How to make CPM disks for Torch and Acorn Z80's?

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
shifters74

How to make CPM disks for Torch and Acorn Z80's?

Post by shifters74 »

Hi all,

If any knowledgeable person can tell me what tools they use to go about creating CPM disks for the Torch z80 and Acorn z80 co-pros i would be very grateful. I have searched but can't find any information but i know the CPM format is different to DFS/ADFS so was wondering how to create physical disks from .ssd or .dsd's?

Does any one know if the Acorn z80 disks are readable and executable by the Torch z80?

I have a gotek, MMFS SD Card and various 5.25" drives (but not a UPURS? cable)

Any ideas and advise would be most welcome.

thanks

Shifters
BeebMaster

Re: How to make CPM disks for Torch and Acorn Z80's?

Post by BeebMaster »

A long time ago a made a set of Acorn Z80 CP/M discs, I think I would have done it using the old FDC utility for DOS, or Omniflop.

It looks like they are "DFS" disc format, ie. 10 sectors per track, 256 bytes per sector, so it should be possible to write an image to disc using the DFS OSWORD call (&7F).

If I was doing it now, I would load the whole image into the Pi Tube ARM co-processor (from an accessible location, say Econet) and then write it to disc with a loop using the *SECTORS command in the ADT ROM.

JGH has various tools to make images from discs, and vice versa:

https://mdfs.net/Apps/DiskTools/

It might not be necessary to do anything if the Z80 second processor understands a Gotek - what happens if you put the disc images on there, renaming them to a .ssd or .dsd suffix if needed?
RobC

Post by RobC »

If you are just looking to use the existing system disks to boot into CP/M or CP/N, I think you can just copy the disk images to the Gotek's USB stick and they should just work. (This definitely works for the Torch as it's how I got the software installed on my Unicorn.)

If you're looking to copy files into disk images, you can transfer files between the DFS and the Torch CPN disks by using the RWACORN command. This can be found on the Torch system disk here. I believe there is an equivalent called "DIP" on the Acorn Z80 but I've never used it.

There's also JGH's CPMFiler.
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

That's great thanks guys!

I shall have a play!

cheers

shifters
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

BeebMaster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:12 pm
It might not be necessary to do anything if the Z80 second processor understands a Gotek - what happens if you put the disc images on there, renaming them to a .ssd or .dsd suffix if needed?
The PiTube z80 will boot CPM from gotek no problem.

I have a new z80 cheese wedge coming so I shall have a test and report back!

I am trying to produce a new set of 5.25" disks for them from the images on the gotek so i can boot CPM old fashioned style!

I will give JGH's tools a whirl!

shifters
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

The Acorn z80 cheese wedge will indeed boot directly off a gotek with CPM disk 1 mounted on it (a .DSD).

Using BACKUP from JGH's site i have successfully created a set of 7 master CPM disks!

Thanks all for your advice!

shifters

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”