Tim Hartnell bibliography

request software or documentation that you can't find online
joachim

Tim Hartnell bibliography

Post by joachim »

Tim Hartnell wrote/edited a *lot* of books of listings around the 1984–6 period. There are 50 or so titles out there: now a lot of these were obvious republications of approximately the same material for different machines, or just different editions of the same book, so I've been trying to compare contents pages to find out how many different books of material there really were.

Even restricting to programs that were published as BBC-compatible (that is, BBC Micro books plus "generic BASIC" books), it's moderately confusing.

After a little searching, I've come up with seven more or less different books. Six of them are available as full text from the usual internet sources, most conveniently from a Tim Hartnell collection that someone quite recently uploaded to archive.org.

The seventh, The Big Fat Book Of Computer Games, seems very hard to find. My best sources are its contents listing at openlibrary.org (click 'read more' to see the contents), and the programs from the C64 edition at gb64.com (scroll down to "Big Fat Book of Commodore 64 Games").

So, does anyone have an idea where either the text or the programs from BFBOCG could be obtained?

Generic books of listings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Giant Book Of Computer Games (aka Das Große Buch der Computer-Spiele): MISTRESS OF XENOPHOBIA, RURAL PURSUITS, AVALANCHE, CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD, CHEMIN DE COMPUTER, MALIBU, SEVEN/ELEVEN, NO SWEAT, ONE-AND-TWENTY, SNAKE'S EYES, UNDER 'N' OVER, ELIZA, ELECTRONIC BRAIN, PROBOSCIDEAN, AMANUENSIS, INNER SPRING, NIMGRAB, TUTANKHAMEN'S TOMB, ROULETTE, FOLLOW THE LEADER, MADAME ZARA READS THE CARDS, CADDY, CAVALCADE OF PUZZLES, ROBOT MINEFIELD, NOUGHTS AND CROSSES, LAS VEGAS HIGH, CELESTIA, BILLBOARD, MOONLANDER I and II, HYPERWAR, FASTERMIND, IDAHO STARS, IDAHO SQUARES, EXECUTIONER, CUBIST, MUMBLE MARBLE, CYCLOTRON, SWITCHEROO, FLIPPER, SEARCHING FOR DARYL

Tim Hartnell's Second Giant Book Of Computer Games: THE BIG MAZE, CAVALIER 'CHUTE, JUMPING FALLOUT, RETRO-ACTION, HUTTRACER, ENGULF, MINE-SWEEPER, CAR THIRTEEN, BULLS-EYE, DANIEL MORGAN'S MILITIA, TAXI!!, GHOSTHUNTER, GOTHAM RUNNER, ORBITAL PILOT, IT'S A MAD, MAD WORLD, OFF THE WALL ADVENTURE, THE CELTIC TAROT, THE BOOK OF CHANGES, GOLDEN DAYS-BIORHYTHMS, YEAR OF THE MONKEY, THE KENTUCKY DERBY, HOME RUN!, JUDO, BOXING, AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL, GOLF, CRICKET, ORTMAN THE MIND-READER, CARTE DE GUET, RHABDOMANCY, THE CREATIVE PROCESS, CITIGRAMS, RECEDIVI, THE POLYBIUS CIPHER, THE PATENTED LIMERICK MACHINE, ROMINOES, HEADACHES, STORY BOARD, BETTY BIG-BRAIN, THE WORD-SQUARE ENGINE, OLIVER RAND, FROSTVIKEN, THE MAYOR OF MINNEAPOLIS, BIG JOE'S SPACE RIG, THE CRUSADES, SHEEP STATION, THE OVAL OFFICE, GRAND PRIX, ASTEROID MINE, COCHABAMBA, ROMAN EMPIRE

The Big Fat Book Of Computer Games: Alien Attack, Starbase 2000, Quest for Riemannian, Tryst with Mephistopheles, Magician's Maze, First Bull Run, Gettysburg Dice, Sea Wolf, Klondike Bill, Bunco, Secret Agent, Marran Race, Halving the Ton, Cube of Eleusis, 3D Tic Tac Toe, Big Blue Elephants, Alphabetica, Detective Q, The Voyages of Magellan, Foreign Exchange, The Ore-Seekers, Wall Street Trader, The Corporation, Colony Aquatine, Squisher and Squasher, Power Play, Chop and Change, Reflex Bowling Alley, Telepathy Tester, Go Fish, Four Square, Monster War, Scat Bikes, Heyday Seven

Tutorial books
~~~~~~~~~~~

Creating Adventure Games On Your Computer: Aftermath of the Asimovean Disaster, Citadel of Pershu, Chateau Gaillard

Creating Simulation Games On Your Computer (US) / Replicating Reality (UK): Robot Logo, Stock Market, Detroit City, Gridiron, Tennis, Grand Prix, Flight Simulator

BBC Micro-specific books of listings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giant Book Of Games For Your BBC Micro (repeats quite a few games from Giant Book of Computer Games): Cosmic Invaders, Cosmos, Meteroids, Light Cycles, Ghost Lane, Bomb Raid, Zombie, Two-Wall Smash, Sharp Shooter, Racer, Ski Run, Eliza, Animal, Minefield, Saucer Encounter, Eliminate, Dropout, Pursuit, Sea Sub, V-Wing Attack, Woodworm, Rat Catch, Airshow, Letter Chaser, Nine by Eight, Mandala, Four Up, The Bannochbum Legacy, 3-D Maze/Lodestar, Orpheus in the Underground, Nuclear Fallout, Simple Simon, Mastercode, Barrage, Hangman, Solitaire Maze, Pontoon, Play Your Cards Right

Games BBC Computers Play: THE CRYPT OF GABON, CHECKERS, SQUASH, BREAKOUT, 3-D MAZE, CHEMIN DE FER, A DAY AT THE RACES,WIZARD WIZ, SPACE TREK, BIRD CAGE, FAIRWAY, ENCHANTED FOREST, SINGING THE INTERPLANETARY MINER BLUES, TIME GUARDIAN, CUBIK, THE INVADER FROM EPSILON VIII, TOURIST TRAP, DOGFIGHT, SKI RUN, MOONLANDER, BIORHYTHMS, BOMBRUN, MINIVADERS, DODGEMS, COVER-UP, ZOMBIE ISLAND, PONTOON, ZAP, JOCKEY, ALONG THE WIRE, SURROUND, WALL STREET, LE MANS, KNIGHTSBRIDGE, DEATHMAZE
BigEd

Re: Tim Hartnell bibliography

Post by BigEd »

I found nothing, but I see it was translated into Spanish:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110915032 ... id=2001229
El Superlibro de los Juegos para Ordenador
Translated into Spanish in 1986, on ISBN 84-7614-076-2
http://www.libreriatagoror.com/libro/su ... -el_240404

(I do see there's a copy at the National Library of NZ, but then there's also a copy at the British Library in London - you can pop in and photograph it, but you will have agreed not to be naughty about copyright.)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Oh, I see the translation has been scanned:
https://archive.org/details/el-superlib ... rtnellacme
and the listings seem to be in a bland universal Basic dialect. But note that instructions, variable names and comments are now in Spanish.
joachim

Post by joachim »

Thanks! That's just the sort of thing I was hoping for. I suppose I missed it in my searches because it doesn't have Hartnell listed as the author.

Of course it would be ideal to have these listings typed in and available somewhere, but I suppose there's a backlog of hundreds if not thousands of type-ins of which that could be said. I should probably do it myself.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

There are certainly people here collecting and republishing type-ins. With luck, there won't be much to do in this case, as the Internet Archive has fairly good OCR - you can copy and paste from the PDF, for example, and tidy up any errors. (Well, except that it would be nice to convert the Spanish back to English, which is quite a bit of work.)

We might get 34 new (previously missing) programs out of it!

Edit: oh! I notice this scan was only added to the archive a couple of days ago! Can that be a coincidence??
leenew

Post by leenew »

I have typed in virtually all extant magazine and book type-in beeb-games for bbcmicro.co.uk
There are approximately 400-500 titles that have been typed in but still need uploading.
BTW, You can just type the book title into the search box to see what has been uploaded, e g. Giant book of games for your BBC Micro: http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_B=&s ... ro+&sort=u

and Games BBC Computers Play: http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_B=&s ... =on&sort=b
Last edited by leenew on Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leenew

Post by leenew »

I think these titles are still to be uploaded from "The Giant Book Of Games For Your BBC Micro":

Airshow
Animal
Bannochburn Legacy, The
Eliza
Hangman
Mastercode
Orpheus In The Underground
Pontoon
Pursuit
Simple Simon

And these from "Games BBC Computers Play":

Along The Wire
Bird Cage
Bombrun
Breakout
Checkers
Chemin De fer
Cover-Up
Cubik
Day At The Races, A
Dodgems
Dogfight
Enchanted Forest
Fairway
Invader From Epsilon VIII, The
Jockey
Le Mans
Minivaders
Moonlander
Pontoon
Singing the Interplanetary Miner Blues
Ski Run
Space Trek
Squash
Surround
Time Guardian
Tourist Trap
Wall Street
Wizard Wiz
Zap
Zombie Island

I should point out that I didn't type these particular games in. I think they came from 8BS

Lee.

P.S. At a glance, I think the contents pages printed above do not match the ones I have.... I will check more thoroughly when I get a little time.
joachim

Post by joachim »

leenew wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:19 pm
I think these titles are still to be uploaded from "The Giant Book Of Games For Your BBC Micro":

(snip)

I should point out that I didn't type these particular games in. I think they came from 8BS
I see you've added The Bannochburn Legacy already … thanks! Whoever typed them in has apparently faithfully preserved all the typos from the book, such as "Widsom" for "Wisdom" and "Fist" for "First".

So I'm wondering whether:
  • the programs were actually distributed in soft copy at some point;
  • they weren't distributed, but 8bs nevertheless got hold of Hartnell's "originals" somehow;
  • they were OCRd so flawlessly that nobody needed to edit them afterwards; or
  • they were typed in by someone strongly minded in favour of preservation of originals over usability?
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi Joachim,
This is where the book is from: http://8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/publications.shtml

Quite a good resource!

Lee.
8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG »

There's a DOS version of Bannochburn online that has both the original (with typos etc. intact) and a "modern" version (which allows lowercase input and fixes the spelling)... https://archive.org/details/bannoch.qb64

Tim was incredibly prolific during the 1980s. It is a bit of a nightmare trying to track down all the different books, the different listings... and also work out who actually wrote each program.

It's such a shame that Tim was taken well before his time. It would've been interesting to talk about those days and also see what he would've achieved in those lost decades.

Return to “archive requests”