ADFFS 2.80 released

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
sirbod

ADFFS 2.80 released

Post by sirbod »

ADFFS 2.80 is now available for download.

2.80 is a major update mainly aimed at RISC OS 5 machines. Dozens of game bugfixes have been added to the game boot scripts and where possible these will patch the games down to RISC OS 3.x. The JFD imager requires a substantially reduced memory footprint (900KB less) when imaging DD floppies and SparkFS is no longer required using the internal ADFFS ZIP extractor instead, freeing up further memory.

For RISC OS 3.5+ machines using PackMan, ADFFS will auto-update.
For RISC OS 3.1x machines that aren't networked, there's a lite version (420K ZIP) which doesn't include support for later OS versions or JFD imaging.
iomanoid

Re: ADFFS 2.80 released

Post by iomanoid »

Will the non-lite version image JFDs on RISC OS 3 machines with 2 or 4mb?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

It requires 1056K to image a DD as a JFD.

ZLib requires some free memory to compress, so as long as there's free memory after the imager has started reading the disc, it should be possible to image on a 2MB machine.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I have just had a quick play with the latest features of ADFFS 2.80 (and 2.70 for comparison) in relation to JFD imaging. The new GUI interface looks great, but on both of my RO3.1 machines it seems to behave oddly:

- When I click on the drop down menu icon to display the game titles, the menu appears but it is very narrow (about 1 character) so you can't read anything. It is possible to blindly make selections though.
- When clicking cancel on the window, it throws up an address exception.

I have noticed something else strange which I assumed was a feature until I saw it only happens on my A420/1, not on my A3000. When loading ADFFS, the screen momentarily breaks up and "rolls" before reverting to normal. It does this repeatedly, which is why I assumed it was a feature although I'm not at all sure why it would be happening. On the A3000 it doesn't do that at all.

Is this something wrong at my end?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

jms2 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:51 am
- When I click on the drop down menu icon to display the game titles, the menu appears but it is very narrow (about 1 character) so you can't read anything. It is possible to blindly make selections though.
That's fixed in 2.81. It was meant to make it into 2.80 but didn't. I'll post a public beta of 2.81 very soon, so keep an eye on the ADFFS development forum.
jms2 wrote:
- When clicking cancel on the window, it throws up an address exception.
I'm not sure what's causing that Address Exception. It's within WindowManager (aka the Wimp Module), but as far as I can tell it's after the game has issued Wimp_CloseDown so possibly a bug in WindowManager? I've only seen it occur on WindowManager 3.16 and have not managed to figure out a Repro to reliable reproduce it.

There's another bug when you quit, where it still attempts to run the disk imager even though you quit. I'll get that fixed for 2.81
jms2 wrote:
When loading ADFFS, the screen momentarily breaks up and "rolls" before reverting to normal.
ADFFS loads AutoVIDC and LCDGameModes on A-series. What you're seeing is the sync rate changing when one of them alters the VIDC parameters.

What is your MonitorType? LCDGameModes only kicks in for MonitorType 3/4 and AutoVIDC (I believe) only kicks in if you have a VIDC Enhancer fitted or the machine supports multiple video clock sources.

You can confirm which is causing it by changing the Set ADFFS$LCDGM Y line in !ADFFS.!Boot to prevent LCDGameModes loading or the Set ADFFS$AutoVIDC Y line in !ADFFS.!Run for AutoVIDC.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Thanks for getting back to me about this Jon, I was a bit perplexed about what I was seeing and (as is often the case) I suspected it might be something wrong with my machines rather than an actual bug!
sirbod wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:13 am
That's fixed in 2.81.
Great. I have never previously used the GUI for recording so I was keen to give it a try.
I'm not sure what's causing that Address Exception. It's within WindowManager (aka the Wimp Module), but as far as I can tell it's after the game has issued Wimp_CloseDown so possibly a bug in WindowManager? I've only seen it occur on WindowManager 3.16 and have not managed to figure out a Repro to reliable reproduce it.
There's another bug when you quit, where it still attempts to run the disk imager even though you quit. I'll get that fixed for 2.81
I'm not 100% certain which version of WindowManager I have: I assume its just the standard one in ROM but possibly something is being softloaded. I'll check.
ADFFS loads AutoVIDC and LCDGameModes on A-series. What you're seeing is the sync rate changing when one of them alters the VIDC parameters.
Aha... the A420 has a VIDC enhancer, so that'll be it. I only discovered this recently when looking inside the machine. I'm using a 15kHz monitor (type 0 I think) - so I don't think the VIDC enhancer actually performs any useful purpose, but now that I know what causes the screen rolling on one machine but not the other, I'm happy!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

It's just WindowManager 3.16.

The actual error sequence on pressing Cancel is:

"Unknown Operand"

then

"Internal error: Address Exception at &03870D44".
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

jms2 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:22 pm
I suspected it might be something wrong with my machines rather than an actual bug!
Report any issues with ADFFS, even if you're in doubt as I'd rather get a report and it turn out to be machine specific than miss potential issues. Bare in mind that ADFFS covers a wide variety of hardware and some 300 games, so it's impossible to test every combination during development testing.
jms2 wrote:
Aha... the A420 has a VIDC enhancer, so that'll be it.
The mode your desktop is in will be one AutoVIDC provides at a different frequency. I'll take a look at what the code is doing as ideally it should wait until flyback before changing the VIDC registers to avoid sync issues.
jms2 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:11 pm
The actual error sequence on pressing Cancel is:

"Unknown Operand"

then

"Internal error: Address Exception at &03870D44".
Thanks for that repro info. The "Unknown Operand" is where it tries to run the floppy imager program after quitting the disk selection program, so the problem should be avoided in 2.81. I will however take a look at where the first error occurs as it's clearly the catalyst for the Wimp aborting and might indicate a potential issue in the disk imager error handling.

EDIT: "Unknown Operand" occurs in the launching Obey file. The Wimp then randomly reports an Address Exception when Obey returns back to the Wimp, so almost certainly a bug in the OS.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

jms2 wrote:
sirbod wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:13 am
Aha... the A420 has a VIDC enhancer, so that'll be it. I only discovered this recently when looking inside the machine. I'm using a 15kHz monitor (type 0 I think) - so I don't think the VIDC enhancer actually performs any useful purpose, but now that I know what causes the screen rolling on one machine but not the other, I'm happy!
AutoVIDC's detection code to determine whether a VIDC enhancer is fitted takes several VSync's to complete, as the various clock speeds are tested. Usually the screen just blanks for this period, but some monitors take a second or so to re-lock to the sync after detection completes - I suspect this is what you're seeing.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

That's exactly what it resembles! This is an old AKF11 (or is it 12?) monitor.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”