The Music System By Island Logic

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
Post Reply
User avatar
vanekp
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:09 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

The Music System By Island Logic

Post by vanekp »

UEF of :- The Music System By Island Logic made some years ago from the original tapes (note it will not load in b-em v2.2 or BeebEm v4.14) made for acornpreservation.org site (now gone) therefor I will also attach the unprotected version for those that do want to play with it.
Attachments
The Music System Tape Unprotected.zip
only side one of the tapes
(75.11 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
The Music System Tape 1&2 Side1&2.zip
origonal image of tapes 1&2 sides 1&2
(92.23 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 4047
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by lurkio »

Excellent. Thank you.

=D>
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

Here's another deprotected disc version that's a little different from the others available elsewhere. It includes TMS Utilities!

Also attached Song Libraries 3-6, these are clean backups from originals. I also had 1 & 2 but the disc has just failed so no more :(
Attachments
TMS_SongLib6.zip
Song Library 6: Old Favourites
(15.33 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
TMS_SongLib5.zip
Song Library 5: Ian Waugh Originals
(16.73 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
TMS_SongLib4.zip
Song Library 4: Mainly Bach
(21.82 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
TMS_SongLib3.zip
Song Library 3: 400 Years of Music
(14.99 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
TMS.zip
The Music System & TMS Utilities
(63.34 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

Ooo, I have that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaJ4NMstcw

..But no way to get them on disk image, so thanks a very great deal. Tell me, do these load from Turbo MMC? Other copies I found didn't and to find out myself, I'll need to reseat my chip first.

Thanks for all this!
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

Commie_User wrote:Tell me, do these load from Turbo MMC?
Extremely unlikely, this version is over 30 years old!
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

Does anyone have the Song Library 2 and TMS Utilities that can post clean SSD's of them? The copies of these elsewhere don't look 100%.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

I don't but I can say this doesn't work on the Turbo MMC either. As someone said before, it will crash because the MMC isn't an exact disk drive emulation, or something. Just so we know. (There really ought to be an Action Replay for the Beeb. Anyone could do a rip with that, even doing a save state.)

I can only suggest you keep an eye on Ebay.
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

Commie_User wrote:There really ought to be an Action Replay for the Beeb
There is, and I have one fitted. You'd need to create a save state for each module though, and it will only work with the Action Replay that dumped it to avoid piracy.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

Can I see it? I've NEVER heard of that before, nor have others when I asked them.

Whoa!
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

Commie_User wrote:Can I see it? I've NEVER heard of that before, nor have others when I asked them.
There's not much to see, it's a ROM on a board with a button to attach somewhere on the back on the Beeb. See documentation here.
Search Google Images for 'Vine Micros Replay' for pictures.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
User avatar
billcarr2005
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by billcarr2005 »

I'd imaged the 1986 release of The Music System which has only the sector ID +&80 as disk copy protection. This can be modified within boot to 0 instead of &80 and then all the programs load from the disk using osword &7f

It's also not got the IC69 error in BeebEM.

I've not looked at how easy it would be to save off the programs, I suppose if a dummy file was created in the catalogue then the remainder of the disk could be used, but since there's not really so much free space extending to be 80 track would be more useful!

Code: Select all

Track 00 Sector 2 to Track 00 Sector 3 boot
Track 00 Sector 4                      !BOOT
Track 00 Sector 5 to Track 02 Sector 9 Empty
Track 03 Sector 0 to Track 26 Sector 9 Programs
Track 27 Sector 0 to Track 27 Sector 9 Empty
Attachments
THE MUSIC SYSTEM (1986 RELEASE).zip
The Music System (1986 Release)
(51.09 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

Whoa. But, no.

DSC00094.JPG

Nice try but still no cigar, it would appear. Thanks all the same, if you did it for me.
User avatar
billcarr2005
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by billcarr2005 »

I'm presuming it was tripping up with trying to OSCLI "RUN :0.$.BOOT" within the program which displays the MODE7 title screen, so i've changed it to "RUN BOOT". I've gone through the disk image and removed any other reference to ":0.$." too :)

It's possible that the other disk images were failing for the same reason :?
Attachments
THE MUSIC SYSTEM (1986 RELEASE).zip
The Music System (1986 Release)
(51.09 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

So what's the difference between the original and 1986 releases? Is it just simplified protection to work with 1770 on B+/Master? Can you scan the disc label?

Going back to your FSD's of the original version there are 3 discs (1A, 1B, 1C), why? I always thought the program was 1 disc only.

So you don't have Song Library 2 or TMS Utilities?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

billcarr2005 wrote:
It's possible that the other disk images were failing for the same reason :?

Same thing, I'm afraid. Still on the launch pad. The irony is I have a disk drive and proper copy of my own. Just too many teething troubles getting the hardware back going of late.
User avatar
vanekp
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:09 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by vanekp »

The Action replay by Vine Micro works very well use to have one when I owned a BBC I had modded the code in the ROM so it did not EOR all the data and that way I could use the discs on and machine and also look at the data on the disc as it was not encrypted :wink:
Commie_User
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Commie_User »

Hmm. I suspect that was a sop to the hysteria you had even then about backup systems. Though in fairness, copy devices were used a lot for swapsies between friends on a schoolboy's allowance.

To my recollection, 321 Studios were the last to try conventional retail sale for their DVD X Copy. It watermarked and compressed a DVD video backup and wouldn't let them be copied again, in 321's drive to placate the conglomorates with what was always clearly a backup device. They were sued out of existence anyway, by which time freebie applets and torrents flooded the market - just in time for everyone to be on broadband and have ubiquitous DVD copiers! Bad luck BMG!

My own copies of X Copy may be quite the curio one day, especially as they won't work with 321's servers dead. I also have magazines called The Complete Software Reference, jammed with illicit software and topless ladies, which mysteriously vanished from newsagents' shelves after just a few issues. This was around just after the Millennium, too.


Anyway, back to topic.....
User avatar
billcarr2005
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by billcarr2005 »

Pernod wrote:So what's the difference between the original and 1986 releases? Is it just simplified protection to work with 1770 on B+/Master? Can you scan the disc label?

Going back to your FSD's of the original version there are 3 discs (1A, 1B, 1C), why? I always thought the program was 1 disc only.

So you don't have Song Library 2 or TMS Utilities?
As you say, i think it's just simplified to work on later BBC models. I think the disk looks the same, it's the case that looks different. Will have a check later.

The discs labelled 1A, 1B and 1C are all disc 1 of the program, but they're all different. In what way, i'm not sure, they all appear the same... but the disk images contains differing data.

I found Song Library 3 within one TMS case I had close at hand, not found any others within TMS. :(
TMS1986BOX.jpg
TMS1986DISK.jpg
User avatar
scarybeasts
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by scarybeasts »

Hi,

Thanks to an anonymous friend, Song Library 2 has showed up. It's attached.

I can't quite tell from the thread whether we have "Sound and Song Library" or not. I'm also not sure whether that's synonymous with "Song Library 1". Anyway, it's attached just in case. Note that this particular disc is not quite original -- it's the result of running the 40T-to-80T expansion utility on the original disc.

The Music System (BBC 40T Song Library 2) (Media).jpg
The Music System (BBC 80T Sound And Song Library) (Media).jpg

Cheers
Chris
Attachments
The_Music_System_Song_Library_2_D1S1_40T_HG3_A5538E68_1.hfe.ssd.zip
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
The_Music_System_Sound_and_Song_Library_D1DS_80T_HG3_7B94B058_EF63B8D2_1.hfe.dsd.zip
(20.02 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
User avatar
pixelblip
Posts: 3419
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by pixelblip »

Greattt!
User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by Pernod »

scarybeasts wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:22 am
Thanks to an anonymous friend, Song Library 2 has showed up. It's attached.

I can't quite tell from the thread whether we have "Sound and Song Library" or not. I'm also not sure whether that's synonymous with "Song Library 1". Anyway, it's attached just in case. Note that this particular disc is not quite original -- it's the result of running the 40T-to-80T expansion utility on the original disc.
Thanks for those =D>
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
sabrodigan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:32 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by sabrodigan »

I have the original Island logic 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drive version of the music system with the manual and the function key map with the Memorex floppy disks and I wanted to take a backup of them to 3 1/2 inch or even to SSD but unfortunately no matter what I do that the discs will just not read so I turned to you guys and I found that you posted the files and I’m hoping above all hope that I can recreate the two floppy disks from what you guys have posted and then remind myself Of the first time I ever tried music on the computer God I love the BBC micro computer so much
User avatar
vanekp
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:09 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by vanekp »

if you use the hfe images for the disc's and the DiscBeast program it should be possible to write them back to real floppys.
Update...
Attached is a discbeast image disc (with discbeast on it) ready to write back to a floppy disc.
i put it on a USB which i then access on the BBC using a gotek drive, which I have connected as drive1 and the real floppy drive as drive 0
and then the following commands :-
*DR.1
*E.!BOOT
when discbeast has started up
then type:-
INIT 0
HFEP 0 40
this will then write the image files back from drive 1 to the disc in drive 0
Attachments
IMSimage.dsd
(367.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Regards Peter.
sabrodigan
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:32 am
Contact:

Re: The Music System By Island Logic

Post by sabrodigan »

Peter, thank you….going to try and do this today!
Post Reply

Return to “archive submissions”