Run Xenon2 (original disks) from HD?

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
brixomatic

Run Xenon2 (original disks) from HD?

Post by brixomatic »

Hi,

I have an A3010 with ZIDEFS podule and quite some games that I've tried run fine from HD.
I have downloaded and installed ADFFS to run some .jfd images and that works. So far, so good.
Xenon 2 does not seem to be among the freely available games on JASPP.org, at least I haven't found it.

So I recently purchased an original of Xenon 2. The disks work just fine.

However, the usual method of copying the game from Floppy to HD does not seem to work for Xenon 2 and there are no instructions for installing it to HD either.
Copying both disk contents to the HD will result in the game being stuck in the first graphics-display, not moving anything and not bringing up the "Insert Disk 2" image that I get running it from the real disk. Smells like copy protection or user failure.
I tried both copying the disk 2 app next to the disk 1 files, and I've tried opening the disk 1 file with shift-click and copying the disc 2 contents in there (overrides the !run and !boot files and makes the app not start), I've tried opening the disk 1 file with shift-click and copying the disc 2 contents that don't clash with the Disk 1 content and that also didn't work.

Searching the forum I found this thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16799&p=232478&hilit=xenon#p232478 talking about some CD that I don't have.
I have found the mentioned F1039601 Obey file in my ADFFS installation, copied it to a fresh directory in my HD (ZIDEFS::Games.$.Games.Xenon2.F1039601) and tried to figure out what to do next, but I'm kind of stuck on how to continue.

I have brought up the ADFFS menu to "image as a JFD" file, and apart from some empty drop downs to select the number of disks in a collection and trying to drag the files from the Floppy onto a "Drag data here" icon, which did not seem to read anything from disk, I have stopped there to not risk overwriting anything on my original disk.

I've then found the help file from ADFFS and read some instructions on how to image a disk to .jfd in the ADFFS help, and it seems to be rather complicated, but before I continue trying that, as there is already a boot script, it seems as if there is already something out there that I could use or if there's as simpler method.
I'm fairly new to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance.

Has anyone already done this and could explain to me, as if I were a total n00b, how I can make my original Xenon 2 copy work from HD or is there a download that I could use?
steve3000

Re: Run Xenon2 (original disks) from HD?

Post by steve3000 »

I’m biased but you could try the Acorn User release from the January 1997 cover disc. It had a number of bug fixes and all protection was removed so it can run straight from a HDD.

The cover disc is available on the AU CD3 iso. I’ve not actually tried this, because I’m away from my computer this week, but this link should allow you to download the Xenon2 ArcFS archive straight out of the iso.
brixomatic

Post by brixomatic »

Hi Steve,
first thanks for taking your time answering my post.
I have just tested the download you provided and that game runs from HD.
Unfortunately, it does not work with a Joystick on my A3010, like my original does.
It won't react pressing the fire button and I don't get the "Joystick/Keyboard" option either, if I continue with the Enter key.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I've not tested Steve's patched version for Joystick support, but my guess is you might need to load an appropriate Joystick Module before running the game. If its not in the archive, see if its on the original floppies.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”