Hello from Tamworth (UK)

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Spyder394

Hello from Tamworth (UK)

Post by Spyder394 »

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the BBC scene although I've been collecting equipment for awhile and visit the Retro show in Walsall when it's on, started playing with the BBC Model B over Christmas, to note last time I touched a BBC was at school, 34 years ago - I feel really old now :D.

I was given the BBC B (v7) by a friend of mine cleaning out his loft as I already had a couple of retro computers, also I have a small collection of consoles and a MiST with a number of different cores (must admit haven't used that much or often but plan to).

Over the Christmas period I've found time to add a few features to the Beeb, Data Centre, Gotek/1770 upgrade, Virtual ROM/RAM Board, as well as upgrades for an Atari STE (I've got 3 Atari STs) and an Amiga 1200 which are the main items in my collection, I've finally found some time to indulge myself, I've taken over the box room when my daughter moved out a few years back and converted it into an office/games room - think I was well ahead, or prepared, of the pandemic and lockdown!

I've had to learn everything from scratch for the BBC, loading SSD, DSD and Image files (I thought these where ROMS in an archived form originally) I'm currently trying to understand how to copy ROMS in and out of Sideways and Flash RAM then add my own on the virtual RAM/ROM board, it's been great fun so far and realitively easy to upgrade.

I have found 'Beebem' really good and ideal for practising on, I've built up a reasonable collection of software for the BBC as well as a few manuals in PDF form, pretty quickly, so plenty of light reading material :D

I've always been interested in computers and what they can do, worked with Virtual Reality for awhile, using it to simulate the fitting of car parts and after that doing CAE to test car parts (CAE didn't work out for me), I'm now doing something not very IT heavy but I actually enjoy it more - still to do with car parts though, with the added benefit I've found more time/head space to indulge in my hobby.

I've considered expanding my collection although I'd need to clean the loft out as there are a few items up there as well and without the Missus noticing.

Pleased to meet you all and look forward to learnign from you,

Stephen
BBC Model B,Data Centre,16 Ram Flash Rom EEPROM Board,1170 DFS with Gotek Drive,Atari 1040STFM,Atari STE with 4mb,TOS 1.64/2.06,Ultrasatan,NETUSBEE and Gotek drive,Amiga 1200,OS3.2,128GB SSD,Indivision AGA MK2,ACA1221ec Accelerator Card and Gotek drive
Multiwizard

Re: Hello from Tamworth (UK)

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Stephen,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
markusher

Post by markusher »

Welcome along, I am sure you will soon feel quite at home here.
-Mark
4 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, 3 Masters, BBC AIV Domesday System, EO1S & E20 Filestore, A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed...
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Stephen. :D

You managed to obtain a Datacentre - wow! They are as scarce as hens' teeth.

Expansion to your collection? With a Datacentre and an interest in using ROMs in SWR, a Master is a given; it works like magic with the Datacentre. Just think, add a dual CF-IDE interface card and you can have 4 x 500Mb hard drives in the Master. :wink:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
tricky

Post by tricky »

Hi and welcome, we may have met at Walsall, I will have been the one with all the beebs on display ;)
Spyder394

Post by Spyder394 »

tricky wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm
Hi and welcome, we may have met at Walsall, I will have been the one with all the beebs on display ;)
Your face does seem familair, must admit haven't been for 2 or 3 years for obvious reasons although this year I think the situation should be better :D
BBC Model B,Data Centre,16 Ram Flash Rom EEPROM Board,1170 DFS with Gotek Drive,Atari 1040STFM,Atari STE with 4mb,TOS 1.64/2.06,Ultrasatan,NETUSBEE and Gotek drive,Amiga 1200,OS3.2,128GB SSD,Indivision AGA MK2,ACA1221ec Accelerator Card and Gotek drive
Spyder394

Post by Spyder394 »

Multiwizard wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 am
Hi Stephen,

Thank you :D
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Stephen . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Spyder394

Post by Spyder394 »

Multiwizard wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 am
Hi Stephen,

Thank you
Spyder394

Post by Spyder394 »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm
Welcome to the Forum, Stephen . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Thank you

Return to “introduce yourself”