

Still, both DFS Imager and BeebEm can open the disc-image without complaint, so it would be nice if DIM could too.

:?:
geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Still, both DFS Imager and BeebEm can open the disc-image without complaint, so it would be nice if DIM could too.
Yes, absolutely. I agree it should too.

I'll comment out those checks for now until I think of a better way, and upload a new version tonight (my current thinking is to just produce a warning if any files go over the reported size of the image).

Cheers,

Gerald.
geraldholdsworth

I've put 1.38.1 onto GitHub. This is a fudge to get around this issue. I'll deal with it properly for the next release.

What it did highlight was that, if those checks were not in place, this image would have crashed the application anyway, so thank you for pointing it out.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Hmm.

Is creating Watford DFS images working properly on the current Windows version? I try to save Watford images and when I load them back in they appear as standard Acorn DFS ones. I don't seem to be able to save more than 31 files into $ on those images in a Watford-mode emulator, either.

It's possible I am just doing something dumb.
geraldholdsworth

Diminished wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm
Is creating Watford DFS images working properly on the current Windows version?
Possibly not. I'll have a play.
geraldholdsworth

Diminished wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm
Is creating Watford DFS images working properly on the current Windows version?
Sorry for the delay in looking into this...been busy with other projects, work and family.

Yep, you're right. DIM doesn't produce a proper Watford DFS image - just a bog standard DFS image. I'll amend this over the next few days and post up an updated version.
geraldholdsworth

I've just uploaded interim version 1.38.2.

Bug fixes:
  • Creating a Watford DFS image, either single or double sided, failed to work properly resulting in a standard single sided DFS image.
  • Creating a double sided DFS image failed to work at all, resulting in a standard single sided DFS image.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:43 pm
I've just uploaded interim version 1.38.2.
The 64-bit macOS version seems to hang -- sometimes(!) -- after you export to CSV, at least with the attached disc-image.

owletExport.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

EDIT: Also, the File Open dialog box is wider than the width of the screen! And I can't make it smaller! Where are app preferences stored? Can I delete the prefs file at least?

geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:31 pm
The 64-bit macOS version seems to hang -- sometimes(!) -- after you export to CSV, at least with the attached disc-image.
Just tried it and I couldn't replicate. I'll try a few more times. It could be that it's hanging when trying to get the CRC32 for some reason (corrupt file?).
lurkio wrote:
the File Open dialog box is wider than the width of the screen! And I can't make it smaller! Where are app preferences stored? Can I delete the prefs file at least?
The File Open dialogue box is an OS driven thing, so I have no control. Just tried that on my machine and it was fine. To be honest, I never use that method to open files, but drag files onto the application to open or add them.
The preferences are stored at /Users/[user]/.config/Disc Image Manager/reg.xml

EDIT: Just looked and I do have some control over the dialogue boxes, by means of options. The option to allow resizing is ticked, so you should be able to resize it (albeit, on mine, I can make it wider but not narrower...which is odd).
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:56 am
lurkio wrote:
Just tried it and I couldn't replicate. I'll try a few more times.
It only happened once, and I couldn’t replicate it subsequently. Weird.

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:56 am
lurkio wrote:
the File Open dialog box is wider than the width of the screen! And I can't make it smaller!
EDIT: Just looked and I do have some control over the dialogue boxes, by means of options. The option to allow resizing is ticked, so you should be able to resize it (albeit, on mine, I can make it wider but not narrower...which is odd).
Same here. I think i accidentally double-clicked on the “title bar” (the top) area of the dialog box, which enlarged it massively (which is what that gesture would do to any dialog box or any window on macOS — i.e. maximise it) — but then I couldn’t shrink it back down! And then I must have ended up accidentally dragging a corner out till the width of the box exceeded that of the screen. I could probably make it even wider (not that I’d want to!) but I can’t seem to make it any smaller at all.

:idea:
TobyLobster

Post by TobyLobster »

I tried renaming an SSD (disc title) but the name change didn't take. I clicked on the 'Directory Title' field and could edit the name, but pressing RETURN didn't make the change. Am I doing it wrong?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

lurkio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:02 am
... the width of the [File Open dialog] box exceeded that of the screen. I could probably make it even wider (not that I’d want to!) but I can’t seem to make it any smaller at all.
Weirder and weirder. The only way I could get the width of the File Open dialog box down to a reasonable size (i.e. less than the width of the screen) was by entering the following command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults delete com.geraldholdsworth.Disc\ Image\ Manager NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForOpenMode
That seems to reset the size of the File Open dialog box to the default -- but it doesn't matter because every time I click the Open Existing Image button in DIM and the box pops up again, it gets slightly bigger! So, eventually, if you open enough files with the File Open dialog, the width of the box will again exceed the width of your screen! Argh!

EDIT: I've ended up having to hack the resources in the MacOS folder inside the "Disc Image Manager.app" package, as described here:

https://superuser.com/a/756866

I'm using this shell script, which replaces the Disc Image Manager binary, which I've renamed "DIM":

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
defaults write com.geraldholdsworth.Disc\ Image\ Manager NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForOpenMode -string '{500,400}'
exec "$(dirname "$0")/DIM"
That will resize the File Open dialog to 500x400 every time I launch the app, but it'll still get bigger every time I click the Open Existing Image button! But at least it'll be reset to 500x400 when I next close and relaunch Disc Image Manager.

Obviously this isn't an ideal solution..!

geraldholdsworth

TobyLobster wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 am
I tried renaming an SSD (disc title) but the name change didn't take. I clicked on the 'Directory Title' field and could edit the name, but pressing RETURN didn't make the change. Am I doing it wrong?
That changes the directory title. To change the disc title, click on the pie-chart button (with 75% in it) to open the disc details. The disc title is in here on the top right.
OK, so with DFS there is no difference between disc title and directory title, and I should make this change the disc title when a DFS image is open (or just remove the field from the window). The directory title is aimed mainly at ADFS (except for the '+' varieties).
geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Obviously this isn't an ideal solution..!
No, it isn't.

I'll have to dig around with the Lazarus documentation and/or forums and see if there is anything that can be changed/specified. I may even just create a blank project and play with the various options for this dialogue box.
TobyLobster

Post by TobyLobster »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:55 pm
That changes the directory title. To change the disc title, click on the pie-chart button (with 75% in it) to open the disc details. The disc title is in here on the top right.
Perhaps also the help text for the pie-chart button could say something like 'Display and Edit Disc Information' rather than 'Display the Free Space Map', since it does more than the free space map?
geraldholdsworth

TobyLobster wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Perhaps also the help text for the pie-chart button could say something like 'Display and Edit Disc Information' rather than 'Display the Free Space Map', since it does more than the free space map?
Not a bad idea. I'll get that updated.
geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Weirder and weirder. The only way I could get the width of the File Open dialog box down to a reasonable size (i.e. less than the width of the screen) was by entering the following command in Terminal:
You're not using Big Sur by any chance, are you?

There's a discussion about this exact problem in the Lazarus forums and it seems to be a bug in Lazarus which only affects applications running on Big Sur (apparently, even Lazarus's own File Open Dialogue box suffers from this). They have affected a fix, which is in the next version yet to be released, but it this is only working for some people, and not everyone.

I'm on Catalina, and I can't replicate the issue. :(
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:37 pm
You're not using Big Sur by any chance, are you?
Yes, I am!

:idea:

EDIT: As a workaround I wonder if it’s possible for your app to detect Big Sur and run the defaults delete shell command every time it needs to display the File Open dialog, just before displaying it? I’ve no idea if that would even work or if it would be worthwhile for you to spend time on (probably not!).

:?:
geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:38 pm
As a workaround I wonder if it’s possible for your app to detect Big Sur and run the defaults delete shell command every time it needs to display the File Open dialog, just before displaying it? I’ve no idea if that would even work or if it would be worthwhile for you to spend time on (probably not!).
Not sure how to detect OS version in run time (I can detect OS during compile time)...I'm sure there must be a way.

I'm tempted to install the next version's RC2. But I'm sure the full release shouldn't be too far away.
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

I was testing the disk image manager, with the disk image attached, I found that I could not open the directories. You get question marks instead of directories.

In adfs Explorer I can open the directories.
Acornsoft_Hits_1.zip
(68.05 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Using version 1.38, on Windows 10 64 bit.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”