High Score Challenge Season 17 - Rd 04 - Phoenix

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Venger

Re: High Score Challenge Season 17 - Rd 04 - Phoenix

Post by Venger »

Rod C wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 pm
Thanks for checking this out further, Venger. Too bad about the remaining problems. :(

Good idea to start a different game. Hopefully Phoenix will rise again one day!

PHoenix.PNG
No worries, Rod :) . It's a shame as it's an otherwise very good conversion and really playable. I enjoy playing the really old shooters that came just after Space Invaders, such as this, Galaxians (Arcadians), Galaga (Zalaga), Pleiades (I don't ever remember this being converted to the Beeb or Elk), etc.

Never mind, there's always a ton of other games out there to play :) .
Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:08 pm
The task is complete, tomorrow morning a new challenge. It was one of mine, sorry about that and in a very different vein, also not nearly as nice as the graphics that Tricky does. You will see what I mean, nevertheless, I believe it to be a very playable game and truly 8-bit in style and feel and look.
Ed, having played the game once, yes, I do see what you mean... :lol:

Still, at least we only have a week and a bit to go :lol: :lol: :lol:
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm really sorry guys, I've been busy and not well and didn't notice you were having issues.
I thought that the latest version was in the thread, but I'll check again.
I'll also post a full set of my ports and clones as I think that nearly all may be out of date on BBCmicro. They should all be up to date on my menu system.
tricky

Post by tricky »

If anyone has any videos of any crashes with the Siren version, please post links as it will hopefully help me debug further.
Venger

Post by Venger »

tricky wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 pm
If anyone has any videos of any crashes with the Siren version, please post links as it will hopefully help me debug further.
I'll do a video later tonight on the "Siren" version and post a link to it.
Venger

Post by Venger »

tricky wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm
You could also try the one in: viewtopic.php?p=346378#p346378
I'll try that version later. In the meantime, here are some of the bugs in the "Siren" version:

https://youtu.be/mppQ6DNc3Pw

I didn't manage to replicate the white screen one but the prematurely exploding mothership is on there, and the one where bits of sprite have been left on the screen. There's also a bit where lasers rain down from the top of the screen and there's no spaceship there.
Venger

Post by Venger »

Venger wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:57 pm
tricky wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm
You could also try the one in: viewtopic.php?p=346378#p346378
I'll try that version later. In the meantime, here are some of the bugs in the "Siren" version:

https://youtu.be/mppQ6DNc3Pw

I didn't manage to replicate the white screen one but the prematurely exploding mothership is on there, and the one where bits of sprite have been left on the screen. There's also a bit where lasers rain down from the top of the screen and there's no spaceship there.
There are still glitches in the new version that you posted today. The mothership glitch is still there and I died for no reason at around the 9 minute and 4 second mark :( . There's also a new glitch around the 3 minute and 20 second mark where bits of the spaceship regenerate after having been destroyed.

Here's the link to the video of the new version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smXY7VTesHc
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks, I thought that that last one might still exist, although I did fix one of the causes!
I need to rewrite the whole thing, but just can't face it.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks very much for the video.

I see the bottom of the shield graphic being left on screen when the mother ship is coming down, I don't know why I haven't seen this, but I suspect it is to do with being char row aligned.

The bit of the mothership that gets partially destroyed and then restores itself is caused by hitting the edge of the ship and bird on the same frame, but I haven't managed to capture it to debug - I've only done it once and wasn't sure which version I was running!

The bit where the shield stops scrolling is completely new to me!

The dying for no reason is I think an invisible pair of "bird bombs", they are EORed on/off, so it two are in the same place they are invisible. I added code to stop this from happening, but may not have checked the diving birds - this might be an easy fix - have you ever seen it on the first two or last levels?

I only have a handful of byte available, so may only be able to fix the invisible shots if I can just add a JSR.

One other change I might be able to make is to reduce the difficulty if you die, rather than increasing it! This will hopefully cost 3 bytes.

I don't know if the others are fatal, but I appreciate that they do certainly make the game much less enjoyable!
Venger

Post by Venger »

tricky wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 pm

The dying for no reason is I think an invisible pair of "bird bombs", they are EORed on/off, so it two are in the same place they are invisible. I added code to stop this from happening, but may not have checked the diving birds - this might be an easy fix - have you ever seen it on the first two or last levels?
I don't think I've seen it on the other three levels but I haven't played it a hell of a lot. I've probably had around 10 goes in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think that I have a fix for it in the latest version in the Phoenix thread: viewtopic.php?p=346511#p346511 but as I've said before, the whole game needs rewriting really but I just haven't got the motivation to do it. :oops:

PS It is my only game with flicker, which I sort of justify by noting that the original arcade game was full of flicker! :shock:

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”