what should i write next?

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
Grasshopper

Re: what should i write next?

Post by Grasshopper »

Have you considered writing an AGD engine for the BBC Micro? That would potentially give BBC owners access to hundreds of new games, many of which are very good.

I've been impressed with how well most of the AGD games run on the Atom.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I did, but wasn't keen on the language.
KieranHJ did ported most of it to the beeb and then Kees oss003 finished it off and has been making improvements as well as porting games.
To get the most out of the BBC I find that I end up with several different sprite routines in each game and that they also change from game to game. AGD I think still uses a single routine and also only allows character based positioning which means many copies of the graphics are required - not great for the beeb.
Some games work really well and there is a reasonable variety. I don't think any of my games could be anything like they are using AGD, but I would love to be proved wrong.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

tricky wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm
KieranHJ did ported most of it to the beeb and then Kees oss003 finished it off and has been making improvements as well as porting games.
Interesting. I've played some of the AGD games that have been ported to the Atom, and generally been quite impressed by them. But I wasn't even aware that anyone had ported some of the games to the BBC. Are any of them available to download?
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Are any of them available to download?
The BBC port is included in MPAGD v0.7.10.

https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/mult ... e-designer

You can import Spectrum tapes or snapshots, select the BBC as machine and compile the game.

BTW ... the BBC version is still lacking sound ..
Kieran also wrote a Mode1 version which converts Spectrum games into 4-dithered colours and can run small games in colour.

Greetings
Kees
Attachments
baldy.ssd
(23 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
foggy.ssd
(27.75 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

oss003 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:52 pm
Are any of them available to download?
The BBC port is included in MPAGD v0.7.10.

https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/mult ... e-designer

You can import Spectrum tapes or snapshots, select the BBC as machine and compile the game.

BTW ... the BBC version is still lacking sound ..
Kieran also wrote a Mode1 version which converts Spectrum games into 4-dithered colours and can run small games in colour.

Greetings
Kees
Thanks. I'll check them out.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I finally felt well enough to run the code that I wrote over a month ago!
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 813 times
No promises as the HW can draw pixels about 20X faster than a fast SW version, so it might mean replacing lots of code to make it playable - I won't know for a while!
The arcade version is four colour for most of the screen, but it uses eight for the ground area including using the extra bits to remember the ground as well as showing different colours and flashing.
This is as far as it gets without crashing, but as none of its hardware is working and I have only done a basic work-a-round for interrupts, it's surprising it gets this far!
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

tricky wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:26 am
I finally felt well enough to run the code that I wrote over a month ago!
screenshot1.png
No promises as the HW can draw pixels about 20X faster than a fast SW version, so it might mean replacing lots of code to make it playable - I won't know for a while!
The arcade version is four colour for most of the screen, but it uses eight for the ground area including using the extra bits to remember the ground as well as showing different colours and flashing.
This is as far as it gets without crashing, but as none of its hardware is working and I have only done a basic work-a-round for interrupts, it's surprising it gets this far!
Tricky are you using the resource from https://6502disassembly.com/va-missile-command
It looks as if you've solved the problem with glyph printing, which it uses quite a lot, is that quite slow on the beeb?
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think that is the one that I converted.
Any pixel plotting or clearing is very slow compared to the arcade, but there aren't that many pixels plotted on most frames.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

ive been tempted to write a version of space firebird for the beeb but youre welcome to do it first :wink:

spin on to 9 mins 45 for game play
Image Image Image Image
tricky

Post by tricky »

I played it a few times back in the day, but have no plans for it.
I'm currently still thinking of missile command, at least when I feel better. After that, I'm tempted to port a c64 per of an arcade game!
And then I have plenty of unfinished projects!
tricky

Post by tricky »

PS It would be great to see another Beeb title given some love-bug :)
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

my life has taken a turn for the worst, my repair business has failed and ive lost my house and girlfriend so right now im struggling but when im back on my feet i'll write some more games

i still have joystick support to write for ladybug and an improved keyboard input to finish too !
Image Image Image Image
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

That is all very sad to hear. I hope you get back on your feet soon.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm really sorry to hear that, repair of nearly anything nowadays must be very tough!

I was thinking that Mr Do's Castle would be a good one for the care and attention that you put into a port.

I was thinking of doing it bitd using MODE 2 and palette tricks to do the moving behind/in front of things, but never go around to it.
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

Sorry to hear that, lovebug. Hope you all the best for next job.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

lovebug wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 pm
my life has taken a turn for the worst, my repair business has failed and ive lost my house and girlfriend so right now im struggling but when im back on my feet i'll write some more games

i still have joystick support to write for ladybug and an improved keyboard input to finish too !
Sorry to have completely missed this. Sending you best wishes. Hope things have improved for you during this time.
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
www.sassquad.net

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”